KDE Startup

Post by et1ma » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've changed the following line in my 'etc/inittab' ::
 #Run xdm in runlevel 5
  x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

  x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon

This now give's me the KDE logine box, but when I log in goes to a X11
Windowmanager instead of KDE.

But if I just type 'startx' KDE, when in runlevel 3, it comes up just
fine.

I'm trying to get KDE to handle the login and go to a KDE desktop
environment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

KDE Startup

Post by Chris Menz » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I've changed the following line in my 'etc/inittab' ::
>  #Run xdm in runlevel 5
>   x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

>   x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon

> This now give's me the KDE logine box, but when I log in goes to a X11
> Windowmanager instead of KDE.

> But if I just type 'startx' KDE, when in runlevel 3, it comes up just
> fine.

Sounds like your .xinitrc file contains the "startkde" command but your
.xsession file (if you have one) doesn't.  (.xinitrc runs when you start
X from the command line, .xsession runs (typically) when you login via
a display manager like xdm/kdm.)  If you don't have a .xsession file,
you can just create a symbolic link named ".xsession" to your .xinitrc
file.

KDE Startup

Post by et1ma » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > I've changed the following line in my 'etc/inittab' ::
> >  #Run xdm in runlevel 5
> >   x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

> >   x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon

> > This now give's me the KDE logine box, but when I log in goes to a X11
> > Windowmanager instead of KDE.

> > But if I just type 'startx' KDE, when in runlevel 3, it comes up just
> > fine.

> Sounds like your .xinitrc file contains the "startkde" command but your
> .xsession file (if you have one) doesn't.  (.xinitrc runs when you start
> X from the command line, .xsession runs (typically) when you login via
> a display manager like xdm/kdm.)  If you don't have a .xsession file,
> you can just create a symbolic link named ".xsession" to your .xinitrc
> file.

I didn't have the file called .xsession.  So I'll give it a try.
But I did the following and it seemed to work, but could you tell me if
this the correct:
    I edited  '/etc/X11/init/Xclients' and added the following to the
select case:

            KDE | kde)
                    exec  /opt/kde/bin/startkde
                    ;;

It seems to work but when I log out I now get a green bar across the top of
the screen that stays there for a while, then goes back to the KDE login
box.

Again thanx for the help.

KDE Startup

Post by et1ma » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > Sounds like your .xinitrc file contains the "startkde" command but your
> > .xsession file (if you have one) doesn't.  (.xinitrc runs when you start
> > X from the command line, .xsession runs (typically) when you login via
> > a display manager like xdm/kdm.)  If you don't have a .xsession file,
> > you can just create a symbolic link named ".xsession" to your .xinitrc
> > file.

> I tried this and it started up with fvwm95; do you have any other
> suggestions?

v/r
ET1

KDE Startup

Post by Chris Menz » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> But I did the following and it seemed to work, but could you tell me if
> this the correct:
>     I edited  '/etc/X11/init/Xclients' and added the following to the
> select case:

>             KDE | kde)
>                     exec  /opt/kde/bin/startkde

That's another way to do it, maybe even preferable to using .xsession.

Quote:> It seems to work but when I log out I now get a green bar across the top of
> the screen that stays there for a while, then goes back to the KDE login
> box.

No idea there, but sounds harmless.

KDE Startup

Post by Jan Schauman » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I 'm new to kde and have a question. I recently installed linux
> (MacMillian software Complete linux system 6.5). And during the
> installation, I choose to start in kde. And it's great! But I still
> like the command line stuff. I can't figure out how to shut kde down,
> and just get to the command line. When I shut it down it gives me a
> login screen, with 3 choices. Shutdown, restart kde and shutdown and
> restart. Also there is a dropdown menu with kogin choices. kde, up level
> and failsafe. None of these get me to strickly command line. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

You are in runlevel 5 - that's why you always get the x-login even if
you log out.
you can either switch to runlevel 3 (in /etc/inittab) - this will give
you the command-line prompt/login when you boot, and when you exit X.
or you can open a virtual console when in X by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Fx (x
being 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) you will get a command line login. You can do
your stuff there, and when you're sick of it, log out and press
Ctr+Alt+F7 (or F8) and you get back to your X-session.

But why don't you just open a normal shell and do your command-line
stuff there?

-Jan

KDE Startup

Post by tbru.. » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I 'm new to kde and have a question. I recently installed linux
(MacMillian software Complete linux system 6.5). And during the
installation, I choose to start in kde. And it's great! But I still
like the command line stuff. I can't figure out how to shut kde down,
and just get to the command line. When I shut it down it gives me a
login screen, with 3 choices. Shutdown, restart kde and shutdown and
restart. Also there is a dropdown menu with kogin choices. kde, up level
and failsafe. None of these get me to strickly command line. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

KDE Startup

Post by Lai Shu Kin » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello Jan,
   I totally agree with you, until I had a bad experience on booting up
failure in connect a serial device-not mouse. That force me back to command
line environment.

Best Regards,
King

Quote:

> But why don't you just open a normal shell and do your command-line
> stuff there?

> -Jan

1. Kde startup login

Can anyone tell how to start kdm from startup?  I changed the .xinitrc file
to only read startkdm,  and changed the inittab file's runlevel to 5,  but
it still starts with fvwm.  How do I get it to start with kdm insteaad (ya
know, with the kdm login screen?)

Thanks...

2. XMMS and KDE

3. 402 & Corel/Debian - KDE startup

4. simple rename of directories question

5. KDE Startup Problems

6. Comment faire un menu sous UNIX

7. kde startup problems

8. N-scape. Save Bookmarks not working.

9. licq on kde startup..

10. KDE startup scripts

11. KDE Startup

12. problem on kde startup

13. KDE Startup in a Solaris NIS Server ENV