X doesn't look right - File 0 of 2

Post by Simon Keel » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

first the specs:

P166 mmx
64 mb ram
Mandrake 7.0
Diamond Stealth II S220 (using rendition chipset)
XFree86 4.0 (using rendition.o driver module)
KDE 1.1.2

the situatuion:

I installed XFree86 4.0 and set it up to use the rendition driver
module.
starts up fine and runs at the resolution (1024x768 16bit colour)I want.

The
problem I'm having is with annoying display glitches mostly occuring on
screens
of black text on a white background.  What I'm seeing is basically
little
black
dots on the screen trailing letters in sentences.  The problem was worse

before
I tried to tweak my XF86Config file, the same annoying blinking
dots(glitches)
on buttons, menu items etc...

questions:

running X -probeonly returns the following dot clocks:
(--) Rendition(0): pixel clocks:  24.780  28.322  24.780  28.320
Does this mean that my modelines in XF86Config can use these and only
these
clocks??
If I am limited to these clocks does this mean I cant run 1024x768 at a
reasonable refresh rate??

I ask because my modeline for 1024x768 is:
Modeline "1024x768" 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312  768 769 772 800 -hsync
-sync

The mode works fine, as X brings up the server in this resolution no
problems.
However I still experience the same annoying display glitches i
mentioned
before.  I've tried different Modelines to get rid of the glitches but
the
one
i posted above gives the best picture and minimizes the glitches.

Anyone know if the Diamond Stealth II S220 uses a 170, 203 or 230 Mhz
ramdac??
Just wondering...

I've included the redirected output of 'startx' along with my XF86Config

file,
hopefully this provides more info to the gurus out there.
--
Simon

Remove NOT to reply by email....

I was walking around my building the other day, on the ledge, and I realized
I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of widths.

                --Steven Wright