KDE Taskbar disappeared

Post by Charles K. MacKa » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:43:12

Newbie at Linux; fairly good at Window$.

Yes, I have read the KDE FAQ, without finding an answer to this:

on all my Red Hat 7.2 installations, the KDE taskbar eventually vanishes. No
error messages. No known change in configuration.

Any way to get it back?

Thanks in advance --

Charlie

Charles K. MacKay, BA, MA, MCSE, MCSA, MCPx8, A+, Network+, CCP
Keep checking this space for more letters as they become available!

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

- Anais Nin

"When you have two engines, you have two engines that can fall
to bits. When you have four, you have four that can fall to
bits. The less engines you have, the safer you are."

- Frank Fickeisen, chief engineer for Boeing, replying
  to a complaint made by the American Airlines Pilots'
  Association about the dangers of flying two-engine
  airplanes across the Pacific Ocean

And what did Red say in "Shawshank Redemption"?

"Let me tell you something, my friend.
 Hope is a dangerous thing.
 Hope can drive a man insane."

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there
is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.  Very
often, that individual is crazy."

-Dave Barry

There is much to be said in favour of the Internet. By giving us the
opinions
of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

1. kde taskbar disappeared - solution = cleanup $HOME/.kde/first start

looking up google I found some posts of similar problems and vague
recommendations about settings, however this did not help: too vague.
Let me post the article I would have liked to find...

So this is what I got:

mandrake 7.2, kde, taskbar disappeared. All settings to default
(alt-f2 kcontrol then panels reset to default and taskbar show all) no
way :-(

r-click exit x, then cd $HOME/.kde
there was a strange file there with a name like kde_first_start
(sorry, this is vague too :-), that I deleted rm kde_first_start.

startx to get back to x, and waouh! there it had come back, the task
bar!

pb

2. USRobotics Modem PC card

3. KDE taskbar disappears

4. GNU fileutil ls

5. Can KDE Taskbar act like GNOME taskbar?

6. CDRW on ATA100

7. Taskbar randomly disappears in KDE3

8. Recurring Kernel Panic

9. KDE2 System Monitor on Taskbar has Disappeared. Help!

10. taskbar disappearing under gnome

11. Configuring the pager and taskbar in KDE.

12. Disable KDE taskbar clock's options

13. kde 3 and taskbar button font