Kppp question

Kppp question

Post by n.. » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00



I just installed Red Hat 6.2 and have set KDE as my
default desktop.

Previously, I could run Kppp as an ordinary user now
it wants to run only as root.

I tried what the docs said, made a kppp.allow and tried
a group as well.

Still only root can run kppp. Any suggestions? Thanks.

--
Neil

 
 
 

Kppp question

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:34:01



> Previously, I could run Kppp as an ordinary user now
> it wants to run only as root.

> I tried what the docs said, made a kppp.allow and tried
> a group as well.

Then try this trick, su root and open this file:
/etc/pam.d/kppp

Find this line:
auth       sufficient        /lib/security/pam_rootok.so

and change it to:
auth       sufficient        /lib/security/pam_permit.so

--
Thomas O.

This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

 
 
 

Kppp question

Post by Martin P Holla » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00


On 14 Oct 2000 13:11:32 PDT,


>I just installed Red Hat 6.2 and have set KDE as my
>default desktop.

>Previously, I could run Kppp as an ordinary user now
>it wants to run only as root.

>I tried what the docs said, made a kppp.allow and tried
>a group as well.

>Still only root can run kppp. Any suggestions? Thanks.

see http://www.kppp-archive.freeserve.co.uk/console.html

--
http://www.noether.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.kppp-archive.freeserve.co.uk

 
 
 

Kppp question

Post by Timothy Murp » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00



>Then try this trick, su root and open this file:
>/etc/pam.d/kppp
>Find this line:
>auth       sufficient        /lib/security/pam_rootok.so
>and change it to:
>auth       sufficient        /lib/security/pam_permit.so

Is this documented anywhere?

--
Timothy Murphy  

tel: 086-233 6090
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

 
 
 

Kppp question

Post by n.. » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> Then try this trick, su root and open this file:
> /etc/pam.d/kppp
> Find this line:
> auth       sufficient        /lib/security/pam_rootok.so
> and change it to:
> auth       sufficient        /lib/security/pam_permit.so

I tried this and it did not work. Are there any other methods
of doing this?

This is just my home pc but I still don't want to be logged in
as root all the time...

--
Neil

 
 
 

Kppp question

Post by Marvin R. Pierc » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 07:01:23



> I just installed Red Hat 6.2 and have set KDE as my
> default desktop.

> Previously, I could run Kppp as an ordinary user now
> it wants to run only as root.

> I tried what the docs said, made a kppp.allow and tried
> a group as well.

> Still only root can run kppp. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Using RH6.2, the following is required to be a sole KPPP user
1) PASSWORD PROTECTION
        vi /etc/pam.d/kppp      change auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_rootok.so to
auth sufficient /lib/security/pag_permit.so
2) UNLINK KPPP
        ln -sf /usr/sbin/kppp /usr/bin/kppp     stops KPPP asking for password
3) SUID ROOT
        chmod +s /usr/sbin/kppp         makes KPPP suid

That's it
Marvin

 
 
 

1. Kppp question

I just installed Red Hat 6.2 and have set KDE as my default desktop.
Kppp works fine running as root but when I try to run it as a user
it prompts for a root password.

I tried what the docs said, made a kppp.allow and tried a group as well.

Still only root can run kppp. Any suggestions? Thanks.        

2. Major Paging

3. suse 7.3 kde 2.2.1 kppp question

4. CASPER Monitor spec.

5. Newbie wvdial & kppp questions

6. Client side of MS-DNS negotiation in pppd (patch)

7. telnet and also kppp questions

8. Infusion BBS Software

9. A Kppp question.

10. Small KPPP question

11. kppp question

12. Kppp Question...