How can I have True Type Fonts display on KDE?

How can I have True Type Fonts display on KDE?

Post by Tony Smol » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

look for one of two programs, xfstt, or xfsft (I think).  Both of these
provide solutions for using True Type fonts under X, and KDE by extension,
or you can wait for the next version of Xfree which I believe is supposed to
have TT support built in.

--

Tony Smolar

http://www.ultranet.com/~asmolar           homepage

How can I have True Type Fonts display on KDE?

Post by b.. » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

:>
:
: look for one of two programs, xfstt, or xfsft (I think).  Both of these
: provide solutions for using True Type fonts under X, and KDE by extension,
: or you can wait for the next version of Xfree which I believe is supposed to
: have TT support built in.
:

Perhaps this is a good chance to ask a question about something I
noticed a while ago. When running xfs_t_t and KDE, memory consumption
of xfstt quickly goes up into the 15mb region - and then never
gets lower, even though none of the KDE standard fonts is set to
a truetype font. Is there some mechanism in KDE that forgets to close
fonts after opening - like the Netscape bug mentioned in the xfstt faq?

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt

Post by Christopher Wo » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Perhaps this is a good chance to ask a question about something I
>noticed a while ago. When running xfs_t_t and KDE, memory consumption
>of xfstt quickly goes up into the 15mb region - and then never
>gets lower, even though none of the KDE standard fonts is set to
>a truetype font. Is there some mechanism in KDE that forgets to close
>fonts after opening - like the Netscape bug mentioned in the xfstt faq?

I use xfsft with KDE 1.1 and XFree86 3.3.3.1, and its memory usage never
goes beyond about 1MB.

--

Chris

How can I have True Type Fonts display on KDE?

Post by b.. » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

:>
:>Perhaps this is a good chance to ask a question about something I
:>noticed a while ago. When running xfs_t_t and KDE, memory consumption
:>of xfstt quickly goes up into the 15mb region - and then never
:>gets lower, even though none of the KDE standard fonts is set to
:>a truetype font. Is there some mechanism in KDE that forgets to close
:>fonts after opening - like the Netscape bug mentioned in the xfstt faq?
:
: I use xfsft with KDE 1.1 and XFree86 3.3.3.1, and its memory usage never
: goes beyond about 1MB.
:

Well, that doesn't entirely solve my problem - it's curious that using
traditional X clients like Fvwm in all its varieties, Lyx and others
I can see that memory is allocated for bitmap caches and freed again,
but using KDE it is never freed. I can readily believe that xfsft
doesn't show that problem as it's more integrated into the standard X
font server, which also works fine.

I am still very curious where the problem arises, though.
--

Post by Tony Smol » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>:>
>:
>: look for one of two programs, xfstt, or xfsft (I think).  Both of these
>: provide solutions for using True Type fonts under X, and KDE by extension,
>: or you can wait for the next version of Xfree which I believe is supposed to
>: have TT support built in.
>:

>Perhaps this is a good chance to ask a question about something I
>noticed a while ago. When running xfs_t_t and KDE, memory consumption
>of xfstt quickly goes up into the 15mb region - and then never
>gets lower, even though none of the KDE standard fonts is set to
>a truetype font. Is there some mechanism in KDE that forgets to close
>fonts after opening - like the Netscape bug mentioned in the xfstt faq?

XFSTT runs as an X server, right?

Several people have noticed that KDE causes a memory leak in the X server
that sounds very much like what you've described here.

Quote:>--

Post by b.. » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

:
: XFSTT runs as an X server, right?
:

As an X font server, that's right, while the other fonts
are dished out by the X server itself.

: Several people have noticed that KDE causes a memory leak in the X server
: that sounds very much like what you've described here.
:

Oh well, then it will probably have disappeared in the next
version - I can wait for that.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt

How can I have True Type Fonts display on KDE?

Post by Christopher Che » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

That means this is not the right time to have true type fonts on
X-windows...

Post by b.. » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

: That means this is not the right time to have true type fonts on
: X-windows...
:

Well, with just fvwm xfstt works pretty well. But I don't really
need Truetype fonts: I've some excellent font editors from Pyrus,
which means that I can convert all my[1] Truetype fonts to postscript,
and the net result is pretty much the same. Xfstt is just so very
convenient.

[1]
For all the copyright lawyers out there: 'my' in this sentence means
_mine_; the fonts I've constructed myself. I can do with them what I
want. I'm not talking about illegally converting other people's fonts.
--

Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt