need HELP fast! enabling sound with kde2.2 on redhat 7.1

need HELP fast! enabling sound with kde2.2 on redhat 7.1

Post by bs » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 05:02:28

hey-

could someone *please* help me out with this one? I need this to be
fixed fast since I have a presentation coming up in at 2pm today..

I recently installed redhat 7.1 with kde2.2 and I just can't get sound
to work.
xmms song.mp3
starts playing but without sound. when I try the same as root, xmms
complains
arts_init error: can't connect to aRts soundserver

I chmod'ed /dev/dsp to 666 so it shouldn't be a permissions issue.

thanks for any help,
-bsa.

ps: I have kde 2.2, redhat 7.1 and kernel 2.4.2-2 (according to kde
control center). under information/sound, control center says "no info
available"

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 05:48:02

> could someone *please* help me out with this one? I need this to be
> fixed fast since I have a presentation coming up in at 2pm today..

In the roots console run sndconfig
--
Thomas O.

1. RedHat 7.1 and KDE2.2 - This is NOT good enough..

Hi all

A quick summary of my day so far. (Apologies for inexact error messages)

1. Cut a CD with KDE  2.2 (downloaded over the weekend) - 1 hour
2. Search the web (aimlessly) for installation instructions - 2 hours
3. Installed /non-kde and i386 rpms with nodeps and force (following
suggestion on dejanews) - 15 minutes
4. Stared aimlessly at the screen wondering what "..xxx is not empty -
installation failed..." means - 15 minutes
5. Started KDE2.2. Stared in amazement at having lost all my previous
desktop settings - 15 minutes
6. Reconfigured all settings as best I could - 2 hours
7. Discovered documentation errors when creating a new project with KDevelop
2.x - Aaargh - 30 minutes
8. Shut down my machine in disgust - 1 minute

Some time later...
9. Start up my box. My desktop is all over the place, all my fonts are
screwed. I do not want 'Bitstream' !!! - Aaargh

Is it possible to get rid of KDE altogether and do a fresh installation ?

Regards,
Leonard

Ps. I do not wish to start a heated argument of Windows vs Linux, but as a
professional developer I can't but conclude that what I have seen of Linux /
KDE thus far, it is simply not good enough. Nothing will give me greater
pleasure than being able to switch from NT to Linux / KDE but I cannot
afford to invest countless hours investigation idiosyncrasies. Over the
course of the last few months I've installed Linux 3 times, JBuilder 4
(still doesn't work), Sun's Java 1.3, StarOffice....and one each occasion
the process could be described as tedious and time consuming.

One may well argue...It's free...but I would much rather pay a fee for a
supported application and know that all those irritating little
inconsistencies are taken care of.

2. dual homed issues

3. Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

4. 1 * WyhySTuzk-NIS

5. Please help me to get sound to work on redhat linux 7.1

6. Which OS for work, home, desktop, server ? Why ?

7. xinetd for RedHat 7.1 with IPv6 Enabled

8. Why ignore a theoretical possibility?

9. when starting RedHat Linux 7.1 it stops after Enabling swap space

10. enabling telnet server, Redhat 7.1

11. Why is RedHat 7.1 so fast?

12. Help: No sound in Mandriva 2005 LE/ Sound Blaster Live Audigy 7.1 (24b)

13. Need help getting Linksys Wireless Ethernet to work with RedHat 7.1