newbie problem: Kde dosent start..

Post by Jeff Snyde » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 06:40:30

Hi
a few days when i tried to "startx", kde complained of not enough space on
/tmp, and te startx aborted.
after triying a few other things, i tried deleting a few things in /tmp
all it contained was some kde-cache dirs and a file called "formpost". which
i deleted.
unfortunatly, without the "formpost" file (i think thatst the cause), kde
dosent start - X windows starts, then does nothing, kde dosent load, and i
have to reboot via the powr switch and sort out my HDDs on reeboot

can anyone tell me what the "formpost" file is/does/contains?
Thanks
    Jeff

Post by Jeff Snyde » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 06:41:37

Hi
a few days when i tried to "startx", kde complained of not enough space on
/tmp, and te startx aborted.
after triying a few other things, i tried deleting a few things in /tmp
all it contained was some kde-cache dirs and a file called "formpost". which
i deleted.
unfortunatly, without the "formpost" file (i think thatst the cause), kde
dosent start - X windows starts, then does nothing, kde dosent load, and i
have to reboot via the powr switch and sort out my HDDs on reeboot

can anyone tell me what the "formpost" file is/does/contains?
Thanks
    Jeff

Using RH7, Kde 1.somthing.

Post by akar 'th 'orribl » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:52:58

> Hi
> a few days when i tried to "startx", kde complained of not enough
> space on /tmp, and te startx aborted.
> after triying a few other things, i tried deleting a few things in
> /tmp all it contained was some kde-cache dirs and a file called
> "formpost". which i deleted.
> unfortunatly, without the "formpost" file (i think thatst the cause),
> kde dosent start - X windows starts, then does nothing, kde dosent
> load, and i have to reboot via the powr switch and sort out my HDDs on
> reeboot

> can anyone tell me what the "formpost" file is/does/contains?
> Thanks
>     Jeff

> Using RH7, Kde 1.somthing.

It has nothing to do with KDE as far as I know. Deleting your tmp files
should not have done this and prob is not the cause. The sycoca
database is in one of those tmp files but kde should rebuild it.
Try manually with kbuildsycoca at a console then try to run kde.
If that doesnt do it something else is the cause although I would also
del any pipes (files like .DCOPlocalblahblah)
If that fails rename the .kde folder in your user folder (from console)
then start kde.

--
Regards,

Andrew

Post by James Richard Tyre » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:45:46

> Hi
> a few days when i tried to "startx", kde complained of not enough space on
> /tmp, and te startx aborted.
> after triying a few other things, i tried deleting a few things in /tmp
> all it contained was some kde-cache dirs and a file called "formpost". which
> i deleted.
> unfortunatly, without the "formpost" file (i think thatst the cause), kde
> dosent start - X windows starts, then does nothing, kde dosent load, and i
> have to reboot via the powr switch and sort out my HDDs on reeboot

Normally deleting everything in the "/tmp" file does no harm at all.

It is possible that deleting part of the stuff there might -- don't know.

You might first try deleting everything in the "/tmp" directory.

If  you still have the problem it is 99.9% that it isn't anything in the "/tmp"
directory.

JRT

1. X starts and sometimes X dosent start ... Why?

Hey guys.. problem
I've just configured Xf86
startx sometimes shows me the xclock ( and sometimes the defaut
xterms) then quits.... on other ocations startx works jsut fine.
Even here however I get malloc errors... (this I can understand
as Im running on only 8Megs RAM....

Any ideas as to why the iratic behaviour

TIA
DC
C'ing is leaving the BASICS behind                             |

2. single floppy thread

3. Newbie KDE starting problems

4. Variable passwords w/ppp

5. Problem starting KDE (newbie)

6. Fast serial connection under 3.2v4.2

7. Can't get KDE to start - Newbie

8. Dumb mod_autoindex question

9. how to start kde automatically when x starts?

10. kde wont start on boot, will start on reboot

11. Starting KDE Applications without KDE as WIndowmananger

12. KDE 1.1.1 and RH5.2, KDE won't start

13. kde taskbar disappeared - solution = cleanup $HOME/.kde/first start