kdm doesn't display background after upgrade

kdm doesn't display background after upgrade

Post by FuzzyLogi » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 05:20:37

Hello,

I just upgraded from KDE 3.0.1 to KDE 3.0.5 and now KDM refuses to display
any background images, it only displays colours.  Doing research on the internet
I found someone suggested copying the:
/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsetup to
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
unfortunately this did not work.  I have also tried adding the line
ExportList=QTDIR
to the /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
I have included my kdmrc and Xsetup files for ref.

***BEGIN Xsetup***
#! /bin/sh
# Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

(
  PIDFILE=/var/run/kdmdesktop-$DISPLAY.pid
  /opt/kde/bin/kdmdesktop &
  echo $! >$PIDFILE
  wait $!
  rm $PIDFILE
) &

#xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail -file /dev/xconsole &
***END Xsetup***

***BEGIN kdmrc***
[Desktop0]
BackgroundMode=Flat
BlendBalance=100
BlendMode=NoBlending
ChangeInterval=60
Color1=30,114,160
Color2=192,192,192
CurrentWallpaper=0
LastChange=0
MinOptimizationDepth=1
MultiWallpaperMode=NoMulti
Pattern=
Program=
ReverseBlending=false
UseSHM=false
Wallpaper=/opt/kde/share/wallpapers/kde3blue.jpg
WallpaperList=
WallpaperMode=Scaled

[General]
ExportList=QTDIR
PidFile=/var/run/xdm-pid
Xservers=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers

[Shutdown]
HaltCmd=/sbin/halt
LiloCmd=/sbin/lilo
LiloMap=/boot/map
RebootCmd=/sbin/reboot
UseLilo=false

[X-*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=false
AllowRootLogin=false
AllowShutdown=Root
AutoReLogin=false
Reset=/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xreset
Resources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
Session=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
Setup=/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsetup
Startup=/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xstartup

[X-*-Greeter]
AntiAliasing=true
AuthComplain=true
DefaultUser=aaespinoza
EchoMode=OneStar
FailFont=Verdana [Xft],10,-1,5,74,0,0,0,0,0
FocusPasswd=false
GUIStyle=Default
GreetFont=Verdana [Xft],15,-1,5,48,0,0,0,0,0
GreetString=Welcome to %n
GreeterPosFixed=false
GreeterPosX=100
GreeterPosY=100
HiddenUsers=adm,alias,amanda,antonio,apache,bin,bind,daemon,exim,falken,ftp,games,gdm,gopher,halt,httpd,ident,imnadm,ingres,kmem,lp,mail,mailnull,man,mta,mysql,named,news,nfsnobody,nobody,nscd,ntp,operator,pcap,pop,postfix,postgres,qmaild,qmaill,qmailp,qmailq,qmailr,qmails,radvd,reboot,rpc,rpcuser,rpm,sendmail,shutdown,squid,sympa,sync,test,tty,uucp,xfs,xten,
Language=en_GB
LogoArea=Clock
LogoPixmap=
MaxShowUID=65535
MinShowUID=0
PreselectUser=None
SelectedUsers=aaespinoza,root,
SessionTypes=default,kde,failsafe,
ShowUsers=Selected
SortUsers=true
StdFont=Verdana [Xft],11,-1,5,48,0,0,0,0,0

[X-:*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=true
AllowRootLogin=true
AllowShutdown=All
NoPassEnable=false
NoPassUsers=

[X-:0-Core]
Authorize=true
AutoLogin1st=true
AutoLoginEnable=false
AutoLoginUser=aaespinoza
Reset=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
Setup=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
Startup=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole

[X-:1-Core]
Authorize=true

[Xdmcp]
Enable=false
KeyFile=/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/xdm-keys
Willing=su nobody -c /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling
Xaccess=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
***END kdmrc***

any help is appreciated, thank you.
--
-Fuzzy||Logik

kdm doesn't display background after upgrade

Post by Nikolay Zhuravle » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:44:59

I remember removing calls to xsri and xsetroot in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
and /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
Then the Control Center/System/Login Manager/Administrator can be used
to tune the rest of the stuff (file /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc)

Nick

>HiddenUsers=adm,alias,amanda,antonio,apache,bin,bind,daemon,exim,falken,ftp,games,gdm,gopher,halt,httpd,ident,imnadm,ingres,kmem,lp,mail,mailnull,man,mta,mysql,named,news,nfsnobody,nobody,nscd,ntp,operator,pcap,pop,postfix,postgres,qmaild,qmaill,qmailp,qmailq,qmailr,qmails,radvd,reboot,rpc,rpcuser,rpm,sendmail,shutdown,squid,sympa,sync,test,tty,uucp,xfs,xten,

no, it is not a good idea to let everybody know usernames/services that
exist on your machine ;)

kdm doesn't display background after upgrade

Post by FuzzyLogi » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 05:43:31

Quote:> I remember removing calls to xsri and xsetroot in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
> and /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
> Then the Control Center/System/Login Manager/Administrator can be used
> to tune the rest of the stuff (file /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc)

> Nick

Thanks but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be having an effect.
I appreciate the attempt though.

Quote:> no, it is not a good idea to let everybody know usernames/services that
> exist on your machine ;)

Whoops!

cheers,

--
-Fuzzy||Logik

1. kdm doesn't read [KDM] part of config file

Well it's more than that, even.  I had kdm running fine from inittab
with RH 5.2 and kde 1.1.  I upgraded to RH6.0 and their 1.1.1 (including
their updated final 1.1.1 RPMs).  OK, so I forgot that I was supposed to
remove the 1.1 RPMs first, but things went well anyways, even though I
had to RPM -e everything because I didn't realize RedHat sends it into
/usr instead of /opt/kde.  So I reinstalled with --relocatepkg.

Anyways, everything works great except kdm.  When I first tried to run
it from inittab, it would provide the bare-bones login screen, i.e.
without any kdmrc file, even though it was sitting in
/opt/kde/share/config/ just as before.  Then I noticed that just as with
kde 1.1, there was a .kde directory in the root directory, which I had
ignored before.  This time I looked there, and there was a
/.kde/share/config/ directory there (and I forget if there was even a
generic kdmrc file as well).  Anyways, since I was trying everything, I
put my kdmrc file there, and this half-solved the problem.  Now kdm
reads the [KDMDESKTOP] part of the file, but not the [KDM] portion.  By
this I mean that I get the background bitmap I specify, but none of the
dialog box customization.  The part of the dialogue box where the
smaller bitmap is supposed to go is blurred out.

What's stranger still, is that I can get kdm to work perfectly if I boot
into run level 3 (multiuser, no X), then log in as root, and run "kdm
-nodaemon".  Then everything works fine.   But of course, that defeats
the objective of booting into X.

Here is the applicable line from my inittab:

id:5:initdefault:
 --(snip other stuff)--
x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon

and here is my kdmrc that is in both /opt/kde/share/config/ and
/.kde/share/config/

# KDE Config File
[KDMDESKTOP]
# BackgroundColor=#00a5c6
FancyBackGround=false
BackgroundPicture=/opt/kde/share/wallpapers/ruins.jpg
BackGroundPictureMode=Tile
[Locale]
Language=C
[KDM]
SortUsers=true
NoUsers=sync;halt;reboot;shutdown;mail;
GreetString=Welcome to my Linux Box
UserView=true
ShutdownButton=All
FailFont=helvetica,12,5,iso-8859-1,75,0
Users=jsundqui;kde;root;
LogoPixmap=/opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/pics/pengy.xpm
GreetFont=comic sans ms,24,5,iso-8859-1,50,0
StdFont=Helvetica,12,5,iso-8859-1,50,0
SessionTypes=kde;gnome;anotherlevel;default;failsafe;
Restart=reboot
GUIStyle=Windows
ShutDown=halt

Any ideas?

Jon Sundquist

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. nsca httpd server need to configure users for ~user resolve...

3. Thanks!!!

4. 'setup' script doesn't display menu

5. serial recieve problem

6. 'time' command doesn't display memory usage

7. Files or Links in rc?.d

8. 'old' ports doesn't have what I want, can I upgrade?

9. kdm doesn't start wm

10. kdm doesn't allow root to startx

11. Reboot button from kdm doesn't unmount cleanly

12. Diskless client doesn't start kdm