A KDE fib? Shame on KDE ??

Post by anonymou » Tue, 20 May 2003 14:21:08

My system has Red Hat version 9 (Shrike) code installed, running KDE 3.1
desktop.

Bringing up KMail, we find under the Help menu, a selection titled "Kmail
Introduction" Upon clicking it, a screen appears, and part of it states -

"Welcome to KMail 1.5

Some of the new features in this release of KMail include (compared to
KMail 1.4, which is part of KDE 3.0):

* IMPORTANT CHANGE: The 'Delete' Action now irrevocably deletes
  messages. Use 'Move to Trash' to put messages into the trashcan.

This is NOT true, which I found out, after manually using vim on the
folder titled "inbox" to extract a 5 megabyte plus email message which
had clogged KMail.

KMail popped up a message saying that the index was out of date, and
that deleted messages might appear again.  They did, over 900 deleted
messages, including tons of offensive SPAM.

While saving all this mail on the disk might help some government
investigator search your computer, should KDE be honest and admit
that the mail is not really trashed, and it stays there until the
wanted emails are moved to another folder, then someone manually
goes into the `inbox' and deletes it (or uses the rm; touch commands)
then brings up KDE Mail again, and lets it rebuild the index?

Shame on KDE for publishing incorrect misleading information????

Your opinion please.

A KDE fib? Shame on KDE ??

Post by Nick Colema » Tue, 20 May 2003 15:37:55

> Shame on KDE for publishing incorrect misleading information????

> Your opinion please.

Mountain != molehill

--
Nick
Mandrake 9.1

A KDE fib? Shame on KDE ??

Post by David W Noo » Tue, 20 May 2003 20:22:03

[snip]

Quote:> * IMPORTANT CHANGE: The 'Delete' Action now irrevocably deletes
>   messages. Use 'Move to Trash' to put messages into the trashcan.

> This is NOT true, which I found out, after manually using vim on the
> folder titled "inbox" to extract a 5 megabyte plus email message which
> had clogged KMail.

You need to check the "Configure Shortcuts" dialogue to ensure this is what
happans. If you have the Delete key as a shortcut for "Move to trash" then
this will override the default behaviour. The default shortcut for the
action you want is actually Shift+Delete. But you can configure each of
these.

[snip]

Quote:> Your opinion please.

About you?