kde 3.1 not displaying 3.1 "theme"

Post by Matt Darc » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:53:28

Hi,

I have kde 3.1 running on my LFS server. It looks great.

I have an unusual problem though.

I am using this example to clearly show the problem

1.) open exceed (remote X server program) on my windows machine.
2.) telnet into the linux box, set my display to the windows machine ip, and
export DISPLAY.
3.) run startkde

I get a GREAT kde 3.1 desktop, it looks good very pretty etc etc etc.

Infact the desktop looks like this

http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/exceed_desktop.bmp (big file could take a
minute to load)

however if I login to the console as the SAME user, I get the same desktop
but in a "less fancy" style

http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/console_desktop.png

as you can see they are both the same yet 1 is a little better looking than
the other.

To me this looks like the Console desktop does not have enough colours to
display all the fancy bits ???

Has anyone seen this ?

Know what it is ?

How to fix it ?

thanks,

Matt

kde 3.1 not displaying 3.1 "theme"

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:54:02

Quote:

> Infact the desktop looks like this

> http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/exceed_desktop.bmp (big file could take a
> minute to load)

> however if I login to the console as the SAME user, I get the same desktop
> but in a "less fancy" style

> http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/console_desktop.png

> as you can see they are both the same yet 1 is a little better looking than
> the other.

> To me this looks like the Console desktop does not have enough colours to
> display all the fancy bits ???

I agree with your assessment; you're probably running X locally at a
too-low color depth. Check your XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file in /etc
or /etc/X11. Look for the "Screen" section. It should have a number of
"Display" subsections, each with a specified color depth. Be sure you've
got one that's labeled "Depth 16" or higher ("Depth 24" or "Depth 32").
Then, BEFORE all the "Display" subsections, look for a line like the
following:

DefaultDepth 8

Change the "8" to "16" or another higher value for which you've got a
"Display" subsection. If this line isn't present, add it, and be sure the
depth is at least 16-bit. If you're using XFree86 3.x, the keyword will
be DefaultColorDepth rather than DefaultDepth. When you're done, log out
of all your programs, log out of your account, and restart X. (Some XDMCP
login servers provide an option to do this. If yours doesn't, type
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. If this kills your X server and it doesn't restart,
reboot; that'll be quicker than my trying to describe every configuration
option, since they differ so much from one distribution to another.)

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux, networking, & multi-OS configuration

Post by Matt Darc » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 04:57:37

> > Infact the desktop looks like this

> > http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/exceed_desktop.bmp (big file could take a
> > minute to load)

> > however if I login to the console as the SAME user, I get the same
desktop
> > but in a "less fancy" style

> > http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/console_desktop.png

> > as you can see they are both the same yet 1 is a little better looking
than
> > the other.

> > To me this looks like the Console desktop does not have enough colours
> > display all the fancy bits ???

> I agree with your assessment; you're probably running X locally at a
> too-low color depth. Check your XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file in /etc
> or /etc/X11. Look for the "Screen" section. It should have a number of
> "Display" subsections, each with a specified color depth. Be sure you've
> got one that's labeled "Depth 16" or higher ("Depth 24" or "Depth 32").
> Then, BEFORE all the "Display" subsections, look for a line like the
> following:

> DefaultDepth 8

> Change the "8" to "16" or another higher value for which you've got a
> "Display" subsection. If this line isn't present, add it, and be sure the
> depth is at least 16-bit. If you're using XFree86 3.x, the keyword will
> be DefaultColorDepth rather than DefaultDepth. When you're done, log out
> of all your programs, log out of your account, and restart X. (Some XDMCP
> login servers provide an option to do this. If yours doesn't, type
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. If this kills your X server and it doesn't restart,
> reboot; that'll be quicker than my trying to describe every configuration
> option, since they differ so much from one distribution to another.)

> --

> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux, networking, & multi-OS configuration

Hello Rod,

you where right, I had the display section setup fine ! however I was
missing the line

DefaultDepth 24 so it was defaulting to 8

Thanks for the input

kde 3.1 not displaying 3.1 "theme"

Post by Jorge Adrian » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 07:19:40

Quote:> Hello Rod,

> you where right, I had the display section setup fine ! however I was
> missing the line

> DefaultDepth 24 so it was defaulting to 8

> Thanks for the input

Since this is a KDE ng, I just thought I'd add that in KDE3.1 you can
configure the XServer using kxconfig, which is also available as a control
center module, in Peripherals->Display.

J.A.

kde 3.1 not displaying 3.1 "theme"

Post by Matt Darc » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:08:18

Quote:

> > Hello Rod,

> > you where right, I had the display section setup fine ! however I was
> > missing the line

> > DefaultDepth 24 so it was defaulting to 8

> > Thanks for the input

> Since this is a KDE ng, I just thought I'd add that in KDE3.1 you can
> configure the XServer using kxconfig, which is also available as a control
> center module, in Peripherals->Display.

> J.A.

FYI - tried that, I even set the colours to 24, however it didn't add the
DefaultDepth setting so it still got overridden.

It was great for configuring the Xserver other than that though.

I'll mail that in to kde.org as a bug / enchament

Matt.

1. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

I have just installed Mandrake 9.1/KDE 3.1 on my machine. I noticed
that I now have a set of icons coresponding to automounted
directories. For example, I have both a "Mounted CD-ROM" and a
"Mounted Samba (Windows)"-type icon. While I think this is a nice
trick, I would like to remove these icons from my desktop (I prefer
the command line for such things). However, I could not find any way
to achieve this; right-clicking on the icons does not offer a "delete"
choice. I would greatly appreciate if somebody would enlighten me as
to what KDE option or configuration file do I have to modify.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Gerd

2. 2 Drives mounted to the same directory?

3. KDE 3.1 - KDEinit could not launch "kfmclient"

4. FTP: "425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out." ????

5. "make install" problem (KDE 3.1, kfrontend in kdebase)

6. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

7. KDE 3.1 problem: "kdesktop got signal 4"

8. perl compile problem

9. KDE 3.1 (RH9): acroread 5.0.6 "find text" highlight problem

10. dhclient says "xl0 not found" on 3.1-release

11. kde 3.1 themes ??

12. Problem with Slackware 3.1: "/dev/console; no such file or directory" error

13. "talk" in Slackware 3.1