need info how to configure desktop

Post by P?l Monsta » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:59:57

I need some information how to configure the KDE desktop. Where are files
stored, what files do what ... I run RH 9.0 as a LTSP server with a lot of
user accounts. How do I configure a desktop and distribute it to all users?
I want to change wallpaper, icons, configure the menu etc to all users.

Are there any documentation about these topics? So far I have searched and
found nothing.
--
P?l Monstad

Post by Stefan Rusch » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:14:22

> I need some information how to configure the KDE desktop. Where are files
> stored, what files do what ... I run RH 9.0 as a LTSP server with a lot of
> user accounts. How do I configure a desktop and distribute it to all users?
> I want to change wallpaper, icons, configure the menu etc to all users.

P?l,

I think you could simply configure one template user and after that copy
- as root - the directories /home/templateuser/.kde,
/home/templateuser/Desktop and /home/templateuser/.kde2 (and every other
file or directory you want new users to have in their home directories)
to /etc/skel.

The contents of /etc/skel are copied to a new user's home directory when
you use the useradd switch -m (meaning that the directory of the user is
created if it doesn't exist - IIRC YaST of the SuSE distri does that
automatically).

Have fun,

Stefan

Post by Pascal Brüc » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:22:22

> I need some information how to configure the KDE desktop. Where are files
> stored, what files do what ... I run RH 9.0 as a LTSP server with a lot of
> user accounts. How do I configure a desktop and distribute it to all
> users? I want to change wallpaper, icons, configure the menu etc to all
> users.

> Are there any documentation about these topics? So far I have searched and
> found nothing.
> --
> P?l Monstad

http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/

http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-11/kde_01.html

:)paxcal

Post by P?l Monsta » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:04:47

> > I need some information how to configure the KDE desktop. Where are
files
> > stored, what files do what ... I run RH 9.0 as a LTSP server with a lot
of
> > user accounts. How do I configure a desktop and distribute it to all
users?
> > I want to change wallpaper, icons, configure the menu etc to all users.

> P?l,

> I think you could simply configure one template user and after that copy
> - as root - the directories /home/templateuser/.kde,
> /home/templateuser/Desktop and /home/templateuser/.kde2 (and every other
> file or directory you want new users to have in their home directories)
> to /etc/skel.

> The contents of /etc/skel are copied to a new user's home directory when
> you use the useradd switch -m (meaning that the directory of the user is
> created if it doesn't exist - IIRC YaST of the SuSE distri does that
> automatically)

Thanks!

So the trick is to copy files into the /etc/skel directory? These files will
then be copied to every new user? But what if I want to reconfigure the
desktop after the user is added? Are the files in /etc/skel copied to users
every time they logon?

And how do I distribute differend desktop layouts to different group of
users? Let us say I have 10 users I want to give a configured desktop, and
20 other users I want to give another desktop? Do I have to copy the files
manually, og perhaps write a script to copy the files? Where can I put such
a script anyway? A scrips which is run every time a user logs in.

--
P?l Monstad

Post by Stefan Rusch » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:37:37

> So the trick is to copy files into the /etc/skel directory? These files will
> then be copied to every new user? But what if I want to reconfigure the
> desktop after the user is added? Are the files in /etc/skel copied to users
> every time they logon?

> And how do I distribute differend desktop layouts to different group of
> users? Let us say I have 10 users I want to give a configured desktop, and
> 20 other users I want to give another desktop? Do I have to copy the files
> manually, og perhaps write a script to copy the files? Where can I put such
> a script anyway? A scrips which is run every time a user logs in.

/etc/skel is just for new users - to give them a base configuration.
After that /etc/skel doesn't affect the existing user's home directories
any more. In order to change those afterwards you would have to copy
them via script or something. I can't program shell scripts but I would
think something like a loop that parses every home-dir and copies the
other files in this.

Or another idea might be to make a global .bashrc or .profile which the
user cannot change where a script is triggered when the user logs in. In
Debian you would write a line that executes your script in the local
.bash_profile file. This file yould also be created globally (create
.bashrc and .bash_profile in /etc and symbolically link them in every
home directory - disadvantage: a user is not able to add own entries -
workaround: create a user writable shell script for every user and add
an execute line in the global .bash_profile as well - for Debian just
use .profile - this isn't used anyway).

Those are just some ideas, I never tried that out by myself.

I hope it'll help.

Stefan

1. Need to Configure my desktop settings?

I installed linux on my PC and setup the desktop to be set at 640X480 at 16
bit I had tried all the other settings but they had problems.  I believe my
problem was that I selected the wrong video card when I initially selected
it on installation.  I just want to be able to configure these settings.  A
freind of mine told me about the comman xconfig however there was no Man
page for it.

2. getty respawning too rapidly

3. Need info on configuring pty's

4. help: X with NVIDIA STB Velocity128 4MB AGP and EV900 Monitor

5. I need more info to configure server

6. CDROM mount problem

7. Need info on configuring UNIX firewall

8. ATI Mach64 + Sony 17sf = NOT A GOOD CHOICE

9. help -- need to get info about how to get info from object files.

10. need info about how to query for hardware/os/software info

11. desktop keyboard shortcuts: how to configure? (painful)

12. Info On remote desktop

13. help configuring SCO desktop