has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by richard lyon » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:02:22



It struck me that perhaps I am simply wasting time.  Did anyone else
succeed in compiling 3.0.3 and getting it to connect to the X-server?  I
cannot find any instructions anywhere about what to do after installing
the tarballs to configure it to run.  So, if anyone has done it before,
I would love to be told how to proceed.  Working in Gnome is driving me
spare.  
--
richard
 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by Rex Diete » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 04:52:21



> It struck me that perhaps I am simply wasting time.  Did anyone else
> succeed in compiling 3.0.3 and getting it to connect to the X-server?  

Of course, lots and lots of folks have had success.

Perhaps you could provide details of your system: distribution, compiler...
and more details about the problems you're having...

--
Rex A. Dieter                  
Computer System Administrator  
Mathematics and Statistics      
University of Nebraska Lincoln  

 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by Tim Wunde » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:37:07


On Saturday 21 September 2002 02:02 pm, someone claiming to be richard lyons

Quote:> It struck me that perhaps I am simply wasting time.  Did anyone else
> succeed in compiling 3.0.3 and getting it to connect to the X-server?  I
> cannot find any instructions anywhere about what to do after installing

http://linux-sxs.org/kde3.html
http://developer.kde.org/build/index.html
 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by richard lyon » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:05:41



> On Saturday 21 September 2002 02:02 pm, someone claiming to be richard

>> It struck me that perhaps I am simply wasting time.  Did anyone else
>> succeed in compiling 3.0.3 and getting it to connect to the X-server? I
>> cannot find any instructions anywhere about what to do after installing

> http://linux-sxs.org/kde3.html
> http://developer.kde.org/build/index.html

Ok, thanks.  I followed the instructions at the second URL with the
exception that I used checkinstall to do the make as it creates an rpm
which makes it possible for me to uninstall in the future (for the next
upgrade).  Perhaps that is the source of my problem.  I don't truly know
what checkinstall does, so maybe it alters the outcome.

Looking at the first URL, I see the instructions are different, and that
a stack of options are passed to configure.  One that may explain my
problem is '--with-x' given for kdebase.  My problem seems to be a
failure to connect to X, so I'll try that and see if anything changes.
--
richard

 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by Tim Wunde » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:43:42




>>On Saturday 21 September 2002 02:02 pm, someone claiming to be richard

>>>It struck me that perhaps I am simply wasting time.  Did anyone else
>>>succeed in compiling 3.0.3 and getting it to connect to the X-server? I
>>>cannot find any instructions anywhere about what to do after installing

>>http://linux-sxs.org/kde3.html
>>http://developer.kde.org/build/index.html

> Ok, thanks.  I followed the instructions at the second URL with the
> exception that I used checkinstall to do the make as it creates an rpm
> which makes it possible for me to uninstall in the future (for the next
> upgrade).  Perhaps that is the source of my problem.  I don't truly know
> what checkinstall does, so maybe it alters the outcome.

I used checkinstall to install my KDE3.0.3 and had no problems.

Quote:> Looking at the first URL, I see the instructions are different, and that
> a stack of options are passed to configure.  One that may explain my
> problem is '--with-x' given for kdebase.  My problem seems to be a
> failure to connect to X, so I'll try that and see if anything changes.

What distro are you using?
Are KDEDIR, KDEDIRS, and KDEHOME getting set properly?
I suspect the problem is KDEHOME. It's probly ~/.kde or ~/.kde3. You
could try mv'ing either (or both) to a backup file and try to start kde
again.

HTH,
Tim

 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by richard lyon » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:59:47


[snip]

Quote:>>>>It struck me that perhaps I am simply wasting time.  Did anyone else
>>>>succeed in compiling 3.0.3 and getting it to connect to the X-server?
[snip]
>> checkinstall
[snip]
> I used checkinstall to install my KDE3.0.3 and had no problems.

That is good to know -- at least I can eliminate that as a problem.

Quote:>> [snip]  I see the instructions are different, and
>> that a stack of options are passed to configure.  One that may explain
>> my problem is '--with-x' given for kdebase.  My problem seems to be a
>> failure to connect to X, so I'll try that and see if anything changes.

That did not help - I still get "xsetroot:  unable to open display ''"
and "cannot connect to X server" etc.

Quote:> What distro are you using?

RH7.3

Quote:> Are KDEDIR, KDEDIRS, and KDEHOME getting set properly? I suspect the
> problem is KDEHOME. It's probly ~/.kde or ~/.kde3. You could try mv'ing
> either (or both) to a backup file and try to start kde again.

Hmm, I've put qt.sh and kde.sh scripts into /etc/profile.d/ to set $QTDIR
and $KDEDIR and to add these to $PATH.  Neither $KDEHOME nor $KDEDIRS is
set.  I've not heard of them before.  In fact, on the other box upstairs
running KDE2.2 on RH7.1, none of these are set except $KDEDIR - which is
set to '/usr' so presumably not used either.  No problem starting KDE
there.  I wish I had some idea what I was doing here...

--
richard

 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by Tim Wunde » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:28:38




> [snip]

>>>>>It struck me that perhaps I am simply wasting time.  Did anyone else
>>>>>succeed in compiling 3.0.3 and getting it to connect to the X-server?

> [snip]

>>>checkinstall

> [snip]

>>I used checkinstall to install my KDE3.0.3 and had no problems.

> That is good to know -- at least I can eliminate that as a problem.

>>>[snip]  I see the instructions are different, and
>>>that a stack of options are passed to configure.  One that may explain
>>>my problem is '--with-x' given for kdebase.  My problem seems to be a
>>>failure to connect to X, so I'll try that and see if anything changes.

> That did not help - I still get "xsetroot:  unable to open display ''"
> and "cannot connect to X server" etc.

>>What distro are you using?

> RH7.3

>>Are KDEDIR, KDEDIRS, and KDEHOME getting set properly? I suspect the
>>problem is KDEHOME. It's probly ~/.kde or ~/.kde3. You could try mv'ing
>>either (or both) to a backup file and try to start kde again.

> Hmm, I've put qt.sh and kde.sh scripts into /etc/profile.d/ to set $QTDIR
> and $KDEDIR and to add these to $PATH.  Neither $KDEHOME nor $KDEDIRS is
> set.  I've not heard of them before.  In fact, on the other box upstairs
> running KDE2.2 on RH7.1, none of these are set except $KDEDIR - which is
> set to '/usr' so presumably not used either.  No problem starting KDE
> there.  I wish I had some idea what I was doing here...

If not set, I believe ~/.kde is used.
Do you have a .kde directory in your $HOME?

$KDEDIR, $KDEHOME and $PATH are normally set in the kde startup script.
If compiling from source, the startup script is <kde install
dir>/bin/startkde, which in my case is /opt/kde3/bin/startkde, since I
compiled kde3 with --prefix=/opt/kde3. I have /usr/X11R6/bin/kde3 set up
as a symlink to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde.

I'm using Caldera eW3.1 and they still have pieces of KDE1*
around, making the use of $KDEDIRS necessary, I don't doubt that
$KDEDIRS is not needed with RedHat. I do not have anything called qt.sh,
or kde.sh, nor have I heard of them being required. Why do you think you
need them? Is it a RedHat thing?

Try mv'ing your $HOME/.kde directory to $HOME/.kde.old and removing all
the mcop-*, kde-*, and ksocket-* files from /tmp and trying to start kde
again. Determine *exactly* which script starts kde (I don't know how
RedHat starts KDE since I'm not using it) and make sure it's configuring
the environment correctly.

HTH,
Tim

 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by richard lyon » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:27:06


[snip]

Quote:>> I still get "xsetroot:  unable to open display ''"
>> and "cannot connect to X server" etc.
>>>What distro are you using?
>> RH7.3
[snip]
> If not set, I believe ~/.kde is used. Do you have a .kde directory in
> your $HOME?

> $KDEDIR, $KDEHOME and $PATH are normally set in the kde startup script.
> If compiling from source, the startup script is <kde install
> dir>/bin/startkde, which in my case is /opt/kde3/bin/startkde, since I
> compiled kde3 with --prefix=/opt/kde3. I have /usr/X11R6/bin/kde3 set up
> as a symlink to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde.

Yes, mine is /usr/local/kde/bin/startkde.  And yes, it does set $KDEHOME
correctly.  

Quote:

> I'm using Caldera eW3.1 and they still have pieces of KDE1*
> around, making the use of $KDEDIRS necessary, I don't doubt that
> $KDEDIRS is not needed with RedHat. I do not have anything called qt.sh,
> or kde.sh, nor have I heard of them being required. Why do you think you
> need them? Is it a RedHat thing?

It may be.  As far as I can see, /etc/profile.d/ has some shell scripts
that are all run before ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc when you log on.
Someone told me this is the best place to set environment variables.  It
certainly seems to work efficiently.  I simply copied scripts from the
other machine (running KD2.2), adjusted to give the correct variables.

Quote:

> Try mv'ing your $HOME/.kde directory to $HOME/.kde.old and removing all
> the mcop-*, kde-*, and ksocket-* files from /tmp and trying to start kde
> again. Determine *exactly* which script starts kde (I don't know how
> RedHat starts KDE since I'm not using it) and make sure it's configuring
> the environment correctly.

I did try this, to no avail.  I am away for a couple of days so I'll have
to come back to this next week.  I'll go through startkde a bit more
carefully then and try to ascertain where it falls over.

Thanks in the mean time.
--
richard

 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:39:12


On Tuesday 24 September 2002 03:59 am, someone claiming to be richard lyons

<snip>
Quote:

> That did not help - I still get "xsetroot:  unable to open display ''"
> and "cannot connect to X server" etc.

<snip>

Are you trying while su'd to another user, by chance?
Any clues in .xsession-errors or /var/log/XFree86.0.log?

 
 
 

has anyone successfully compiled 3.0.3?

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:08:39



> It may be.  As far as I can see, /etc/profile.d/ has some shell scripts
> that are all run before ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc when you log on.
> Someone told me this is the best place to set environment variables.  It
> certainly seems to work efficiently.  I simply copied scripts from the
> other machine (running KD2.2), adjusted to give the correct variables.

These are not run by magic.  They are sourced by: "/etc/profile" and
that script is only run if you login with a shell.

--
JRT