Telnet / FTP

Post by John Culleto » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

1. Go to a text console (ctrl/alt/f5 or whatever.)
2. keyin "man ftp".
3. for more indepth treatment try "Linux Network Administration"
(O'Reilly & associates.)

Ftp (although it can work under a browser like netscape) is
basically a comand line character based protocol. In Linux the
command line is still essential.

Telnet is a different animal. It converts your Linux system into
a dumb terminal in contact with some server that accepts Telnet
connections. Not all ISP's allow for this (mine does). Telnet can
also be used internally to access your own machine as if you were
an external terminal. This helps with  certain DBMS packages etc.
The same rules apply. First RTFM then try the O'Reilly book.

Before youy  scour the web scour your system. I assume SuSe has
similar facilities (man pages, howotos etc.) as Slackware. If not
let me know and I will point you to the sites where you can
download them.

John Culleton
Please visit http://ccpl.carr.org/~john/
My Linux Slackware 2.2.15 system on Monday May 22 2000
 10:08am  up 8 days, 11:43,  5 users,  load average: 0.89, 0.35,
0.12
~

>Please can some one point me to documentation on setting up
Telnet and FTP
>on SuSE Linux.

>I have scoured the web for info and found nothing helpful.

>Thanks,

>Robert

1. Something odd with telnet, ftp, rlogin.....

I got my ppp connection up.  However, when i try telnet, ftp, or rlogin, it
only works if I use the IP address.  For instance,

telnet foo.bar.com

It give an error message....

telnet 123.234.34.3

will connect.....

any ideas whats up.....

_chris_

2. /etc permissions?

3. telnet, ftp fine for win95, not linux box

4. GUS & SBpro probs.

5. telnet/ftp my machine when not online?

6. nslookup not resolving

7. telnet/ftp from csh to IBM ip_address.

8. Bash reference

9. can ping ip but can't telnet/ftp

10. Reconfiguring network card - was Telnet/FTP refuse connection

11. telnet/ftp connection damn slow

12. telnet, ftp over ppp, sluggish startup problem

13. telnet, ftp, http not working