How to install KDE 3.1.2 on RedHat 7.2?

Post by Tron Thom » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:59:32

I have RedHat Linux (Intel) 7.2, and I want to use the latest version
of KDE.

I downloaded and ran the Konstruct build tool and ran 'make install'
in the 'kde/kdebase' directory.

However, after successfully building KDE (or that portion of it), I'm
still do not know how to install it.

RedHat 7.2 has some sort of manager program that runs when your system
is automatically set to start X Windows.  This management program asks
what kind of session you want to run.  I only have one KDE session
option and when I choose that option it always runs the original
version of KDE that came with RedHat 7.2.

What do I need to do in order to be able to get version 3.1.2
installed and running on my system?

How to install KDE 3.1.2 on RedHat 7.2?

Post by Sayantan Su » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:36:21

Tron,

Quote:> I have RedHat Linux (Intel) 7.2, and I want to use the latest version
> of KDE.

- Very good ! The kde that comes along with RedHat sucks.

Quote:> I downloaded and ran the Konstruct build tool and ran 'make install'
> in the 'kde/kdebase' directory.

- Which parts of KDE you build and in what order are important. You should
build in this order
1. arts
2. kdelibs
3. kdebase
4. anything else but kdeaddons
5. build / install kdeaddons last.

Quote:> However, after successfully building KDE (or that portion of it), I'm
> still do not know how to install it.

- While building KDE, give a prefix to the configure script. e.g.
./configure --prefix=/opt/kde <other options>
After configure, run make and then as root run make install [if installing
in a non-root directory, you can install as user]
Now, you have built KDE and it is ready for use. But there is something more
you need to do.

1. In your .bashrc include KDEDIR=<location of your KDE>
2. Include $KDEDIR/bin in your path *before* the bin path of the earlier
kde.
3. Additionally you can also export QTDIR as where the installation of QT is
on your system.

Now, if you login and choose KDE as your preferred desktop, you should be
able to run kde 3.1.2. If you do not want the Redhat default login manager,
you can switch to kdm ... I have done that :-)

--
Sayantan Sur

Graduate Research Assistant
Dept. of Computer Science
The Ohio State University.

Post by Liam O'Tool » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:50:13

> I have RedHat Linux (Intel) 7.2, and I want to use the latest version
> of KDE.

> I downloaded and ran the Konstruct build tool and ran 'make install'
> in the 'kde/kdebase' directory.

> However, after successfully building KDE (or that portion of it), I'm
> still do not know how to install it.

> RedHat 7.2 has some sort of manager program that runs when your system
> is automatically set to start X Windows.  This management program asks
> what kind of session you want to run.  I only have one KDE session
> option and when I choose that option it always runs the original
> version of KDE that came with RedHat 7.2.

> What do I need to do in order to be able to get version 3.1.2
> installed and running on my system?

If you ran "make install" successfully then KDE 3.1.2 already is
installed. BY default it installs into ~/kde3.1.2. See the README
file in the konstruct directory for details of what do next.

How to register your shiny new KDE build with the Redhat
display manager is another matter. Perhaps someone else can
help?

--

Liam

E-mail: remove "_alias" from the address above

Post by Tron Thom » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 08:48:35

> Tron,

> > I have RedHat Linux (Intel) 7.2, and I want to use the latest version
> > of KDE.

> - Very good ! The kde that comes along with RedHat sucks.

> > I downloaded and ran the Konstruct build tool and ran 'make install'
> > in the 'kde/kdebase' directory.

> - Which parts of KDE you build and in what order are important. You should
> build in this order
> 1. arts
> 2. kdelibs
> 3. kdebase
> 4. anything else but kdeaddons
> 5. build / install kdeaddons last.

> > However, after successfully building KDE (or that portion of it), I'm
> > still do not know how to install it.

> - While building KDE, give a prefix to the configure script. e.g.
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde <other options>
> After configure, run make and then as root run make install [if installing
> in a non-root directory, you can install as user]
> Now, you have built KDE and it is ready for use. But there is something more
> you need to do.

> 1. In your .bashrc include KDEDIR=<location of your KDE>
> 2. Include $KDEDIR/bin in your path *before* the bin path of the earlier
> kde.
> 3. Additionally you can also export QTDIR as where the installation of QT is
> on your system.

> Now, if you login and choose KDE as your preferred desktop, you should be
> able to run kde 3.1.2. If you do not want the Redhat default login manager,
> you can switch to kdm ... I have done that :-)

Do the directions you've given appy to the Konstruct build tool?.  I
ran make from the kdebase directiory.  Did this just build kde base or
did it build everything that it depends on first?
It certainly took a long time for it to succeed.

Also it installed KDE under my home directory.  I didn't want it
there.  How would I move it to another location?  Will I have to
rebuild everything?

I am not familiar with kdm.  How do I use it?

1. Installing KDE 3.0 on Redhat 7.2

Can anyone help me?  I am trying to install KDE 3.0 desktop on RH 7.2 but
when I run the installation I get dependency errors, version errors and
statements saying other files are needed. I went through the Readme files on
KDE's site and also went through the newsgroups but I am still having
issues. What am I missing? I downloaded all the files from the RH folder in
KDE's mirror site and used the install command in the Readme file as well.

I am kind of a newbie in Linux.

Thanks!
John

2. Q. Install Linux w/ 2MB RAM?

3. newbie trying to install KDE 2.2.2 from Redhat 7.2 RPMs

4. Backup Connection

5. install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

6. Background rz/sz

7. Un Install Redhat 7.2 and back to Windows Install ?????

8. Firewall Please help!

9. Problem with RedHat 7.2 and KDE

10. KDE crashes on start in RedHat 6.2 to 7.2 upgrade

11. KDE 3.0 and RedHat 7.2

12. KDE task list in RedHat 7.2

13. KDE 2.1 for RedHat 7 in Mandrake 7.2