transparant background in menu?

Post by RonB » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 02:59:15

I saw a kde theme that had a transparant menu background, you could
actually see the desktopbackground thrue it. Does anybody know where i can
configure this in KDE2?
--
Linux newbie running suse 7.1

transparant background in menu?

Post by Wolfgang Scheiche » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 05:27:25

Quote:> I saw a kde theme that had a transparant menu background, you could
> actually see the desktopbackground thrue it. Does anybody know where i can
> configure this in KDE2?

iirc this is a seperate theme currently in development. it is not in the
standart KDE release.

it is rather new and not stable yet imho

see http://www.mosfet.org for details

        Worf

Post by Guus vd Brin » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 06:26:44

Quote:>> I saw a kde theme that had a transparant menu background, you could
>> actually see the desktopbackground thrue it. Does anybody know where i
>> can configure this in KDE2?

> iirc this is a seperate theme currently in development. it is not in the
> standart KDE release.

It is in the 2.2 series, but it is also being developed seperately by the
original coder, which is mosfet. It's called meaggardient and liquid style
- one is black, the other one is purple...

Quote:> it is rather new and not stable yet imho

I totally agree, it works for a while but then programs start crashing
randomly and opening a context menu causes segfaults. This is very bad and
it had been for a while so I would recommend to wait a while before giving
it a try. It sure looks great, but if it doesnt work (...)

Guus

--

Registered Linux user #219790 -- http://counter.li.org/

Post by RonB » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 16:30:36

>>> I saw a kde theme that had a transparant menu background, you could
>>> actually see the desktopbackground thrue it. Does anybody know where i
>>> can configure this in KDE2?

>> iirc this is a seperate theme currently in development. it is not in the
>> standart KDE release.

> It is in the 2.2 series, but it is also being developed seperately by the
> original coder, which is mosfet. It's called meaggardient and liquid style
> - one is black, the other one is purple...

>> it is rather new and not stable yet imho

> I totally agree, it works for a while but then programs start crashing
> randomly and opening a context menu causes segfaults. This is very bad and
> it had been for a while so I would recommend to wait a while before giving
> it a try. It sure looks great, but if it doesnt work (...)

> Guus

I agree and will wait. I was just wondering why the terminal with
transparent windows doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Does this work
differently?

RB

Post by Ralf Nolde » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 17:27:33

>>> iirc this is a seperate theme currently in development. it is not in the
>>> standart KDE release.

>> It is in the 2.2 series, but it is also being developed seperately by the
>> original coder, which is mosfet. It's called meaggardient and liquid
>> style - one is black, the other one is purple...

>>> it is rather new and not stable yet imho

>> I totally agree, it works for a while but then programs start crashing
>> randomly and opening a context menu causes segfaults. This is very bad
>> and it had been for a while so I would recommend to wait a while before
>> giving it a try. It sure looks great, but if it doesnt work (...)

>> Guus

> I agree and will wait. I was just wondering why the terminal with
> transparent windows doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Does this
> work differently?

Yes, it works differently. AFAIK the styles use some X extension (not sure
about that) and the console transparent background is just copying the
section of the background as a pixmap into the console background. That's
why you don't see the icons in it if you place a transparent console over
icons. It could be made better by taking screenshots of that particular
section that is needed to be displayed; anyway it is still a lot slower in
konsole than in the style but at least it doesn't cause crashes.

Ralf
Ralf Nolden

The K Desktop Environment       The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org              http://www.kdevelop.org

1. Background thumbnails via Menu

Hello,

I saw a cool thing today that one of my co-workers has set up on his
Linux box.   He was able to bring some thumbnails of his back drops
right from the elightenment menu.   Basically he right clicked to get
his menu  went down and selected backgrounds or something and wala there
was a small window displaying all his backgrounds in thumbnail format.
He could then click anyone of them and it would be set has his
wallpaper.  The cool thing was it seemed to be an extention of the menu,
not an actual app opened via the menu.  Anyhoo...I was wondering if any
one has seen this and can tell what it is.   It may very well be
something homegrown, but I thought I would ask.  I have searched quite a
bit on google with no luck.  TIA.

Bobby C.

2. How to config Efficient 3010 ATM card?

3. Changing the Grub menu background.

4. Apache & Squid Proxy

5. Transparant console

6. linux kernel bug report

7. transparant png

8. Strange Shared SSL

9. transparant PROXY.

10. Transparant POP proxy with virus scanning.

11. Transparant Panel?

12. pf and transparant bridge

13. Transparant printers and XON/XOFF-handshaking