Cannot get KDE to run when logged in as root - please help!

Cannot get KDE to run when logged in as root - please help!

Post by Uri Kerb » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Could someone please help me out here. I installed KDE under Red Hat
5.2. I am using LILO and am automatically sent to the XWindows loging
prompt at each bootup.

When I log in as a standard user, KDE starts up fine, however, when I
log in as root, it starts up AfterStep and I cannot get KDE to work.
Is there a way of changing a configuration file or something to make
KDE work under root as well.

Also, is it possible to make KWM my standard window manager? When I
try to run KWM, it tells me that there is another window manager
already running. How do I get around this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Uri

Cannot get KDE to run when logged in as root - please help!

Post by Todd Graha » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

As root edit the /etc/inittab file and set the default to boot into the
command prompt. Yours probably looks like id:5:initdefault, change the 5
to a 3 and exit out of 'X' and you should be at the login prompt, you
may have to reboot but probably not necessary.  Anyway log in a root and
type usekde at the command line.  This will place a file called
.Xclients in the /root directory and will now use kde as a wm.  If you
ever want to use another wm as root you will have to re/move that file
from the /root directory.

good luck

thg

Quote:> Hi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Cannot get KDE to run when logged in as root - please help!

Post by LaL » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I thought his problem was he COULDN'T LOG IN AS ROOT !?!
Sincerely,
 LaLa

Cannot get KDE to run when logged in as root - please help!

Post by Terrap » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

run "switchdesk" as root and set your default
run "switchdesk" as (your user name) and set default

Quote:>Hi

>Could someone please help me out here. I installed KDE under Red Hat
>5.2. I am using LILO and am automatically sent to the XWindows loging
>prompt at each bootup.

>When I log in as a standard user, KDE starts up fine, however, when I
>log in as root, it starts up AfterStep and I cannot get KDE to work.
>Is there a way of changing a configuration file or something to make
>KDE work under root as well.

>Also, is it possible to make KWM my standard window manager? When I
>try to run KWM, it tells me that there is another window manager
>already running. How do I get around this?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>TIA

>Uri

1. Cannot log in as root AND cannot run xterm as user...

In the "System" submenu you'll find both a Terminal and a File Manager
running in "Super User Mode".

Or you can use <Alt>+<F2> and in the "Option >>" menu choose to start a
program as a different user (root).

--
Thomas O.

2. ppp success story

3. HELP PLEASE, Cannot log in as root!!

4. 2.1.126 compilation problems

6. ifconfig : SIOCAIFADDR : File exists

7. root cannot log into KDE

8. 2.5.44-mm1 with contest

9. Help! Cannot log in as root!

10. HELP - Cannot log in from non root account!

11. Cannot Start KDE desktop PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

12. Cannot install KDE, please help...

13. KDE cannot find libqti18n.so.3, Please Help