syncronizing KDE2 and GNOEM menus

Post by Gunter Ohrne » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 00:22:04

Hi!

Ever tried to syncronize your KDE and GNOME menus and didn't find a way? I
didn't and I was not satisfied with GNOME's KDE-menu-support as it would
not show all applications in a single menu structure. So I used the last
few days to write a small shell script which syncronizes the start menus of
KDE 2.0 and GNOME 1.2. As it was quite a bit more difficult than expected I
put the script under the GPL and published it, hoping that it could be
useful for someone.

I imagine it could be handsome for
* people like me who use a mixture of KDE2 and GNOME,
* people switching between GNOME and KDE,
* Admins having users working with KDE 2 and users working with GNOME,
* people using mainly KDE or GNOME but a bunch of programs from the other
desktop environment,
* ...

The script is neigther fully finished yet nor perfect but stable enough to
be tried out (I hope..). I seem to have squished the most important bugs
and the script seems to be quite useful. You can find it at
http://www.ohrners.de/

I'd like to hear if it did work for you and/or if it was helpful!
Furthermore I'd like if someone could help me killing the remaining
problems.

Greetinx,

  Gunter Ohrner