Lockups with KDE 1.1.2 and Nvidia graphics card

Lockups with KDE 1.1.2 and Nvidia graphics card

Post by Neil McAlliste » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Try XFree86 3.3.6.  I have it working with a TNT2 card with no obvious
problems.

Neil

Lockups with KDE 1.1.2 and Nvidia graphics card

Post by Steven Elli » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am runnin REdHat 6.1 with XFree86 3.3.5 and an NVidia TNT-2 M64 graphics
card running 1024x768 in 32 bit colour.

I keep getting lockups under X where no on the apps respond. I usually have
to restart X in order to get back control of the machine. If I attempt too
much before switching to a colsole or restarting X the ketboard buffer
appears to fill up and I have to reset the entire machine.

Anyone else experiencing this or know of a solution.

Steve

Post by Nikita V. Youshchenk » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I am runnin REdHat 6.1 with XFree86 3.3.5 and an NVidia TNT-2 M64 graphics
>card running 1024x768 in 32 bit colour.

>I keep getting lockups under X where no on the apps respond. I usually have
>to restart X in order to get back control of the machine. If I attempt too
>much before switching to a colsole or restarting X the ketboard buffer
>appears to fill up and I have to reset the entire machine.

>Anyone else experiencing this or know of a solution.

>Steve

If you are using KDE 1.1.x on SMP machine (not sure SMP is necessary, but I
saw that only on SMP), you may suffer from a bug that is there in krootwm. I've
posted about it some time ago ...

The problem is that it calls XGrabServer() and then does some interaction with
mouse. If at this time mouse pointer is grabbed by another process (most likely
kwm), you will get a complete freeze, the only way is to login remotely and
kill krootwm. It's strange that XGrabServer() returns when mouse is already
grabbed, but that's true :-(.

Nikita

1. X4.1.0 freezes with Nvidia and/or ATi graphics cards

Hi,

I've been trying to solve this problem for months with no luck.  XF86 4.x
freezes at seemingly random intervals.  It becomes completely unresponsive
-- no mouse, keyboard in particular.  The system itself still runs, but
it's enormously inconvenient to get to another machine from which I can
telnet in and shut my computer down.  I started having this problem as
soon as I installed X4 for the first time, and almost ALL of the hardware
(with the exception of my NIC, one stick of RAM and a soundcard) in my
system has changed since I first had the problem.  I'm currently running
Slackware 8 with an NVIDIA Geforce2 MX on an ABIT mobo (athlon tbird 850
processor), but my old system -- with which I experienced the same
instability -- was running Debian 2.2 and/or Slackware 7.1 with X 4.x
compiled manually (various 2.2 and 2.4 kernels have all exhibited this
problem).  The hardware in the old system was K6-2 300 processor,
ATi 3D Rage Pro, so I can't even say that it's a problem with the NVIDIA
drivers, because the same problem occurred without them.

I've enabled the sysrq keys in the kernel, and they work from console, but
once X crashes, alt-sysrq-b seems to be the only one that actually works
(alt-sysrq-s, alt-sysrq-u and alt-sysrq-k do nothing). alt-sysrq-b alone
is, of course, no better for my system than just slamming the reset
button, so the sysrq keys haven't helped me much.

I've tried running individually with each stick of RAM that I own (with
any of them, the system eventually freezes), and the only common points
that I can see are my NIC (using the tulip driver in the kernel), my
soundcard (SBLive), and the fact that I'm running an AGP card on a VIA
chipset.

Within the NVIDIA driver configuration, I've tried forcing NVIDIA's AGP
driver, forcing kernel AGPGART (which doesn't seem to actually work,
according to the X logs), and disabling AGP altogether.  All of them
eventually cause a freeze.  The crashes seem to occur at random times (ie.
it doesn't matter what I'm doing or which app I'm doing it in), and they
almost invariably happen within 2 hours of starting X -- sometimes within
five minutes.

I can't find anything really indicative of any sort of failure in the X
log (with the exception that the kernel's AGPGART isn't successfully
loaded when I try to load it).  Any hints or pointers would be greatly
appreciated -- I'm at my wit's end with this.  I've been using Windows
more and more lately just because I'm scared to do anything important in X
because I don't know when it'll freeze.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the lengthy message.

--

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary.

2. Login Using Mac SSH Application?

3. X server for Nvidia GeForce graphics card?

4. Search and Destroy

5. vivo ports on nvidia graphics cards

6. Module versioning question

7. STB nVidia graphics card

8. <none>

9. Nvidia graphics card for Linux RH 9.0?

10. Getting / Installing Graphics Card Drivers (32MB NVidia GeForce2 MX)

11. woes with nvidia graphics card

12. Getting Solaris on Intel working with NVidia TNT2 graphics card

13. Diamond Viper nVidia TNT AGP graphics card support?