Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Post by Lee Gra » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:23:31



Newbie question alert...

I've just started playing with Red Hat Linux 7, and love it, in spite of
pulling my hair out due to my own mistakes.  I've found that I like KDE much
better than Gnome, especially after updating KDE from 1.x to 2.x.

Since I'm still learning by wiping and reinstalling everything multiple
times (on purpose!), I got curious... Is there a problem upgrading KDE (or
anything else for that matter) while it is running?  There's no prompt to
reboot or restart X, so I'm just curious how files in use get replaced.  As
you may suspect, I come from the (not-so) wonderful world of Windows.

What I'm really getting at is that I'd like to do a fresh install without
Gnome, but then upgrade KDE to 2.0.1 and I want to avoid any problems.  So
far I've been updating KDE while in Gnome.

Thanks for any insight,
Lee

 
 
 

Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Post by Paul Pygeo » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 05:30:45



> Is there a problem upgrading KDE (or
> anything else for that matter) while it is running?  There's no prompt to
> reboot or restart X, so I'm just curious how files in use get replaced.
> As you may suspect, I come from the (not-so) wonderful world of Windows.

You'll get a lot of troubles. You must update KDE in "console" mode only.
More if you try to go upgrade KDE1.x.

--
Mandrake 7.2 (Je sais... je sais :))
Kernel 2.4.0 - XFree 4.0.2

 
 
 

Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrman » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:25:06



Quote:> Newbie question alert...

> I've just started playing with Red Hat Linux 7, and love it, in spite of
> pulling my hair out due to my own mistakes.  I've found that I like KDE
> much better than Gnome, especially after updating KDE from 1.x to 2.x.

Hehe, good to hear :-)

Quote:> Since I'm still learning by wiping and reinstalling everything multiple
> times (on purpose!), I got curious... Is there a problem upgrading KDE (or
> anything else for that matter) while it is running?  There's no prompt to
> reboot or restart X, so I'm just curious how files in use get replaced.
> As you may suspect, I come from the (not-so) wonderful world of Windows.

Generally there are no serious problems. But I would not recommend it.
Unlike windows which blocks any access to files in use, unix just keeps the
file object (file descriptor) around if it is still in use. That means you
can upgrade while using KDE.
Possibly there might be problems, if e.g kded (a background process) is
still running in an older version than the newly upgraded version you are
trying to install. So a new program might not run until you restart your
KDE.

BTW in two weeks time KDE-2.1 will be released. The jump from KDE-1.1.2 to
KDE-2.01 is smaller than from KDE-2.01 to KDE-2.1. This release will be
amazing!

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann ICQ #3585990

 
 
 

Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Post by Marco Kroh » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:54:33




>> Is there a problem upgrading KDE (or
>> anything else for that matter) while it is running?  There's no prompt to
>> reboot or restart X, so I'm just curious how files in use get replaced.
>> As you may suspect, I come from the (not-so) wonderful world of Windows.

> You'll get a lot of troubles. You must update KDE in "console" mode only.
> More if you try to go upgrade KDE1.x.

My experience is that it depends on the distribution (don't know why). On a
SuSE system I have no problems, on a RedHat I have serious trouble.
Nevertheless it is probably better to upgrade from a console.

ciao, Marco

 
 
 

Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Post by Lee Gra » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:19:15




> > Is there a problem upgrading KDE (or
> > anything else for that matter) while it is running?  There's no prompt
to
> > reboot or restart X, so I'm just curious how files in use get replaced.
> > As you may suspect, I come from the (not-so) wonderful world of Windows.

> You'll get a lot of troubles. You must update KDE in "console" mode only.
> More if you try to go upgrade KDE1.x.

Thanks for the info.  I'm actually still having trouble attempting it in
from a console prompt (within Gnome)... due to the same dependency issues I
ran into using Grnopm!

Quote:> Mandrake 7.2 (Je sais... je sais :))

Tu sais, tu sais quoi?  :)

Lee

 
 
 

Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Post by Lee Gra » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:24:30





> > I've just started playing with Red Hat Linux 7, and love it, in spite of
> > pulling my hair out due to my own mistakes.  I've found that I like KDE
> > much better than Gnome, especially after updating KDE from 1.x to 2.x.

> Hehe, good to hear :-)

KDE 2.0.1 has almost single-handedly made me a Windows -> Linux convert!
Now if only I could convince corporate to let me fdisk all those NT
drives.... ;)

Quote:> Unlike windows which blocks any access to files in use, unix just keeps
the
> file object (file descriptor) around if it is still in use. That means you
> can upgrade while using KDE.

Thanks for all the detail... I've been running into quite a few dependency
problems I've seen others mention, but I keep thinking I'm just doing
something wrong.  To upgrade to KDE 2.0.1, I use Gnorpm while running Gnome
and although I've got all the files from a link at kde.org, it still says
I'm missing stuff.  It usually *seems* to work if I tell it to ignore the
error (which I assume is the same as using --nodeps from a console prompt).

Quote:> BTW in two weeks time KDE-2.1 will be released. The jump from KDE-1.1.2 to
> KDE-2.01 is smaller than from KDE-2.01 to KDE-2.1. This release will be
> amazing!

Good, can't wait!

Quote:> --
> Moritz Moeller-Herrmann ICQ #3585990

Regards,
Lee
 
 
 

Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Post by Paul Pygeo » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:56:51



>>> Mandrake 7.2 (Je sais... je sais :))

> Tu sais, tu sais quoi?  :)

Rien de spcial :) Juste un petit clin d'oeil aux nombreux dnigreurs de la
Mandrake. Les purs et durs ne semblent pas apprcier cette distrib alors
que chez moi, elle est extrmement stable et en plus j'adore les
clickodromes ;)

Quote:

> Lee

--
Mandrake 7.2 (Je sais... je sais :))
Kernel 2.4.0 - XFree 4.0.2
 
 
 

Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

Post by Lee Gra » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:30:48




> >>> Mandrake 7.2 (Je sais... je sais :))

> > Tu sais, tu sais quoi?  :)

> Rien de spcial :) Juste un petit clin d'oeil aux nombreux dnigreurs de
la
> Mandrake. Les purs et durs ne semblent pas apprcier cette distrib alors
> que chez moi, elle est extrmement stable et en plus j'adore les
> clickodromes ;)

Il me semble que c'est la mme ch?se avec Red Hat!  Mais pour un newbie
comme moi, c'est pas mal!  Je suis en train d'en rinstaller (la quinzime
fois, je crois...), mais les problmes sont les miennes, pas celles du Red
Hat.  Et quesqu'un "clickodrome"?  (Je suis amricain...).

Lee

 
 
 

1. Upgrading suse 5.2 with kde 1.0 to kde 1.0

On the June CD is kde 1.1 as source tar files.

Can I just install the base system and apps overwtiting the existing files
and then install the suse rpms for the underdevelopment rpms on suse cd.
Will suse detect dependacies as fulfilled if I do this.

Alternatively. I want this for the mod player. I downloaded this and tried
to compile it for redhat but it refued. Make generated a load of error
messages.
I must have the files needed to compile as I did a full install and packages
like xzx and snes9x compile and install ok. Anyone got this working
succesfully or can tell me what may be going wrong

2. What's the story on cron?

3. RH7 & KDE 2.1 upgrade, No icons in kde menu

4. Protocol-Rej not received

5. Hideous fonts after upgrade to KDE 3 from KDE 2

6. SbLive!

7. Upgrade KDE 2.0 to KDE 2.1.2 on FBSD 4.2R....

8. : Calling Non-Curses Apps from Curses App ?

9. A question on upgrading to KDE 3.0.1 from KDE 2.2.2 (SuSE 7.3)

10. Upgrade KDE 1.1.pre2 to KDE 1.1.1

11. Where is kde.debian.net or kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde ?

12. Kppp broken after upgrading from KDE 3.0.1 to KDE 3.0.2

13. Upgrading from KDE-1.1 to KDE-1.1.1