special keys in kmail and knode

Post by Huhu » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:48:35

Hello everybody,

after upgrading to KDE 2.2 on a SuSE-6.4 system it is no longer
possible to enter special keys like german "umlaute" in "kmail" or
"knode".  Pressing one fo those keys marks the entire text and pressing
the next key overwrites the marked text.

Entering of characters with accents (french or spanish) also doesn't
work with these two applications.  But it works fine in "kwrite".

Can anyone give me a hint how to stop/change this behavior?

Thanks.

Post by Huhu » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 00:39:10

> Hello everybody,

> after upgrading to KDE 2.2 on a SuSE-6.4 system it is no longer
> possible to enter special keys like german "umlaute" in "kmail" or
> "knode".  Pressing one fo those keys marks the entire text and pressing
> the next key overwrites the marked text.

> Entering of characters with accents (french or spanish) also doesn't
> work with these two applications.  But it works fine in "kwrite".

> Can anyone give me a hint how to stop/change this behavior?

Meanwhile I found out, that it is possible to enter the above chars by
holding the left "Alt"-key pressed.  And it seems to affect also "kab".
But the situation is still very annoying and I would be glad for any hints
to change this behavior.

Thanks.

special keys in kmail and knode

Post by Torsten Bernhar » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 01:00:05

I have the same problem even with KDE2.1.2 which I installed from the Suse
7.2 CDs. I have a french keyboard (so choosen as primary keyboard layout in
"Personalization->Keyboard layout->Layout"). Though I can't compose
characters with french accents on top nor German Characters with Umlaute
which works the same way on a french Keyboard. Everything works fine with
StarOffice and Netscape but all KDE applikations fail.

What to do??? Any ideas

Thanks
Torsten BERNHARD