Modifying KDE menu in installation script

Modifying KDE menu in installation script

Post by Bill Medlan » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 07:25:56

Sorry if I missed it; I couldn't see this anywhere else.

I know how to modify the KDE menu system to add an application using
kmenuedit.

Is there a set of scripts or a standard technique for modifying the menu
structure programmatically?  I want to be able, when installing our
application, to add it to the kde and gnome menus.

Bill

Post by Rolf Magnu » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:49:03

> Is there a set of scripts or a standard technique for modifying the menu
> structure programmatically?  I want to be able, when installing our
> application, to add it to the kde and gnome menus.

Each entry has a .desktop file. Just copy the .desktop file for your entry
to somehwere under $KDEDIR/share/applnk (globally for installation as root)
or under $KDEHOME/share/applnk (locally for installation in a user's home
directory). If $KDEHOME doesn't exist, use $HOME/.kde instead.

Post by Kevin Kramme » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 02:29:02

>> Is there a set of scripts or a standard technique for modifying the
>> menu
>> structure programmatically?  I want to be able, when installing our
>> application, to add it to the kde and gnome menus.

> Each entry has a .desktop file. Just copy the .desktop file for your
> entry to somehwere under $KDEDIR/share/applnk (globally for

I think instead of $KDEDIR you should use whatever kde-config --prefix
returns.

or kde-config --paths apps, which returns a list of applnk directories

GNOME has a similar tool to determine the paths.
And they use the .desktop entries as well.

Quote:> installation as root) or under $KDEHOME/share/applnk (locally for
> installation in a user's home directory). If $KDEHOME doesn't exist,
> use $HOME/.kde instead.

kde-config --localprefix for the current user.

Cheers,
Kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

Modifying KDE menu in installation script

Post by Bill Medlan » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 03:32:12

SNIP