Relationship between kdebindings & PyQT/PyKDE

Relationship between kdebindings & PyQT/PyKDE

Post by CyberK » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:40:28

I'm interested in developing s/w using Python for Qt/KDE but I'm
getting confused over how to handle the interface between Python and
Qt/KDE - not to mention the different versions of Python ;-/.
Both kdebindings and PyQT create a qt.py except that the kdebindings
version is in site-packages/

Should I have both kdebindings and PyQT?

SuSE 7.0 is running Python 1.5 - should I upgrade Python and which
version does anyone recommend?

- Alan

Post by Kevin Kramme » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:39:49

> I'm interested in developing s/w using Python for Qt/KDE but I'm

cool :)

Quote:> Both kdebindings and PyQT create a qt.py except that the kdebindings
> version is in site-packages/

Um, the python bindings in kdebindings are PyQT and PyKDE, so thats
actually the same PyQT package.

Quote:> Should I have both kdebindings and PyQT?

If you have kdebinding, you already have PyQT.

Quote:> SuSE 7.0 is running Python 1.5 - should I upgrade Python and which
> version does anyone recommend?

I have python 1.5.2 and it built the CVS version of kdebindings without
any warning so I think it is compatible.
I would really be suprised if the python developers broke compatibility
during 1.5.x releases so I think it shoud be ok, whatever 1.5 rversion
you have.

cheers,
Kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

Post by CyberK » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:21:57

> > I'm interested in developing s/w using Python for Qt/KDE but I'm

> cool :)

> > Both kdebindings and PyQT create a qt.py except that the kdebindings
> > version is in site-packages/

> Um, the python bindings in kdebindings are PyQT and PyKDE, so thats
> actually the same PyQT package.

> > Should I have both kdebindings and PyQT?

> If you have kdebinding, you already have PyQT.

> > SuSE 7.0 is running Python 1.5 - should I upgrade Python and which
> > version does anyone recommend?

> I have python 1.5.2 and it built the CVS version of kdebindings without
> any warning so I think it is compatible.
> I would really be suprised if the python developers broke compatibility
> during 1.5.x releases so I think it shoud be ok, whatever 1.5 rversion
> you have.

> cheers,
> Kevin

kdebindings seems to only have the qt stuff in it (qt.py, dcop.py) or
am i missing something?
- Alan

Post by Kevin Kramme » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:48:50

> kdebindings seems to only have the qt stuff in it (qt.py, dcop.py) or
> am i missing something?
> - Alan

hmm, sorry, you're right, just checked agin.

kev

--

Post by CyberK » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 15:55:23

> > kdebindings seems to only have the qt stuff in it (qt.py, dcop.py) or
> > am i missing something?
> > - Alan

> hmm, sorry, you're right, just checked agin.

> kev

Got kdebindings, compiled SIP - tried to make etc PyKDE but no go :-(
I'll have to leave this thread for the moment as I'm about to spend a
week falling over a lot at my Aikido summer school - will continue
later.
- Alan

Post by Kevin Kramme » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 20:02:42

> week falling over a lot at my Aikido summer school - will continue
> later.

have fun :)
reminds me to attend Aikodi training again.

Bye,
kevin

--

Post by Nils O. Sel?sda » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:13:18

> > > kdebindings seems to only have the qt stuff in it (qt.py,
dcop.py) or
> > > am i missing something?
> > > - Alan

> > hmm, sorry, you're right, just checked agin.

> > kev
> Got kdebindings, compiled SIP - tried to make etc PyKDE but no go :-(
> I'll have to leave this thread for the moment as I'm about to spend a
> week falling over a lot at my Aikido summer school - will continue

Isnt PyKDE, atleast the one from thekompany for kde 1  ;-(

Post by CyberK » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:17:58

>  dcop.py) or

> > > hmm, sorry, you're right, just checked agin.

> > > kev
> > Got kdebindings, compiled SIP - tried to make etc PyKDE but no go :-(
> > I'll have to leave this thread for the moment as I'm about to spend a
> > week falling over a lot at my Aikido summer school - will continue
> Isnt PyKDE, atleast the one from thekompany for kde 1  ;-(

Yes it is - this is part of the confusion - kdebindings seems to be
incompatible with PyQT - it only has qt stuff (i.e. no kde APIs).
PyKDE is only for KDE1 with no obvious signs of a version for KDE2.
Then of course there's the different versions of Python (1.5, 2.x etc)
I begin to think I'm wasting my time on this - I was hoping to work
with Python rather than try and get my aging brain around c++ and its
pointer handling (as far as I can see c/c++ are write only languages
:-P) but this may be the only way out.

- Back, bruised but unbowed - Alan