Konqueror fonts can cause vomiting

Post by Luke Sande » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 07:53:47

I have had problems with getting true-type fonts properly to work
since I have upgraded to KDE 3. Mozilla has no problems rendering
fonts beautifully, but Konqueror (and KDE help) is still ugly and
scribble-like after I set the fonts to the same as those used by
Mozilla (Times [Adobe], Helvetica [Adobe], etc). What is the real
problem here? It can't be some obscure X configuration file if it's
working correctly in Mozilla. It must be in KDE. Is there something in
the KHTML source I can change to make it anti-alias fonts correctly?
Does it not anti-alias fonts by default?

Post by Rolf Magnu » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:50:28

> I have had problems with getting true-type fonts properly to work
> since I have upgraded to KDE 3. Mozilla has no problems rendering
> fonts beautifully, but Konqueror (and KDE help) is still ugly and
> scribble-like after I set the fonts to the same as those used by
> Mozilla (Times [Adobe], Helvetica [Adobe], etc). What is the real
> problem here? It can't be some obscure X configuration file if it's
> working correctly in Mozilla. It must be in KDE. Is there something in
> the KHTML source I can change to make it anti-alias fonts correctly?
> Does it not anti-alias fonts by default?

Did you look in KControl under your font settings, if antialiasing is
switched on?

Konqueror fonts can cause vomiting

Post by Arne Schmit » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:12:26

Luke Sandell schrieb:

Quote:> but Konqueror (and KDE help) is still ugly and
> scribble-like after I set the fonts to the same as those used by
> Mozilla (Times [Adobe], Helvetica [Adobe], etc).

XFree can't anti-alias Type1 fonts (like those from Adobe). Only TrueType
Fonts like "Times New Roman" or "Arial" can be anti-aliased. This is not a
KDE limitation, but rather an XFree/XFT thingy.

Cheers,

        Arne

--
We must put aside the weapons of our minds
Cross the no man's land, come with empty hands

[--- PGP key FD05BED7 --- http://www.root42.de/ ---]

Konqueror fonts can cause vomiting

Post by Arne Schmit » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:15:50

Arne Schmitz schrieb:

Quote:> XFree can't anti-alias Type1 fonts

Oops... That's not true. :-) But check the following link for more
information about anti-aliasing in KDE:

http://dot.kde.org/989808269/

Cheers,

        Arne

--
does anybody feel the way I do? is there anybody out there?
are you hearing me? if I believe in you will you believe in me?

[--- PGP key FD05BED7 --- http://www.root42.de/ ---]

Konqueror fonts can cause vomiting

Post by Luke Sande » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 07:31:49

Arne Schmitz wrote

Quote:> XFree can't anti-alias Type1 fonts (like those from Adobe). Only TrueType
> Fonts like "Times New Roman" or "Arial" can be anti-aliased. This is not a
> KDE limitation, but rather an XFree/XFT thingy.

But mozilla 1.0 seems to have no problem antialiasing these fonts,
unless it is really using different fonts stored somewhere else. So
where can I get these true type fonts from? And yes, I have
Anti-aliasing enabled in control center.

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:36:50

> But mozilla 1.0 seems to have no problem antialiasing these fonts,
> unless it is really using different fonts stored somewhere else. So
> where can I get these true type fonts from? And yes, I have
> Anti-aliasing enabled in control center.

If there is a problem, then Qt WILL substitute fonts and if you don't
have X setup correctly then it may even try to scale bitmapped fonts
(very ugly).

For AA to work in KDE, you need to have the directories for the fonts
listed in the obscure X configuration file: "/etc/X11/XftConfig".

So, first check that.

--
JRT

1. Konqueror: Terminal Emulator Font

Hi,

I saw a previous post on this, saying this is not configurable.  I
have this Arioso font, which looks silly in the emulator.  THis only
happened after I started messing around with the Konqueror Settings
though.  I can't set it back now, and it is very annoying.  Anyway to
change it, since I can't seem to be able to do so?  Have to use
2.2-11, not my machine to configure, using XFree to get to it.

Thx,
mat

2. virus and sco unix

3. font weirdness in konqueror

4. Apache Logging

5. font selection in konqueror KDE3.0

6. RPM conflicts with installing a newer version

7. Large font when printing from Knode, Kmail, konqueror etc

8. Customised case badges

9. Konqueror Fonts look like crap

10. Messed up fonts in Konqueror

11. konqueror (kde 2.2.1) browser font changing no longer working

12. Font problems with KDE2 Konqueror

13. Konqueror prints in small font