Switching to KDE, some performance questions

Switching to KDE, some performance questions

Post by John Harl » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:10:21

Hi:

I am a long time linux user and I've been running enlightenment as my
window manager (I load it, not gnome-session in my.xinitrc) for
several years now.

I'm switching over to KDE (v3.1) and I am interested in ways I can
improve performance. I still plan to run several gnome apps under kde
that I have run for years under enlightenment (evolution, galeon,
Eterm for example.)

They all run and behave properly, but I've noticed as the day goes on,
they get slower. Eterm for example comes up very fast when I've first
started KDE, but by the afternoon it is taking 7-8 seconds to come up
(and that's with everything except kpager and gkrellm closed.) The
system also becomes jerkier (mouse movement for example.)

My box is a tecra 9000 (1 gHz pIII w/1 gig ram.) OS bits are RH 7.3,
kernel is 2.4.21 and kde bits are ASP Linux 3.1-0.74asp.

I've got plenty of free memory
              total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:       1032876     830732     202144          0     106424
329832
-/+ buffers/cache:     394476     638400
Swap:      1052216          0    1052216

and when I run top with everything closed, it is my heaviest process.

I'm looking for pointers on where to look/what to adjust.

Thanks
John

Post by ataraxia250 » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:52:55

> I still plan to run several gnome apps under kde
> that I have run for years under enlightenment (evolution, galeon,
> Eterm for example.)

I'm sorry but don't use KDE if you plan to keep using evolution and galeon!
Konqueror as a web browser and kontact are some of the best things about KDE
and galeon is too slow at launch compared to konqueror. U'd better use
gnome but please don't use KDE without getting advantage of its best apps,
it's would be like driving a ferrari at 50 miles/h on an empty highway!
that would be such a waste it would break dr konqui's heart! :)

Post by John Harl » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:33:14

> > I still plan to run several gnome apps under kde
> > that I have run for years under enlightenment (evolution, galeon,
> > Eterm for example.)
> I'm sorry but don't use KDE if you plan to keep using evolution and galeon!
> Konqueror as a web browser and kontact are some of the best things about KDE
> and galeon is too slow at launch compared to konqueror. U'd better use
> gnome but please don't use KDE without getting advantage of its best apps,

Actually, I like konqueror ok. It far exceeds nautilus as a file
explorer. For me  it is missing some relatively simple web browsing
features, like being able to not display images (ads for example) from
selected sites and managing that list on-the-fly (right-click; add to
this my list of sites to ignore images from.) The typical solution I
see to this for browsing with konqueror is external, use a filtering
proxy, add entries to your /etc/hosts file, etc... All of these
require that I copy the link location, escape from the browser, become
superuser and futz around with something else, somewhere. I don't like
ads and that's too much trouble compared to a right click.

Evolution is admittedly somewhat of a hog (much like Outlook) but it
is very stable (1.4) and has better email filtering than m$ ever
thought of having. 0 spam gets thru my filters. I can use shell
commands, external filters, internal filters and I can even manually
edit the XML rules file if I need to. I may switch to kontact
eventually, but not a 0.2 version. If my email was just for fun I'd
try it, but not for critical business email.

Quote:> it's would be like driving a ferrari at 50 miles/h on an empty highway!
> that would be such a waste it would break dr konqui's heart! :)

Other than this creeping slowness (and it is mostly at startup of an
Eterm window which is where I spend most of my time) I am pleased with
KDE. I think is preferable to gnome 1 (or 2.) Once I figured out how
to get the icons off my desktop and to get (sort of) rid of the pop-up
menu bar at the bottom, I was able to get my desktop pretty much where
I want it. I do like the Liquid menus, etc...

Switching to KDE, some performance questions

Post by Sayantan Su » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:47:50

John,

Quote:> My box is a tecra 9000 (1 gHz pIII w/1 gig ram.) OS bits are RH 7.3,
> kernel is 2.4.21 and kde bits are ASP Linux 3.1-0.74asp.

Pretty decent memory you got ... You _should_ be able to run whatever
applications you want.

Quote:> I've got plenty of free memory
>               total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:       1032876     830732     202144          0     106424
> 329832
> -/+ buffers/cache:     394476     638400
> Swap:      1052216          0    1052216

> and when I run top with everything closed, it is my heaviest process.

Hmm, interesting. Why should eterm take so much time to come up ? Why don't
you try doing :
$ ps -aef
*when* the eterm is taking so long to start ? It will give you an idea of
what processes are running exactly when the problem starts to occur. Your
problem seems to me like a memory leak issue. If you see any fishy
application when your eterm is taking ages to launch, try and run that
application under memprof and check out whether that has any memory leaks !

--
Sayantan Sur

Graduate Research Assistant
Dept. of Computer Science
The Ohio State University.

1. Strange KDE problems, considering switching KDE for desktop from Win2k

Hi-

I've been a Linux user for years and am considering making the big switch to
Linux/KDE for my desktop, but I have a few problems that keep me from
making the switch. I'm hoping I can get past these and make the switch, so
any help would be appreciated.

1. I just logged into http://my.yahoo.com and when the the security dialog
displayed it was empty and there was no way to make the dialog disappear. I
even tried the close button. Ideas?

2. Java just doesn't work in Konqueror. I've tried jdsk 1.4 and Blackdown
1.3.1 same problems. With BD I can see the JAR contents being downloaded
but the applet doesn't display.

3. Lots of stalled downloads. I notice the same sites that stall in KDE
download fine in Windows.

4. How in the heck do I get KOrganizer to display a reminder? I setup an
appointment and click reminder and no msg window appears at the appt time
(minus the reminder minutes).

5. How do I upgrade to KDE 3.0.3. I see where I can download it, but there
are no good instructions.

Again, any help with these items would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

2. Anyone get Linux on a Shuttle SpaceWalker SS40?

3. 10Mb card at full duplex has jerky performance on new switch.

4. Backup a entire System

5. New: i386 context switch very slow compared to 2.4 due to wrmsr (performance)

6. can lilo be installed without linux

7. context switching performance

8. true type fonts in linux

9. Measuring a switch performance

10. New: i386 context switch very slow compared to 2.4 due to wrmsr (performance)

11. Switch performance - is this typical

12. Slow Performance w/Hubs & Switches

13. Context switching performance of SunOS