kmail displays html source

Post by MH » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:46:12

If someone sends me HTML email, Kmail displays the source. I don't recall
experiencing this before, but can't seem to find a way to correct this.
Anyone else notice this? Have a solution?

I'm using Kmail 1.3.1 (KDE 2.2-11/RedHat 7.2).

kmail displays html source

Post by Arne Schmit » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:54:41

> If someone sends me HTML email, Kmail displays the source. I don't recall
> experiencing this before, but can't seem to find a way to correct this.
> Anyone else notice this? Have a solution?

Apart from HTML email being bad, I think looking at the "Folder"-menu will
help. There is an option for enabling HTML emails.

Arne

--
Just remember: when you go to court, you are trusting your fate to
twelve people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty!

[--- PGP key available on http://www.root42.de/ ---]

kmail displays html source

Post by MH » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:20:13

>> If someone sends me HTML email, Kmail displays the source. I don't recall
>> experiencing this before, but can't seem to find a way to correct this.
>> Anyone else notice this? Have a solution?

> Apart from HTML email being bad, I think looking at the "Folder"-menu will
> help. There is an option for enabling HTML emails.

Sorry. I should have been more explicit. I DON'T want to view HTML in my
email--any of it, source or otherwise. I have never used the HTML option in
Kmail before, and do not recall ever seeing source. I presumed HTML tags
were filtered out by Kmail, but that doesn't appear to be happening with
this installation. THAT is the behaviour I would like.

kmail displays html source

Post by ne.. » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:23:03

>>> If someone sends me HTML email, Kmail displays the source. I don't recall
>>> experiencing this before, but can't seem to find a way to correct this.
>>> Anyone else notice this? Have a solution?

>> Apart from HTML email being bad, I think looking at the "Folder"-menu will
>> help. There is an option for enabling HTML emails.

> Sorry. I should have been more explicit. I DON'T want to view HTML in my
> email--any of it, source or otherwise. I have never used the HTML option in
> Kmail before, and do not recall ever seeing source. I presumed HTML tags
> were filtered out by Kmail, but that doesn't appear to be happening with
> this installation. THAT is the behaviour I would like.

I believe Kmail used to display HTML email as a default.
Now you have to enable it. I do not believe KMail ever
filtered out the HTML tags. You'll need to file a feature
request with bugs.kde.org for this.

Certified: 40% bastard, 22% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest

kmail displays html source

Post by Arne Schmit » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:34:07

> Sorry. I should have been more explicit. I DON'T want to view HTML in my
> email--any of it, source or otherwise. I have never used the HTML option
> in Kmail before, and do not recall ever seeing source. I presumed HTML
> tags were filtered out by Kmail, but that doesn't appear to be happening
> with this installation. THAT is the behaviour I would like.

You can write a filter for that: Click "Settings" -> "Configure Filters".
Then click "New". In "Filter Criteria" use "<any header>" - "contains" -
- "Trash". Also make sure to "Apply this filter on incoming messages". Also
"If this filter matches, stop processing here".

Voila!

Arne

--
(null cookie; hope that's ok)

Post by Arne Schmit » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:36:57

> You can write a filter for that: Click "Settings" -> "Configure Filters".
> Then click "New". In "Filter Criteria" use "<any header>" - "contains" -
> folder" - "Trash". Also make sure to "Apply this filter on incoming
> messages". Also "If this filter matches, stop processing here".

Uhm. Sorry. That will delete of course all HTML-mail, which is also quite
nice! :))

But instead you can also "pipe" the mail through a program. In this case
"lynx -dump - " would be the right thing. This feeds the mail through lynx
so that pure ascii text will result. I did not try this, but it should work.

Arne

--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.

Post by Robert_ » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:33:22

>> You can write a filter for that: Click "Settings" -> "Configure Filters".
>> Then click "New". In "Filter Criteria" use "<any header>" - "contains" -
>> folder" - "Trash". Also make sure to "Apply this filter on incoming
>> messages". Also "If this filter matches, stop processing here".

> Uhm. Sorry. That will delete of course all HTML-mail, which is also quite
> nice! :))

> But instead you can also "pipe" the mail through a program. In this case
> "lynx -dump - " would be the right thing. This feeds the mail through lynx
> so that pure ascii text will result. I did not try this, but it should
> work.

> Arne

If that doesn't work, just set a keybinding that will toggle "prefer html
to plain text".  Just hit the key to read it then toggle it back to off.
(under settings->configure key bindings)

all the best,
Robert_L