What the heck is kded?

Post by Dan Simpso » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:59:47

I have recently started having trouble displaying images in kmail.
After starting kmail konqueror will not start until after a reboot.

I have traced it to a process called "kded".  If I kill kded
everything works just fine.  My question is:

What the heck is kded and how do I stop it from starting in the first place?

What the heck is kded?

Post by Roberto M » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:18:26

Dan Simpson, alle 15:59, sabato 28 giugno 2003, ha scritto:

Quote:> I have traced it to a process called "kded".  If I kill kded
> everything works just fine.  My question is:

I don't know what is kded, but now all my troubles have gone! Thanks for the
suggestion!
Roberto

What the heck is kded?

Post by giacomo boff » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:10:02

> I have traced it to a process called "kded".  If I kill kded
> everything works just fine.  My question is:

> What the heck is kded and how do I stop it from starting in the first place?

"man kded" doesn't help?

(i find that there is something plainly wrong in the way kde (or
 gnome, for what is worth) is being deployed... no man pages, no info
 files, some spare htlm pages that add so little to inspection of
 menus, to me using kde sometimes resembles using

--
termy prende per fatica, attento.                     -- PLS, in IFQ

What the heck is kded?

Post by Lauri Watt » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:05:24

What the heck is kded?

Post by Len Philp » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:13:45

> Turning it off is probably a bad idea.  If it's running slow, you should
> look at your system performance, in particular hard drive speeds, using
> or not using FAM or dnotify (both of which on some systems vastly speed
> up such file system watching, and on others trigger bugs that make
> things very slow indeed.)

I had a run-in with FAM on my RH72 installation. For some reason (with
no preceeding system mods), it suddenly started using vast amounts of
CPU and would hang the system on startup, preventing X from starting.
Killing the FAM process would allow things to progress, but it would do
it again next go-round. I disabled FAM startup with no apparent
side-effects, but it may have just been that I didn't use whatever FAM
"fed".

YMMV.

--

-- Len Philpot                          ><>  --

What the heck is kded?

Post by Dan Simpso » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:47:30

>> I have traced it to a process called "kded".  If I kill kded
>> everything works just fine.  My question is:

>> What the heck is kded and how do I stop it from starting in the first
>> place?

> "man kded" doesn't help?

> (i find that there is something plainly wrong in the way kde (or
>  gnome, for what is worth) is being deployed... no man pages, no info
>  files, some spare htlm pages that add so little to inspection of
>  menus, to me using kde sometimes resembles using

unless you consider this:

No manual entry for kded

To be help, No it didn't.

1. kded errors in KDE2

i just installed KDE2.0, but every time i install a program, log-on to
KDE or make certain adjustments, i get 5 kded errors about mime-types.
sometimes this causes the program i'm running to crash, but it doesn't
seem like there are any other side effects.

could someone please tell me how to resolve this?

thanks.

2. Partitioning Scheme

3. Frequent disk access from kded / kdesktop

4. Can't boot 2.0.36 with ATAPI ZIP drive installed

6. FORK, and Solaris

8. Need named (DNS) help

9. I am si**y am I?

12. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

13. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...