1. LILO dies: L AA AA AA AA AA ...
I tried installing RedHat 5.0 Linux on my Pentium Pro
PC, but ran into a problem on the LILO installation.
Here's my configuration:
Pentium Pro 200 MHz processor
64 megs RAM
S3/Virge VX 8 meg Video card
Adaptec SCSI card attached to CD-R drive
(1) master = 5 gig hard drive (C:, E:, F:)
slave = IOmega Zip drive (D:)
(2) master = CDROM drive
slave = 6.4 gig hard drive
Windows 98 (FAT32 on drives C:, E:, F:)
I got almost entirely through the installation.
I installed Linux on the 6.4 gig hard drive (hdd).
The only problem came up at the end, installing
the bootloader (in the master boot record).
The installation program said:
An error occurred during step "Install bootloader"
of the install.
I then selected "Previous" and it tried again,
producing the same error.
So the next time I tried "Retry" and it said "Congratulations"
and said everything was installed.
The problem, is now when I boot up, instead of getting
some LILO prompt, I get the following:
L AA AA AA AA AA etc...
That is, I see the letter "L", followed by a space and two "A"
letters. The double-A's emit at the rate of about one per second.
Hitting return, control-C, etc. has no effect. Only
control-alt-delete allows a reboot.
Now, I not only can't boot Linux, but I also can't boot
up Windows 98!
I did boot off of a Windows 98 boot floppy (and made sure
that C: was still there, it was, whew!) and tried to "sys c:"
to remove LILO, but that had no impact.
So I have some questions/pleas for help:
(1) Is there a way to make LILO work here? Have you
seen this problem before?
(2) Is there a way for me to remove LILO so I can
boot Windows 98 (off C:)?
(3) Do I need to resort to a boot floppy to boot
Linux? How would I make one?
Anxiously awaiting advice...
2. PC Computer Hardware Sale.
3. No Font-AA in KDE 3.0.2 on SuSE 7.3
4. Apache 1.1.1 single URL Redirects
5. LILO hangs with 'L AA AA AA AA'...
6. libc.so -- WAY old!
7. Why is SuSE updates for 7.3 older than 7.3?
8. mail works Mail doesn't
9. suse 7.3 and sound support on new ibook
10. KDE3 RPMs for SuSE 7.3 and JPG, PNG support
11. Could not load color 'rgb:aa/aa/aa'
12. RH 7.3 : AA fonts in KDE & Kicker
13. 43P 140 SuSE 7.3, Was: IBM RS/6000 43P 140 SuSe v7.3 PCI Graphic Card