Installed KDE from source, KDE won't start

Installed KDE from source, KDE won't start

Post by krono » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:15:31

I removed KDE 2.1, then compiled and installed kdelibs 2.2 and kdebase 2.2
without any errors.

When I tried to load KDE, I realized the startup script was missing.  I
tried copying the old startkde script to /usr/bin but get an error when I
execute it.  What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing?

Installed KDE from source, KDE won't start

Post by Florian Bachman » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 05:14:51

Quote:> mpiled and installed kdelibs 2.2 and kdebase 2.2 without any errors.

> When I tried to load KDE, I realized the startup script was missing.  I
> tried copying the old startkde script to /usr/bin but get an error when
> I execute it.  What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing?

Hi there,

you should at least include the exact wording of the error message you
get. Just telling the world "it doesn't work" will not get you anywhere.
The startscript ("startkde") IS contained in the kdebase package as of
2.2, so my guess would be that your KDE directory is not in the current
path. To verify this, execute these commands:

#> export KDEDIR="path/to/kde"
#> export PATH="$PATH:$KDEDIR/bin"

prior to running startkde.

--

Post by krono » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:57:54

>> mpiled and installed kdelibs 2.2 and kdebase 2.2 without any errors.

>> When I tried to load KDE, I realized the startup script was missing.  I
>> tried copying the old startkde script to /usr/bin but get an error when
>> I execute it.  What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing?

> Hi there,

> you should at least include the exact wording of the error message you
> get. Just telling the world "it doesn't work" will not get you anywhere.
> The startscript ("startkde") IS contained in the kdebase package as of
> 2.2, so my guess would be that your KDE directory is not in the current
> path.

Very weird.  According to the message appearing at the end of the kdebase
installation, all I needed to do was make sure that /usr/bin was in my
PATH, which it was.  Anyway, I did a reinstall, and this time was able to
load KDE by executing "startkde".  No changes to configuration files
whatsoever?!?

Installed KDE from source, KDE won't start

Post by Florian Bachman » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:36:49

Quote:> Very weird.  According to the message appearing at the end of the
> kdebase installation, all I needed to do was make sure that /usr/bin was
> in my PATH, which it was.  Anyway, I did a reinstall, and this time was
> able to load KDE by executing "startkde".  No changes to configuration
> files whatsoever?!?

I'm glad to hear it finally worked out for you.

--

1. KDE 1.1.1 and RH5.2, KDE won't start

I just installed KDE 1.1.1, onto RH 5.2, ran the command
/opt/kde/bin/kdm_on, and then run telinit 3; telinit 5. What
happens is, I get the Red Hat login screen, enter my ID and Pass
(I happen to be using root's account) hit enter, the screen
flickers, then pauses, then goes back to the login screen. I
never get to kde. Does anyone have any ideas about what's going
on here?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. No text in menus or dialog boxes - any help ???

3. KDE won't start now I've installed kernel patch 2.2.9

4. Etherlink 3c900 and Linux 2.0.18?

5. KDE v2.2.1's Konqueror won't start!

6. Connecting to a Win98 Machine for Internet Access over LAN

7. why does kde sometimes install to /opt/kde, and sometimes to /usr/local/kde?

8. KDE Resolution

9. KDE flashes, won't start

10. KDE won't start???

11. KDE 2.0 won't start???

12. kdm won't start kde

13. KDE Konqueror/file manager won't start