Easy Newbie question about Updgrading

Post by Thomas Junio » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:47:08

I'm new to Linux, so, to keep things easy, I got a copy of Debian Woody
(Potato) and installed it on my machine.

I'm kidding, of course. What a nightmare. I chose Debian because it's open
source and I want to start contributing software, but the Debian installer
is so bad that, unless you're connected via broadband to the Internet (at
home I am not), there's no easy way to get an up-to-date software
installation.

So, I downloaded the lastest XFree86 and KDE desktop at work and brought
them home. I installed the base system of Debian from the install disk, ran
Tasksel but selected nothing (it installs some basic files anyway, like gcc
and python), and skipped Dselect. Then, I ran the Xinstall.sh script for
Xfree86. It installed fine, but there were too many links and setup that it
doesn't do and I didn't know how to.

So I wiped the disk and started over. This time I used Tasksel to install
only Xfree86 and KDE. Everything ran fine. I upgraded Xfree86 to 4.3.0 by
running Xinstall.sh. Since all the links were already in place, the upgrade
was easy. However, I was still running KDE 2.2.

Time to upgrade. I downloaded all the DEB files, and used apt-get, but it
didn't install correctly and ruined my KDE 2.2 installation.

I'm back to running XFree86 4.3.0 with KDE 2.2. Can anyone tell me the best
way to upgrade?

Thanks!

--

Tom Junior

     Automated Design Corporation
P: (630) 783-1150 F: (630) 783-1159

Post by Andreas Klaue » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:04:21

> I'm back to running XFree86 4.3.0 with KDE 2.2. Can anyone tell me the
> best way to upgrade?

Debian somehow, erm, lost quality in the last years. It takes ages
til new packages make their way to the stable tree. I don't even
know if Debian has anything newer than KDE 2.2 in any of its trees.
There are unofficial packages, but those almost broke my system.

Dividing things into stable/testing/unstable trees is a good idea,
but its rather bad that things take so long until you can use
them on the stable end. And thinking of KDE 2.2 (which is currently
in the stalbe tree) isn't even that stable...

I threw Debian away and switched to Gentoo because of that reason.
Gentoo has a package masking system (which prevents installing of
commercial/unstable packages unless you allow them), and newer
software gets available lots faster there.

Of course, I don't want to start a distribution war here.
Gentoo has lots of downsides, too.

If you want to stick with Debian, the best way to upgrade
remains 'apt-get update', 'apt-get upgrade'. Don't use software
you can't get this way; don't compile software yourself.
Of course, this may mean not to upgrade at all.
But, if you use unofficial packages or compile things yourself,
you risk breaking your distribution.

--

    * Menaures (a) UNItopia  |    >>   .\\.  http://www.Nerd-Boy.net
telnet://UNItopia.de         | __ |\ __ dd ______________________

Post by Liam O'Tool » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:28:23

> I'm new to Linux, so, to keep things easy, I got a copy of Debian Woody
> (Potato) and installed it on my machine.

> I'm kidding, of course. What a nightmare. I chose Debian because it's open
> source and I want to start contributing software, but the Debian installer
> is so bad that, unless you're connected via broadband to the Internet (at
> home I am not), there's no easy way to get an up-to-date software
> installation.

> So, I downloaded the lastest XFree86 and KDE desktop at work and brought
> them home. I installed the base system of Debian from the install disk, ran
> Tasksel but selected nothing (it installs some basic files anyway, like gcc
> and python), and skipped Dselect. Then, I ran the Xinstall.sh script for
> Xfree86. It installed fine, but there were too many links and setup that it
> doesn't do and I didn't know how to.

> So I wiped the disk and started over. This time I used Tasksel to install
> only Xfree86 and KDE. Everything ran fine. I upgraded Xfree86 to 4.3.0 by
> running Xinstall.sh. Since all the links were already in place, the upgrade
> was easy. However, I was still running KDE 2.2.

> Time to upgrade. I downloaded all the DEB files, and used apt-get, but it
> didn't install correctly and ruined my KDE 2.2 installation.

> I'm back to running XFree86 4.3.0 with KDE 2.2. Can anyone tell me the best
> way to upgrade?

> Thanks!

> --

> Tom Junior

>      Automated Design Corporation
> P: (630) 783-1150 F: (630) 783-1159

KDE 3.1.2 is in the Debian "unstable" branch. You will need to configure
apt-get to use that branch, and download the corresponding .deb files.

An easy way to arrive at a full and up-to-date Debian installation is to
use the hard-drive install feature in Knoppix. But that would mean
starting all over again :-(

--

Liam

E-mail: remove "_alias" from the address above

1. Easy question , Easy answer ?

Hi gurus,

I have following question, is there an easy answer ?

My LAN has couple of PC's with WIN95  and one Solaris 2.7 machine.
PCs are configured to share printers, so that I can print from PC1 at
printer of PC2.

I can also ftp, telnet ping,... to Solaris.
Is it possible to configure WIN95's printer to be also network printer for
Solaris ?

Thx ,

Milos

p.s.  If any answer, please send  a copy also to my direct address

2. SB16 and SCC-1 and MIDI

3. easy easy question

4. TIVOLI

5. Newbie Questions... easy answers I'm sure :)

6. FreeBSD on a laptop

7. A few (hopefully easy) newbie questions.

8. Init error

9. Easy newbie question

10. X vs XF86 vs Gnome (REALLY easy newbie question)

11. "Easy" question from a newbie

12. KDevelop Newbie with 2 easy questions. :)

13. easy newbie question