KDE mime type error

Post by Franki » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

I just installed KDE and it is excellent. Then I installed Kjukebox MP3
application. However, when I restarted the PC again, an error message
"Could not find mime type audio/x-mp1 in
/opt/kde/share/applnk/Multimedia/kjukebox.kdelnk". I would like to know
how I can solve this or how I can uninstall kjukebox?
Also, in the "Setting"->"Sound"->"System Sound", I can't set any
sound... my X should be able to use my sound card as my Licq can play
sounds....
So, what should I do in order to play sound in my windows?
I am using Redhat 5.2 and the version of KDE is 1.1
I appreciate any help you may give.

KDE mime type error

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrma » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

>I just installed KDE and it is excellent. Then I installed Kjukebox MP3
>application. However, when I restarted the PC again, an error message
>"Could not find mime type audio/x-mp1 in
>/opt/kde/share/applnk/Multimedia/kjukebox.kdelnk". I would like to know
>how I can solve this or how I can uninstall kjukebox?

KFM->Edit->Edit Mimetypes and add the appropriate mimetype. (Explained in the Help for KFM)

Alternative: KFM -> Edit -> Applications and change/remove the missing mimetype
for KJukebox.

Quote:>Also, in the "Setting"->"Sound"->"System Sound", I can't set any
>sound... my X should be able to use my sound card as my Licq can play
>sounds....

You have to drag a wav file on the menu.

Quote:>So, what should I do in order to play sound in my windows?

--

Get my public pgp / gpg key from                        # Open Source(TM)
http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/jura/moritz/pubkeymoritz  # but also

1. KDE mime type error

Hi all.

I'm a complete linux newbie, so try not to go too hard on me.  I
recently installed the Red Hat 5.1 distribution (Kernel 2.0.34) along
with XFree86 (3.3.2) and KDE.  I'm loving life now that KDE's running,
but somehow I must have screwed up a config file along the way.

Whenever I boot into KDE, I get an ERROR box (sometimes two) that says:
        Could not find mime type
        application/x-tbz
        in opt/kde/share/applnk/Utilities/kzip.kdelnk

Just hitting OK dismisses it, but occasionally it'll pop back up when I
do certain things, most notably starting File Manager (super user
mode).  I don't think it's causing other difficulties, but I find that
occasionally, after I dismiss this message multiple times, I then can't
run anything.  I click on programs in the K menu or on the launcher bar
and nothing happens.  I have to logout and log back on to get things
working again.

Now, realize that I don't have a clue what I'm doing here, but I went
and looked at the file in question.  It appears to be a launcher for the
KZip application.  When I bring up the properties dialog, there is
indeed a mime type listed for "application/x-tbz".  (And that pretty
much exhausts the troubleshooting I'm able to do with my limited
experience.)

I think this started popping up around the time I first used K | Panel |
Edit Menus to edit the title of some of my "non-KDE Apps".
Interestingly, in the "K" menu, the selection that takes me to the
non-KDE Apps and Red Hat Linux apps used to have the title "applnk".  At
about the same time as this message started appearing, it dropped it's
title and is now blank except for the little square.  (Not sure if
that's relevant at all, though.)

In an unrelated (I think) problem, I have recently experienced
difficulty (ok it's impossible) logging in as any user other than root.
I'm using the K login util, and it had been working fine for both
regular users and root.  However, when I booted up this morning, I tried
to log in as a regular user, and once I entered my password and pressed
ENTER, the hard drive whirred quickly, the screen blanked for a second
or two, and then the login box appeared again.  I tried a couple more
times, entering my password very carefully (checked CAPS lock, etc) but
no dice.  I then logged in as root and changed my password for the
regular user account.  Tried it again--no luck.  Everything must have
been configured correctly at one time, because I used this user account
for a good week without any problems.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

Chris

2. EZ publish

3. could not open mime types log file /etc/httpd/etc/mime.types.

4. a whole bunch of questions!

5. KDE mime type problem

6. Real Producer for Linux

7. Mime types in KDE 4 beta

8. limiting rlogin

9. edit Mime Types in KDE

10. KDE 4-how to give maxwell word processor documents a MIME type?

11. Associating Mime types in KDE

12. How to associate one MIME type with multiple file types?

13. Apache 1.3.27 internal server error by unknown mime type