KDE2 Menu Editing; "Wherez da docs?"

Post by Norman Baccar » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Im totally mystified as to the menu editing in KDE2.
This is my first time using kde so bear with me. When I
call up the system menu editor the first confusion comes
when I see the menu structure presented to me.  Its not
the same as the menu structure from the panels k menu button.
Why is that? If I try to edit the menus as user the editor
goes through the motions but doesn't actually make any changes
to the menu when I quit the editor and log out/in. If this has
to be done as root then why does the menu editor a: allow me
to do the editing as a user and b: not say anything about a
user trying to edit the menus when root should be doing that.
I can edit the menus as root, for root, but nothing else. Can
someone clear this up for me please?

Where are the online docs. I installed kde2 from the rpm's
but the online docs were not in any of the rpm's and I've
seen posts indicating that the english docs are nowhere to be
found...??

Thanks!! :)

Norman Baccari
Toronto, Canada

Post by Eric Laffoo » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Im totally mystified as to the menu editing in KDE2.
> This is my first time using kde so bear with me. When I
> call up the system menu editor the first confusion comes
> when I see the menu structure presented to me.  Its not
> the same as the menu structure from the panels k menu button.
> Why is that? If I try to edit the menus as user the editor
> goes through the motions but doesn't actually make any changes
> to the menu when I quit the editor and log out/in. If this has
> to be done as root then why does the menu editor a: allow me
> to do the editing as a user and b: not say anything about a
> user trying to edit the menus when root should be doing that.
> I can edit the menus as root, for root, but nothing else. Can
> someone clear this up for me please?

> Where are the online docs. I installed kde2 from the rpm's
> but the online docs were not in any of the rpm's and I've
> seen posts indicating that the english docs are nowhere to be
> found...??

> Thanks!! :)

> Norman Baccari
> Toronto, Canada

Okay you said bear withyou and I did.. now bear with me...

What distro are you running? Why? Because KDE rpms are not KDE, they are
most usually a distribution's "interpretation" of KDE with changes,
anomolies and what not. Case in point. Mandrake does not even use the KDE
menu system. Frankly I'd be surprised if you installed thier rpms
successfully given the changes between 7.1 and 7.2. Red Hat also has had
numerous glitches reported...

Now as to the docs... say what you will. You could argue they were
incomplete, but not that they were missing from KDE. I guess it is
important to realize that no distro is KDE or Linux... they are Red Hat,
Mandrake, SuSE, etc...

So.... pardon me for being frustrated that people don't get it over and
over and still think "one-stop-shopping" as in Redmond. (Grrr!)

State your relevent information and you will get lots of help.

--
Eric Laffoon
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team

KDE2 Menu Editing; "Wherez da docs?"

Post by Norman Baccar » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> > Im totally mystified as to the menu editing in KDE2.

[8<]

Quote:> > Where are the online docs. I installed kde2 from the rpm's

[8<]

Quote:

> Okay you said bear withyou and I did.. now bear with me...

> What distro are you running? Why? Because KDE rpms are not KDE, they are

Redhat is the distribution and I got it from the kde site
at ftp.kde.org

Regardless of the distribution it still doesnt answer why
I get a different menu structure when editing from the one that
is actually on the panel, even if the menus are laid out differently
from one dist to the next(?)

Quote:> Now as to the docs... say what you will. You could argue they were
> incomplete, but not that they were missing from KDE. I guess it is
> important to realize that no distro is KDE or Linux... they are Red Hat,
> Mandrake, SuSE, etc...

Once again, regardless of the distribution, I would think
the online docs should be included and complete in any
distribution.

Thanks for your input
Norm

Post by James Richard Tyre » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:26:19

> Im totally mystified as to the menu editing in KDE2.
> This is my first time using kde so bear with me. When I
> call up the system menu editor the first confusion comes
> when I see the menu structure presented to me.  Its not
> the same as the menu structure from the panels k menu button.
> Why is that? If I try to edit the menus as user the editor
> goes through the motions but doesn't actually make any changes
> to the menu when I quit the editor and log out/in. If this has
> to be done as root then why does the menu editor a: allow me
> to do the editing as a user and b: not say anything about a
> user trying to edit the menus when root should be doing that.
> I can edit the menus as root, for root, but nothing else. Can
> someone clear this up for me please?

> Where are the online docs. I installed kde2 from the rpm's
> but the online docs were not in any of the rpm's and I've
> seen posts indicating that the english docs are nowhere to be
> found...??

> Thanks!! :)

> Norman Baccari
> Toronto, Canada

An explanation of how the menu system works would be quite helpful.
There is some documentation for the menu editor in KDE Help (the life
preserver).  I have been trying to figure this out for a while and will
provide my best guesses.  Anyone that knows more, please correct me.

1.      There is a file: "/etc/kderc".  This has a tag [Directories].  Under
this is a path "dir_apps".  Things on this path appear in your menus,
and can't be edited with the menu editor.  If you don't want this,
remove the directories from the path.

2.      The menu editor works only on the current "$HOME" (or "/root" if
logged on as root) directory.  "*.kdelnk" or "*.desktop" files placed in
the directory "/user/share/applnk" are copied to the "$HOME"
directories.

3.      If you want to remove something, you need to delete it from the
"/usr/share/applnk" directory first.

First thing you need to do is to edit or rename the "/etc/kderc" file.
Then, edit the directory tree rooted at "/usr/share/applnk" to remove
anything you don't want.  Copy all of the files and directories
(everything except for hidden files) to your "$HOME" directories (but
not to "/root").  Change the owner of these files to the owner of the
home directory.

Restart the X server, and you should now be able to use the menu editor
to add things with the menu editor.  But, don't expect it to work
perfectly.  If you edit your "$HOME/.kde/share/applnk" tree, the changes
won't show up in the menu till you restart KDE.

JRT

Post by Eric Laffoo » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>> > Im totally mystified as to the menu editing in KDE2.

> [8<]

>> > Where are the online docs. I installed kde2 from the rpm's

> [8<]

>> Okay you said bear withyou and I did.. now bear with me...

>> What distro are you running? Why? Because KDE rpms are not KDE, they are

> Redhat is the distribution and I got it from the kde site
> at ftp.kde.org

> Regardless of the distribution it still doesnt answer why
> I get a different menu structure when editing from the one that
> is actually on the panel, even if the menus are laid out differently
> from one dist to the next(?)

Ah now you're thinking... it's bound to get you into trouble. ;-) You would
think it would be the same... however what i was saying about Mandrake is
that they do not use the KDE menu editor nor do they use /usr/share/applnk
as the primary root of the menus. The store them in scripts in the /etc
tree and rebuild them. I built KDE from source to get away from such
insanity.

So as you can see what you think... well, we can't just assume everyone is
as rational as us. Now as to your issue. I took a look at my menus. Here is
all that I noted to be the least bit odd.

1) menu items within directories may be out of order compared to menus, but
not misplaced.
2) I have one additional menu folder called apps above them all that has
screen savers under it. It makes no sense except that it seems to mirror
the only 3 deep menus.

Other than that it seems to have the structure perfectly. I am not familiar
with RH but maybe they whack thier menus a bit too?

Quote:

>> Now as to the docs... say what you will. You could argue they were
>> incomplete, but not that they were missing from KDE. I guess it is
>> important to realize that no distro is KDE or Linux... they are Red Hat,
>> Mandrake, SuSE, etc...

> Once again, regardless of the distribution, I would think
> the online docs should be included and complete in any
> distribution.

You would certainly thik so wouldn't you. Again, I'm not in a position to
know if RH got this right but I have seen several mentions to their lack of
attention to detail on KDE 2. Not to slight them but it seems they have a
history of this on non-server issues. That is, little niggling chinks in
the package. Of course Mandrake totally butchers the menus so...

All I know is that as distros mature it seems the only way to be sure what
you get is right is to compile it your self. I have menus that seem right
and documentation.

BTW regarding your docs, be sure you have docbook DSSL style sheets. Also
Jade is required for compiling. I have no idea if you need it after.

Quote:

--

Post by James Richard Tyre » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> 2) I have one additional menu folder called apps above them all that has
> screen savers under it. It makes no sense except that it seems to mirror
> the only 3 deep menus.

I had that menu also.  I don't know where it came from, but I simply
deleted it.

<SNIP>

Quote:

> You would certainly thik so wouldn't you. Again, I'm not in a position to
> know if RH got this right but I have seen several mentions to their lack of
> attention to detail on KDE 2. Not to slight them but it seems they have a
> history of this on non-server issues. That is, little niggling chinks in
> the package. Of course Mandrake totally butchers the menus so...

I don't know if I have the "Official" RH RPMs since I down loaded them
from KDE's FTP site.

<SNIP>

Quote:> Eric Laffoon