kppp using ibm.net

Post by Douglas Nichol » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

Do you have ibm as your isp and you have it working? I have
been trying to get mine to work. I have a script that worked
with chat, but it seems to be overly complicated and there
must be a better way. Are you using pap, chap? Or did you do
a script? If you did a script can I see your?

Thanks
--
Cheers

Douglas Nichols

Database Manager                            National Wilms
Tumor Study Group
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

kppp using ibm.net

Post by Mike » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

> Do you have ibm as your isp and you have it working? I have
> been trying to get mine to work. I have a script that worked
> with chat, but it seems to be overly complicated and there
> must be a better way. Are you using pap, chap? Or did you do
> a script? If you did a script can I see your?

> Thanks
> --
> Cheers

> Douglas Nichols

> Database Manager                            National Wilms
> Tumor Study Group
> Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

I am using RedHat 5.2 and KDE with Kppp with IBM.net.  To use Kppp I  first put
the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf.  Then I put my login in and passwd  in
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets ( I used Internet.usinet.mylogin  *  mypassword, that is
Internet with a Captila "I".  There is a space and an asterik "*" between the
login and password.  I set up Kppp to use PAP... very    important that your
mark it for PAP.
I seems to work well.    I have been able to connect to ibm.net using slip and
ppp with the scripts that are on the www.ibm.net site.  Go to the help section,
select slip/ppp scripts, then select Linux.  I followed them to the letter and
they both (slip and ppp) worked the first time.

Mike

or

1. Setting Up kPPP to use on ibm.net

I had the same problem, and I know that pppd is setup correctly because
it'll work fine if I use the RH 'netcfg' frontend to make the scripts. I
don't know why it did that.

That being said, (and no help being given *G*) I still prefer to use Dip
invoked from a shell script. The actual Dip script is completetly
configurable, and mine, for instance, will dial a round-robin of numbers
until it gets the connect, and will redial if the connect is dropped. It's
text mode, and it takes a few minutes more to setup, but it's so flexible.

Anyway, as you can tell, I was only suggesting that you take a look. If you
ever decide to give Dip a try, I can show some examples of scripts. And
being run in a text window (that just gets minimized anyway) rather than a
graphical frontend, it uses less system resources.

--

-----------------------------

-----------------------------

2. newbie question

3. IBM.net and kppp

4. urgent: IBM HTTP w/ Domino LDAP?

5. Setting Up kPPP to use on ibm.net

6. can't boot custom kernel

7. Linux (RH 5.1) and ibm.net using ppp and/or slip

8. WWW: Glibc 2 for Linux Web Page

9. connecting to ibm.net using PPP + some new user questions

10. ppp on ibm.net

11. ibm.net

12. IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

13. IBM.NET connection problem