Tabbed browsing in Konqueror

Post by w.. » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 08:39:30

I know that Konqueror now supports multi-tabbed browsing much like my
beloved Galeon (fast, tabbed, great bookmarks management - excellent
browser for Gnome).

I am using KDE 3.0.1 but can't for the life of me figure out how to turn
tabs on in Konq. Is this feature implmented in 3.0.1 or is it just in the
CVS version?

merci!
Daryl.

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrman » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 08:56:31

> I know that Konqueror now supports multi-tabbed browsing much like my
> beloved Galeon (fast, tabbed, great bookmarks management - excellent
> browser for Gnome).

> I am using KDE 3.0.1 but can't for the life of me figure out how to turn
> tabs on in Konq. Is this feature implmented in 3.0.1 or is it just in the
> CVS version?

Only CVS at the moment.
I think KDE-3.1-alpha1 will be released next week.

--

        La loi, dans un grand souci d'galit, interdit aux riches comme aux
        pauvres de coucher sous les ponts, de mendier dans les rues et de voler

Post by Eric W. Sarjean » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:13:26

>>I am using KDE 3.0.1 but can't for the life of me figure out how to turn
>>tabs on in Konq. Is this feature implmented in 3.0.1 or is it just in the
>>CVS version?

> Only CVS at the moment.
> I think KDE-3.1-alpha1 will be released next week.

Tabbed browsing isn't slated until 3.1 with Konqueror. I would hold off
until it gets released for reliable usage, obviously for testing
purposes the upcoming alpha rev is worth compiling.

TBPH, I'm thrilled with Mozilla 1.0 and don't plan on going back anytime
soon -- but I will be checking out 3.1 once it stabalizes just to see if
  their tabbed implementation is any better.

--

"Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come."  - Beatles

Post by germai » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:04:01

> I know that Konqueror now supports multi-tabbed browsing much like my
> beloved Galeon (fast, tabbed, great bookmarks management - excellent
> browser for Gnome).

> I am using KDE 3.0.1 but can't for the life of me figure out how to turn
> tabs on in Konq. Is this feature implmented in 3.0.1 or is it just in the
> CVS version?

> merci!
> Daryl.

tabbed bowsing is a 3.1 feature but has been back ported to 3.0.2, which was
released a few weeks ago.

G.

Post by Stephan Binne » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 23:54:58

> tabbed bowsing is a 3.1 feature but has been back ported to 3.0.2, which
> was released a few weeks ago.

Wrong.

Bye,
   Steve

Post by Graham Nicholl » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:13:52

> TBPH, I'm thrilled with Mozilla 1.0 and don't plan on going back anytime
> soon -- but I will be checking out 3.1 once it stabalizes just to see if
>   their tabbed implementation is any better.

I'm curious.   Opera has had this for ages.  OPera is a great browser -
small and fast.  Yet nobody seems to advocate it
Why?

Graham

--
Rock Computer Consultancy
Quite a lot of Unix experience.

Post by Stig Bul » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:11:49

> I'm curious.   Opera has had this for ages.  OPera is a great browser -
> small and fast.  Yet nobody seems to advocate it
> Why?

I second that. Who need hogs like Mozilla or dinosaurs like Netscape when
you have a neat _fast_ browser like Opera, which is more genuine than the
others in the way that it let's you open web pages, _within_ the Opera
window, withouth the need to open a new Opera session. Brilliant.

I hereby demand everybody to turn their (current) browser to
http://www.opera.com and download that neat piece of software.

--
Stig Bull

No animals were hurt or killed in the process of creating this electronic
message. To reduce download time, this message is made of 100% recycled
bytes.

Post by Rolf Magnu » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:06:31

>> I'm curious.   Opera has had this for ages.  OPera is a great browser -
>> small and fast.  Yet nobody seems to advocate it
>> Why?

> I second that. Who need hogs like Mozilla or dinosaurs like Netscape when
> you have a neat _fast_ browser like Opera, which is more genuine than the
> others in the way that it let's you open web pages, _within_ the Opera
> window, withouth the need to open a new Opera session. Brilliant.

You know, that's the thing I dislike most about Opera. I don't need nor want
tabbed browsing and never saw any benefit in it. Needlessly restricting me
to have all the web pages in one window instead of letting me freely move
them where I want them and spread them over all my virtual desktops.
OTOH, konqueror can do this too, now (but with the possibility to tear off a
tab and put it into an own window).

Quote:> I hereby demand everybody to turn their (current) browser to
> http://www.opera.com and download that neat piece of software.

I have Opera here, but I don't really use it. I'm totally happy with
konqueror (and not using the new tab browsing feature at all).

Don't get me wrong. If you want tabbed browsing and like the Opera way, then
that's fine with me, but you should notice that not everyone likes it.

Post by ne.. » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 00:28:48

>> TBPH, I'm thrilled with Mozilla 1.0 and don't plan on going back anytime
>> soon -- but I will be checking out 3.1 once it stabalizes just to see if
>>   their tabbed implementation is any better.

> I'm curious.   Opera has had this for ages.  OPera is a great browser -
> small and fast.  Yet nobody seems to advocate it
> Why?

Qt & it's proprietary, closed source and has ads. Me, I use
it exclusively on that other os and on all my Linux boxes.
I also use Konqueror on Linux & FreeBSD. As a matter of fact,
I always have both Opera & Konqueror running at the same time.

Certified: 40% bastard, 22% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

Post by ne.. » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 05:10:48

>>> I'm curious.   Opera has had this for ages.  OPera is a great browser -
>>> small and fast.  Yet nobody seems to advocate it
>>> Why?

>> I second that. Who need hogs like Mozilla or dinosaurs like Netscape when
>> you have a neat _fast_ browser like Opera, which is more genuine than the
>> others in the way that it let's you open web pages, _within_ the Opera
>> window, withouth the need to open a new Opera session. Brilliant.

> You know, that's the thing I dislike most about Opera. I don't need nor want
> tabbed browsing and never saw any benefit in it. Needlessly restricting me
> to have all the web pages in one window instead of letting me freely move
> them where I want them and spread them over all my virtual desktops.
> OTOH, konqueror can do this too, now (but with the possibility to tear off a
> tab and put it into an own window).

Maybe Opera doesn't quite do that (I've never tried that), but
Opera does give a choice of tabbed browsing or multiple windows.
Must say you are the first person I've heard say they dislike
tabbed browsing. I don't hold that against you. But, how about
mouse gestures? I use this in Opera a lot. Mozilla has this if
you install the addon. Any chance Konqueror is going to get it?

Quote:>> I hereby demand everybody to turn their (current) browser to
>> http://www.opera.com and download that neat piece of software.

> I have Opera here, but I don't really use it. I'm totally happy with
> konqueror (and not using the new tab browsing feature at all).

> Don't get me wrong. If you want tabbed browsing and like the Opera way, then
> that's fine with me, but you should notice that not everyone likes it.

Oh, and don't forget some of us have to use that other os. I
find Opera on it delightful.

Post by Rolf Magnu » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:26:01

> Maybe Opera doesn't quite do that (I've never tried that), but
> Opera does give a choice of tabbed browsing or multiple windows.

Maybe Opera can do that in newer versions now.

Quote:> Must say you are the first person I've heard say they dislike
> tabbed browsing. I don't hold that against you. But, how about
> mouse gestures? I use this in Opera a lot. Mozilla has this if
> you install the addon. Any chance Konqueror is going to get it?

There was some effort about gesture support in KDE (not only konqueror), but
for some reason (probably loss of iterest or time of the developer) it
vanished.

Quote:> Oh, and don't forget some of us have to use that other os. I
> find Opera on it delightful.

Well, if you have to use "that other os", I can see an advantage in using
the same browser there. I remember the (luckily rare) times when I had to
use that other os at university. I used Exceed to connect to a linux
computer and run konqueror through remote X. Lots of people asked me what
browser that is (some even thought it was opera because it was just a
browser they didn't know).

Post by Stig Bul » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:06:09

> You know, that's the thing I dislike most about Opera. I don't need nor
> want tabbed browsing and never saw any benefit in it. Needlessly
> restricting me to have all the web pages in one window instead of letting
> me freely move them where I want them and spread them over all my virtual
> desktops. OTOH, konqueror can do this too, now (but with the possibility
> to tear off a tab and put it into an own window).

Well, I guess that's a matter of taste. I used to spread Netscape windows
all over my virtual desktops, but with Opera, there's no need for it.

--
Stig Bull

No animals were hurt or killed in the process of creating this electronic
message. To reduce download time, this message is made of 100% recycled
bytes.

Tabbed browsing in Konqueror

Post by Michael Hank » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 23:55:05

[...]

Quote:> But, how about
> mouse gestures? I use this in Opera a lot. Mozilla has this if
> you install the addon. Any chance Konqueror is going to get it?

I googled in groups with search term "kde konqueror mouse gestures" and
guess what: 7 hits.   web-search at least gives 135 hits.
That's about the number you get when entering random letter words. :-(

I don't understand, why this wonderful feature is not on the agenda.
This is what makes Opera really one step ahead. Can't think of not
having mouse gestures.
But I understand if that's some propriety of Opera's. Is it?
Then again that's the only point I use Opera over konqi.

Quote:

>>> I hereby demand everybody to turn their (current) browser to
>>> http://www.opera.com and download that neat piece of software.

>> I have Opera here, but I don't really use it. I'm totally happy with
>> konqueror (and not using the new tab browsing feature at all).

[whoever wrote that, try mouse gestures]

I now learn that Mozilla can have gestures, too. Lets try.

bye
--
Michael
               Wenn das Spiel nicht l?uft, liegt es oft daran,

1. Script GURUs - a tab is a tab is a tab

I have ascii files created by various people I want to run something
that will look for tabs and based on the tab length convert tabs to the
right number of spaces, however the above people use various tab
lengths and do their indenting a little differently. Does someone out
there have a solution to this type of situation?????

you might have a solution.

Thanks in advance

Jim

2. 3Com Vortex and Redhat 4.0

3. Where I can find macromedia flash plug-ins for Konqueror?

4. ** A Step-by-Step Guide to Building an OpenBSD PPPoE Gateway, with Firewall **

5. Slow Konqueror file browsing after update HELP

6. rpc.rstatd for Kernels >2.1.0

7. Lan browsing with Konqueror

8. Pipes, sockets, FIFO and KDE

9. konqueror hangs browsing samba shares

10. tabs in konqueror??? - texstar screenshot

11. Can't browse html with Konqueror in rc2

12. problem to browse the LAN with konqueror :-((

13. Konqueror Tabs?