HELP! Can't boot to login screen...

Post by Rob Frenc » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,  I am running Linux Redhat 6.0, KDE 1.1.2 that I got from the RedHat
update ftp site and Accelerated X ver. 5.  I was able to install KDE
fine but my problem is I can't boot into the KDE login screen all I get
is the X grey mesh screen with one vertical white line that randomly
scrolls to the left. If I boot to the console then run startx KDE runs
fine.  My inittab file is correct and does seem to start kdm fine.  Can
anyone explain to me the process that starts up KDE or any other desktop
environment? Any ideas or suggestions?  I feel like I have tried
everything!  Thanks in advance.

Rob

HELP! Can't boot to login screen...

Post by Zepp » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,  I am running Linux Redhat 6.0, KDE 1.1.2 that I got from the RedHat
> update ftp site and Accelerated X ver. 5.  I was able to install KDE
> fine but my problem is I can't boot into the KDE login screen all I get
> is the X grey mesh screen with one vertical white line that randomly
> scrolls to the left. If I boot to the console then run startx KDE runs
> fine.  My inittab file is correct and does seem to start kdm fine.  Can
> anyone explain to me the process that starts up KDE or any other desktop
> environment? Any ideas or suggestions?

Have you configured X properly?
Have you used Redhat's default configuration for the display?
Try to use your own, and do not enter higher resolutions
than your monitor can display.

1. Telnet login screen looks different then login screen on box

Hey.

I got a prob.

Im trying to connect to a remote box running RedHat 6.2.

When I go to the box (physically sit by the box) I get a login screen with
the line : "romeo login:" . I have the root pass and I have no problem
entering.

When I try to login from somewhere else (via telnet) I get the normal login
screen (no "romeo") and my pass doesnt work. What do I do ?

Thanks

2. What to do with this ?

3. kde login screen instead of gnome login screen

4. Running batchjobs without disturbing interactive usage, ok now?

5. Booting into KDE login screen - HELP!

6. GNOME on embedded devices

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Deskjet 855c

9. 'Screen' program - .login how?

10. HElp: Won't boot to login

11. X screen doesn't use full screen - help!

12. boot up 'clear screen' ??