followup to my own post (staroffice and kde core)

followup to my own post (staroffice and kde core)

Post by Tom Rome » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:19:00

Followup to my own message.

Being new to KDE 2.1, I just discovered the most recent
versions of knode and kmail. Very nice. I'll only need
StarOffice for some MS office document compatibility.

Kudos to the KDE team.

Not a bad way to use some old(er) hardware.

I'm wondering if my staroffice problem may be traced back to
resource problems. I have 2 cores, one kdeinit, the other artsd.

> Hello all

> Has anyone seen or heard of the following behavior?

> I have:  hardware...
> Pentium "classic" 200 w/ 80 meg memory.
> Kingston 110TX 10/100 nic
> Pro Audio Spectrum sound card w/scsi CDROM
> Diamon Stealth II (S3 virge) video w/2 meg.

> Distro:
> RH 7.0
> Removed kde 1.2 rpms
> Installed KDE 2.1 via "stable RPMS" from link at kde site.
> installed JDK 118
> Installed StarOffice 5.2 (network install)
> If I try to input any HTTP address via staroffice
> kdeinit core dumps. I have to either telnet in from another box
> and kill all the kde processes or restart my linux box (hard reset).

> All else seems fine. It seems just the Staroffice Browser causes
> a kdeinit core dump.

> I don't really need the browser as I have netscape and otherwise
> KDE seems very stable. But I thought I'd see if anyone else has
> heard of or had the problem.

> Tom Romeo

-----------------
Tom Romeo

-----------------

1. Post StarOffice 5.2 install woes w/KDE

VA Linux 6, running KDE, kernel 2.2.17, HP Vectra VL

Set up the box all working fine booting level 5.  Installed StarOffice
5.2 (default config).  Once I restart the desktop, no one can log in
from level 5 gui login screen (tried failsafe, etc.)  Booted from
emergency floppy, mounted, edited inittab to boot to level 3.  Booted to
level 3, no problem.  Started X no sweat works fine as root.  However,
get the same "no can log in" behavior for other user.

Has anyone seen this behavior?  I struck out looking for this in docs.

BV

2. Solaris 2.6 + oracle + java = slow system

3. dumping text to a printer--a followup to my own question

4. videocard for rs6000 43p - 140

5. TiMidity vs AWE64

6. Followup: StarOffice 5.2 Bogosity --- "resolved" after a fashion

7. Serial 4800 8N1 Connection

8. Solaris Administrators Please Help, Followup to previous posting

9. The Telnet Protocol (Or, followup to my previous post about getting the RFCs)

10. Followup to SYSLOGD TRUNCATION post

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. StarOffice dumps cores