kde and shadow passwords

Post by wim delvau » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi any/all

I run kde 1.1 on 2.2.7 linux kernel

When I try to lock my screen there is a dialog box that pops up that
claims that the system
is using shadow passwords and that I should give suid rights to
kcheckpass.

However There is NO /etc/shadow file on my system and I'm not running
shadow passwords that I know of
Moreover I have given 7777 rights to kcheckpass and it still complains.

What is going on ? Why does he think I'm running shadow passwords and
why is 7777 not enough

--
Wim Delvaux --Desc NV
Plantijn & Moretuslei 220

1. ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

Hi Folks,

I get the following error message from Setting up Screensaver:

Warning: You wont be able to lock the screen

Your system uses shadow passwords.
Tell him that you need suid for the kcheckpass program!

Cu Andy

2. floppy install fails

3. Shadow password files vs. non-shadowed passwords

4. i810 chipset motherboard

5. Shadow Passwords (KDE Screensavers need suid)

6. Writing a Device Driver manual

7. DR3: Shadow passwords and KDE

8. Export globals from shared library

9. refresh shadow password using shadow.h

10. Shadow package from sunsite (shadow'd passwords)

11. ssh change password & shadow password

12. Converting old-style password file to new password/shadow file

13. password security, especially shadow passwords