Mandrake 8.1 and Konqueror problem - the solution ( I think )

Mandrake 8.1 and Konqueror problem - the solution ( I think )

Post by Tony William » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 21:59:52

Some people are reporting failure of Konqueror to open in KDE 2.2.1 under
Mandrake 8.1

Through trial and error I think I have the solution...

The problem appears to happen when "Scan for plugins at startup" is ticked
in the Netscape Plugins configuration of Konqueror.

Untick this in KDE Control Panel, then logout of KDE and Konqueror should be
fixed the next time you log in.

Please post here if this still doesn't fix it for you.

Mandrake 8.1 and Konqueror problem - the solution ( I think )

Post by peter » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:49:24

Konqueror still crashes after a few seconds. The scrollbar is going
crazy, then it crashes.

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:30:43

> Konqueror still crashes after a few seconds. The scrollbar is going
> crazy, then it crashes.

I compiled KDE-2.2.1 on a RH6.* and couldnt even start konqueror. Then
I made a minor fix to the $KDEDIR/bin/startkde script and now Konqueror
is running like a charm.

I dont know if this will help you but give it a try, you can allways
change it back.

First su root and open $KDEDIR/bin/startkde in an editor, then find
this line near the end:
LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify

Split the line up this way, save the file and restart:
LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit
#
knotify
--
Thomas O.

Mandrake 8.1 and Konqueror problem - the solution ( I think )

Post by peter » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 04:43:53

I certainly want to try this, but I cannot find the $KDEDIR. Where is it?
When I do a find command I am told there is no such file or directory. I
am fairly new to Linux so I probably am misunderstanding your directions.
I appreciate your assistance.

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 05:06:17

> I certainly want to try this, but I cannot find the $KDEDIR. Where is
> it?

$KDEDIR is the directory where KDE is installed and as I dont know
where KDE is in Mandrake I used this method.

But try this command in the Konsole:
echo $KDEDIR
and check the output, if its /usr then the file is located in /usr/bin
--
Thomas O.

Mandrake 8.1 and Konqueror problem - the solution ( I think )

Post by peter » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 08:17:50

Thomas, I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, this did not correct my
particular problem. When I click on the home directory icon, and thereby
bring up konqueror, it does come up. But, the scrollbar looks like a
faded barcode and it is very active. Then, after a few seconds, it
crashes.Startkde, in Mandrake, is in the /usr/bin directory as you
suggested. Thanks again.
PeterH

>> I certainly want to try this, but I cannot find the $KDEDIR. Where is
>> it?

> $KDEDIR is the directory where KDE is installed and as I dont know where
> KDE is in Mandrake I used this method.

> But try this command in the Konsole:
> echo $KDEDIR
> and check the output, if its /usr then the file is located in /usr/bin

Mandrake 8.1 and Konqueror problem - the solution ( I think )

Post by Corne » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 18:14:28

I had this problem after my fresh Mandrake 8.1 install and updating
kde via the kdebase-nsplugin. This worked for me:

1. Go to /usr/bin directory
2. Open the startkde file in a text editor
3. Change

# Laurent kde2.2-30mdk scan-nsplugins
  if [ -x /usr/bin/nspluginscan ]; then
        /usr/bin/nspluginscan
  fi

# Laurent kde2.2-30mdk scan-nsplugins
# if [ -x /usr/bin/nspluginscan ]; then
#       /usr/bin/nspluginscan
# fi

4. Also unchecked "Scan for new plugins at KDE startup" in Contol
Centre => Web browsing => Netscape Plugins

All the best

Cornell

Post by peter » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 23:56:54

> I had this problem after my fresh Mandrake 8.1 install and updating kde
> via the kdebase-nsplugin. This worked for me:

> 1. Go to /usr/bin directory
> 2. Open the startkde file in a text editor 3. Change

> # Laurent kde2.2-30mdk scan-nsplugins
>   if [ -x /usr/bin/nspluginscan ]; then
>    /usr/bin/nspluginscan
>   fi

> # Laurent kde2.2-30mdk scan-nsplugins # if [ -x /usr/bin/nspluginscan ];
> then #     /usr/bin/nspluginscan
> # fi

> 4. Also unchecked "Scan for new plugins at KDE startup" in Contol Centre
> => Web browsing => Netscape Plugins

> All the best

> Cornell

Hello, Cornell. I appreciate your help. I tried what worked for you, but
it did not correct my problem. One thing, I do not have, in Control
Center, Web browsing=>Netscape Plugins=>Scan for new plugins at KDE
startup. Instead mine is ControlCenter=>Konqueror
browser=>Plugins=>Global Settings=>Enable Plugins Globally. Perhaps this
is the problem?
Jim

Mandrake 8.1 and Konqueror problem - the solution ( I think )

Post by Bela Lanto » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 05:54:08

You need to install kde-nsplugins manually. Or if in the Software
Installer you click on the "Flat" tab it should be visible. I don't know
why only a few packages can be seen from the installer.

Bela

>>I had this problem after my fresh Mandrake 8.1 install and updating kde
>>via the kdebase-nsplugin. This worked for me:

>>1. Go to /usr/bin directory
>>2. Open the startkde file in a text editor 3. Change

>># Laurent kde2.2-30mdk scan-nsplugins
>>  if [ -x /usr/bin/nspluginscan ]; then
>>        /usr/bin/nspluginscan
>>  fi

>># Laurent kde2.2-30mdk scan-nsplugins # if [ -x /usr/bin/nspluginscan ];
>>then #  /usr/bin/nspluginscan
>># fi

>>4. Also unchecked "Scan for new plugins at KDE startup" in Contol Centre
>>=> Web browsing => Netscape Plugins

>>All the best

>>Cornell

>Hello, Cornell. I appreciate your help. I tried what worked for you, but
>it did not correct my problem. One thing, I do not have, in Control
>Center, Web browsing=>Netscape Plugins=>Scan for new plugins at KDE
>startup. Instead mine is ControlCenter=>Konqueror
>browser=>Plugins=>Global Settings=>Enable Plugins Globally. Perhaps this
>is the problem?
>Jim

>-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Mandrake 8.1 and Konqueror problem - the solution ( I think )

Post by peter » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 08:57:02

Okay, my problem is solved. I want to thank everyone who helped me. The
crazy scrollbar and crashing of konqueror stopped once I installed
Netscape 6.1. I had been using version 4.78. All of the previous
suggestions I left in effect, so I am not sure exactly what corrected the
problem, though installation of 6.1 certainly ended it.
peterh

> You need to install kde-nsplugins manually. Or if in the Software
> Installer you click on the "Flat" tab it should be visible. I don't know
> why only a few packages can be seen from the installer.

> Bela

1. Mandrake 8.1 on IBM Think Pad T21

All
I am 100% new to Linux so if I am doing something so obviously wrong please
be gentle. I just installed 8.1 (Downloaded Version) on my laptop (IBM Think
Pad T21) and everything went surprisingly smooth. I read all the LaptopLinux
files and pretty much had the same problems with my modem and some other
stuff. I have not attacked those yet because I had 1 problem I did not see
anywhere. I can not mount my CD ( Which is a DVD). I installed off it and it
shows up but when I try to view files on a CD I either get the Mounting
Screen and nothing happens or I get "Error operation not supported List
directories".  The only thing I can think of is because it is a "hot Swap"
device maybe I need some kind of driver to tell linux I have the DVD
installed and not the Floppy.  Has anyone had this problem or know how to
correct it ? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bob

2. dma synch call in linux?

3. Mandrake 8.1 Web Server problems

4. Slackware 2.0?

5. Problem installing Mozilla to Mandrake 8.1

6. ppp.conf and Compuserve

7. Mandrake 8.1 booting problem

8. Keon

9. Problem installing Mozilla to Mandrake 8.1

10. Problems compiling kdegraphics cvs module on Mandrake 8.1 & 8.2

11. Mandrake Linux 8.1 Problem...

12. problems re-installing Mandrake 8.1

13. Video and DNS problems on Tecra 8200 with Mandrake 8.1