KDE 2.1 Menus and Desktop Icons

Post by Brian Pay » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:30:51

Hi,

A while back I had to 'lock' down the KDE 1.2 desktop for a corporate
desktop and with some advice from David Faure this was acheived by
editing the source code, we are now upgrading to 2.1 and need to do
the same.

How can I stop the CDROM and floppy icons from re appearing on the
desktop every time a user logs in?

How can I stop a user from right clicking on a desktop icon to change
its properties?

How can I stop them from configuring the Panel.

Thanks
Brian Payne

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:36:45

> Hi,

> A while back I had to 'lock' down the KDE 1.2 desktop for a corporate
> desktop and with some advice from David Faure this was acheived by
> editing the source code, we are now upgrading to 2.1 and need to do
> the same.

You will probably want to set the permissions for "$HOME/Desktop" to:
root:root 755 to keep users from adding stuff to the desktop.

Quote:> How can I stop the CDROM and floppy icons from re appearing on the
> desktop every time a user logs in?

In the Control Center:

    Look & Feel => Desktop: uncheck "Enable Dynamic Desktop Devices"

If you want to restrict access to the CD-ROM and floppy drive, you can
remove "user" or "users" from that drives parameters in "/etc/fstab".
If, with the floppy, it is only DOS (& Windows) floppies, you can set
the "umask" to 77.

If you don't want anyone but root mounting removable media, then set the
directory: "/mnt/" to: root:root 700.

Quote:> How can I stop a user from right clicking on a desktop icon to change
> its properties?

You can change any icon file to: root:root 644, and then users can use
the icon but not change it.

Quote:> How can I stop them from configuring the Panel.

Does making "kickerrc": root:root 644 work?

If you don't want them running the Control Center, you can remove it
from the panel and/or change its execution permission:  root:root 700.

JRT