kde 2.2.2 and xinerama?

kde 2.2.2 and xinerama?

Post by Jan De Luyc » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:35:56



Hello All,

I was wondering how well kde-2.2.2 supports xinerama. I've used KDE for
quite some time now (just kde, no other WM), and I want to add a 2nd
screen to my linux box.

Does KDE properly handle the dead areas, and snapping to the 'active'
desktop and stuff?

Does anyone have some experience on this, and would like to share some
ideas/hints on how to get it running properly?

I've already read the xinerama howto...

Thanks!

Jan De Luyck

 
 
 

kde 2.2.2 and xinerama?

Post by Christian Hoeni » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:12:30


Hi Jan,

Quote:> I was wondering how well kde-2.2.2 supports xinerama. I've used KDE for
> quite some time now (just kde, no other WM), and I want to add a 2nd
> screen to my linux box.

I'm running KDE 2.2.2 with XFree 4.2.0 and a Matrox G400 DualHead and
Mystique 220 so that I have three displays here :)
(1024x786 + 1152x864  + 1024x768 aligned at the bottom)
Prior to XFree 4.2.0 (especially 4.1.0) I had some bad problems with drag
and drop (it did'nt work on the other but the main Display) and some fonts
were garbeled, and drawn on the wrong screen, but since 4.2.0 it is gone...

Quote:> Does KDE properly handle the dead areas, and snapping to the 'active'
> desktop and stuff?

Hmmm, snapping works quite fine everywhere, but often dialog boxes (ie:
Mozilla) pop up in the left upper corner (where i do not have visual area).
The desktop icons also apear (when sorting or adding) in the dead area!
And Kicker and its childs do not use the visible area, but the virtual one,
so that a vertical taskbar alignes at the top and (in my case) is not
visible :( .

Quote:> Does anyone have some experience on this, and would like to share some
> ideas/hints on how to get it running properly?

I would not say, that i really have experience with it, but Im running it
pretty successful now ;)

take care, have fun
/christian

 
 
 

kde 2.2.2 and xinerama?

Post by Jan De Luyc » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:35:34



> Hi Jan,

>> I was wondering how well kde-2.2.2 supports xinerama. I've used KDE for
>> quite some time now (just kde, no other WM), and I want to add a 2nd
>> screen to my linux box.

> I'm running KDE 2.2.2 with XFree 4.2.0 and a Matrox G400 DualHead and
> Mystique 220 so that I have three displays here :) (1024x786 + 1152x864
> + 1024x768 aligned at the bottom) Prior to XFree 4.2.0 (especially
> 4.1.0) I had some bad problems with drag and drop (it did'nt work on the
> other but the main Display) and some fonts were garbeled, and drawn on
> the wrong screen, but since 4.2.0 it is gone...

Nice. I'm using XFree86  4.2.0 now, so that's nice... BTW, do you have to
recompile X to get Xinerama?

Quote:>> Does KDE properly handle the dead areas, and snapping to the 'active'
>> desktop and stuff?

> Hmmm, snapping works quite fine everywhere, but often dialog boxes (ie:
> Mozilla) pop up in the left upper corner (where i do not have visual
> area). The desktop icons also apear (when sorting or adding) in the dead
> area! And Kicker and its childs do not use the visible area, but the
> virtual one, so that a vertical taskbar alignes at the top and (in my
> case) is not visible :( .

Hmm. This will be less of a problem for me since my screens will be next
to eachother (creating a very long desktop, something like 1024x1536.
It's nice to know though, that KDE does work with Xinerama.

Quote:

>> Does anyone have some experience on this, and would like to share some
>> ideas/hints on how to get it running properly?

> I would not say, that i really have experience with it, but Im running
> it pretty successful now ;)

Nice :oP

Quote:

> take care, have fun
> /christian

Jan De Luyck
 
 
 

1. Xinerama on 4 displays, 5th display not xinerama - possible?

Hello,

I have a SunBlade 2000 and have populated both UPA slots with an XVR-1000(2
heads on each).  I then have this connected to a 2x2 FPD, this works great
via:


/dev/fbs/gfb0 -dev /dev/fbs/gfb1 bottom

I'd like to now plug in a PCI card(Expert-3D or PGX64) as a fifth head
display
output. I'd like this display to be the same as the other 1, or virtual
one(made up of 4
video streams)
But I'd like this display to be different than the four XVR-1000
outputs running Xinerama.  Is this even possible? I think so, just don't
know the flags to send Xsun

Attempting a visual representation. Each X is a display. Xinerama is running
on the 2x2.

XX

XX --> X

Thanks

Joel

joel at themis dot com

2. Creating banner pages for lpr

3. Xinerama, KDE second card display messed up

4. vi-editor

5. xinerama cloning with kde ??

6. pthread not working properly

7. KDE freezes under RH7.3 with xinerama

8. Checking window ID

9. Xinerama / KDE 3.0.2

10. Compiling KDE 2.2 with Xinerama support fails.

11. KDE and Xinerama

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. Where is kde.debian.net or kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde ?