Desktop sharing w/cable modems?

Post by Lostar » Mon, 26 May 2003 07:01:51

Hi,

I just spent the morning giving my 91-year-old grandfather his very
first computer lesson on the new computer I gave him. It's set up with
KDE and is running beautifully (tho I couldnt get the SurfBoard
working via USB, had to use ethernet).

Anyway, he's practicing mouse skills using solitaire. So far I've gone
back over there once already because he dragged the KDE bar off the
screen somehow. And then lost solitaire.

It occurs to me that it would be awesome if I could log into his
desktop using desktop sharing. Both of us use cable modems and neither
has a static IP. Can this be done, or do I have to keep driving over
there whenever he has any trouble?

If anyone has the answer, I would be *greatly* indebted for the info.

Thanks!

-- Jeff

Post by BR » Mon, 26 May 2003 07:25:41

> It occurs to me that it would be awesome if I could log into his desktop
> using desktop sharing. Both of us use cable modems and neither has a
> static IP. Can this be done, or do I have to keep driving over there
> whenever he has any trouble?

I believe that KDE has a kiosk mode were you can do some locking down of
the desktop. There are also services (dydns, I believe) that give a static
name to a dynamic IP, usually by running a small program on the machines
that track the changes and then let the service know what the updated IP
is.

http://www.tjansen.de/krfb/

A VNC client is easy to obtain and may even be on one of your distribution
disks.

--
-Barry Hughes
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers

Desktop sharing w/cable modems?

Post by Lostar » Mon, 26 May 2003 22:52:31

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think of Kiosk mode, that
might be helpful. And I'll look into dyndns too.

JC

> > It occurs to me that it would be awesome if I could log into his desktop
> > using desktop sharing. Both of us use cable modems and neither has a
> > static IP. Can this be done, or do I have to keep driving over there
> > whenever he has any trouble?

> I believe that KDE has a kiosk mode were you can do some locking down of
> the desktop. There are also services (dydns, I believe) that give a static
> name to a dynamic IP, usually by running a small program on the machines
> that track the changes and then let the service know what the updated IP
> is.

> http://www.tjansen.de/krfb/

> A VNC client is easy to obtain and may even be on one of your distribution
> disks.

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Intel 82830 video chipset

3. Linux / Win98 file sharing, cable modem sharing

4. KDE tidbits

5. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 12049

6. Urgent pls help

7. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 12051

8. kAqua KDE theme leaves garbage!

9. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 11558

10. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 12058

11. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 11508

12. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 11530

13. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 11573