Multiple Kickers Don't Play Well Together (& getting rid of the desktop background)

Multiple Kickers Don't Play Well Together (& getting rid of the desktop background)

Post by George Ellenbur » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:38:48

?Greetings!

I've got two interesting scenarios, and I would really appreciate some
suggestions on how best to make this work. :-)

Setup: iMac, XDarwin, xterm(s), ssh running Aqua; and Solaris 8, xterm,
ssh, running CDE.

1. Is it possible to disable the desktop background in KDE?
        Example: `ssh -f -X -C -l <user> <host> startkde` performs as
        expected, up to, and including, the desktop background.  Which,
        of course, while running XDarwin in rootless-window mode,
        occupies the foreground (of even my Mac's Desktop!)

        I'd like to keep the desktop if at all possible.  Macs' want to
        align their icons on the right, while KDE wants to align icons
        on the left.  This makes for a nice work environment, but with
        three FreeBSD machines (all running KDE) and a Sparc20 (running
        CDE), and a Mac running Aqua, I'd rather not lose my desktops on
        either the Sparc or Mac. ;-)

2. Is it possible to have two kickers, from two separate hosts, play
nicely with one-another?
        Example: `ssh -f -X -C -l <user> <host1> startkde` works
        beautifully (except the background as mentioned above).
        However, as soon as I enter `ssh -f -X -C -l <user> <host2>
        startkde` then another kicker is started, and I'm assuming
        through DCOP or some other method, both are fighting each other.

        It's actually quite humorous to watch... system tray icons keep
        getting moved from one kicker to the next, but it's quite
        unusuable.

        This phenomenon I've noticed since KDE 2.0.  Unfortunately, all
        this cross-talk generates an exhorbitant amount of excess
        network traffic as each kicker is trying to communicate with the
        other, and fighting over which one gets *.

Thanks in advance.

--
George Ellenburg
www.ellenburg.org

Post by spa » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 02:20:34

> 2. Is it possible to have two kickers, from two separate hosts, play
> nicely with one-another?
> Example: `ssh -f -X -C -l <user> <host1> startkde` works
> beautifully (except the background as mentioned above).
> However, as soon as I enter `ssh -f -X -C -l <user> <host2>
> startkde` then another kicker is started, and I'm assuming
> through DCOP or some other method, both are fighting each other.

I use local kicker on top and remote kicker on the bottom of the screen.
That way they co-exist peacefully.

--
spa

1. LILO && NCR53C810 don't work together

Hi folks,
I have a problem using linux with a SCSI-HD.
Configuration:
- ASUS-SP3G-Board
- Quantum-Empire 1080S attached to the on-board-NCR53C810-Controller
  Partitions: 1. FAT-DOS
              2. Linuxswap
              3. Linuxnative
- Linux 1.1.26 (also tried with 1.0.9)

The system works fine, but I must load the kernel from a floppy.
I tried to install LILO (both ways: partition and mbr), but the loader
says LI ..., and dies.

Is there anybody out there, who knows this problem (or better a solution)?

Thanks and bye
jo

2. Linux on a Macintosh G3

3. RH7.2, cdrecord and cron - don't seem to play nicely together

4. D-Link DFE 530TX

5. Ports Perl 5.6 and 5.8 don't play nicely together

6. possible to change from line in mail ????

7. LILO && NCR53C810 don't work together

8. Problems, Intel Management Adapter 100+

9. crond, rm & find don't work together

10. fetchmail & 'no fetchall': still getting multiple copies

11. MS Bluetooth KB & Mouse Don't work in SLP 9.3 Desktop - Suggestions for workarounds

12. AIX - IBM's JDK and JSP won't play together

13. Getting rid of the virtual desktop ...