Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by alan » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 04:17:21



Hello people

I am running SuSE 8.1 with Mozilla 1.2.1 installed.
I would like to make the fonts in Mozilla look as nice as they do in
Konqueror.  The problem is that Mozilla does not seem to anti-alias
them, or at least the ones I want.

For example, Konqueror uses the font URW-Nimbus, and they look very
nice.  When I try to select them under Mozilla, the fonts look like they
have the same shape, but look blocky and rough.  This also goes for the
fonts in the Mozilla menus and location bar.

I read the blurb on the mozilla site about enabling Truetype (is this
what URW-Nimbus is?), and it seems like my Mozilla has that Freetype
thing enabled.  The only thing I did in addition was add the URW
directory to the Mozilla font path (didn't seem to make a difference).
I also briefly skimmed the font de-uglification howto, but I figured
that I already had all the goodies enabled on my system, since it works
for KDE.

Anyway, the short question is: What do I need to do to get the Mozilla
fonts to look like Konqueror's?

Thanks

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by Richar » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:45:16


On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:17:21 +0000, the voice of alan echoed through the
empty void and this is what I heard:

Quote:> Hello people

> I am running SuSE 8.1 with Mozilla 1.2.1 installed. I would like to make
> the fonts in Mozilla look as nice as they do in Konqueror.  The problem
> is that Mozilla does not seem to anti-alias them, or at least the ones I
> want.

Mozilla's attempt at anti-aliasing isn't as nice as Konquerors
unfortunately. It works best with true type fonts. I don't seem to have
your Nimbus font on my system so I've no idea whether it's ttf or not. In
Mozilla you can tell which fonts are ttf as their font names have an
initial capital letter in the font list.

HTH

Richard

--
"Have you lived here all your life?"
"Oh, twice that long."

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by mjt » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:51:44



Quote:> I am running SuSE 8.1 with Mozilla 1.2.1 installed.
> I would like to make the fonts in Mozilla look as nice as they do in

http://sdb.suse.de/cgi-bin/sdbsearch_en.cgi?stichwort=mozilla

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
with all of the words: {mozilla fonts linux}
Searched Groups for mozilla fonts linux. Sorted by date
Results 1 - 20 of about 9,350. Search took 1.48 seconds.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by alan » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:01:24



> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:17:21 +0000, the voice of alan echoed through the
> empty void and this is what I heard:

>>Hello people

>>I am running SuSE 8.1 with Mozilla 1.2.1 installed. I would like to make
>>the fonts in Mozilla look as nice as they do in Konqueror.  The problem
>>is that Mozilla does not seem to anti-alias them, or at least the ones I
>>want.

> Mozilla's attempt at anti-aliasing isn't as nice as Konquerors
> unfortunately. It works best with true type fonts. I don't seem to have
> your Nimbus font on my system so I've no idea whether it's ttf or not. In
> Mozilla you can tell which fonts are ttf as their font names have an
> initial capital letter in the font list.

> HTH

> Richard

Well, that's another weird thing.  At least for the default install of
KDE on SuSE 8.1, the (Sans) Serif fonts are set as URW-Nimbus.  If you
try to set fonts in Mozilla, there is ALSO a URW-Nimbus, except that
it's in lower case.
 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by alan » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:21:05




>>I am running SuSE 8.1 with Mozilla 1.2.1 installed.
>>I would like to make the fonts in Mozilla look as nice as they do in

> http://sdb.suse.de/cgi-bin/sdbsearch_en.cgi?stichwort=mozilla

> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
> with all of the words: {mozilla fonts linux}
> Searched Groups for mozilla fonts linux. Sorted by date
> Results 1 - 20 of about 9,350. Search took 1.48 seconds.

Thank you for trying to help.  But are you aware that:
1) Mozilla 1.2.1 has no SuSEconfig module?
2) I want to turn antialiasing ON not OFF?
3) I already tried a google search, and the resultant posts didn't help?

Do your Mozilla fonts look as nice as Konqueror's?

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by Himey Lipschit » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:05:41



> Hello people

> I am running SuSE 8.1 with Mozilla 1.2.1 installed.
> I would like to make the fonts in Mozilla look as nice as they do in
> Konqueror.  The problem is that Mozilla does not seem to anti-alias
> them, or at least the ones I want.

> For example, Konqueror uses the font URW-Nimbus, and they look very
> nice.  When I try to select them under Mozilla, the fonts look like they
> have the same shape, but look blocky and rough.  This also goes for the
> fonts in the Mozilla menus and location bar.

> I read the blurb on the mozilla site about enabling Truetype (is this
> what URW-Nimbus is?), and it seems like my Mozilla has that Freetype
> thing enabled.  The only thing I did in addition was add the URW
> directory to the Mozilla font path (didn't seem to make a difference).
> I also briefly skimmed the font de-uglification howto, but I figured
> that I already had all the goodies enabled on my system, since it works
> for KDE.

> Anyway, the short question is: What do I need to do to get the Mozilla
> fonts to look like Konqueror's?

> Thanks

Huh? Konquer or more specifically KHTML does not render fonts as correctly,
nor scales them as well as ANY Mozilla based browser. The KDE antialiasing
is way too loud for my tastes so I do not use it. Most people also do not
have their Mozilla based browsers set up correctly for True Type font
rendering and SuSE comes with Freetype2 already configured to have the byte
code interpreter switched on. Most distros have it switched out to avoid
Apple Patent lawsuits.

Don't read the font de-uglification as it is a solution to an old problem
and pre-dates even Xfree86-4 and is also for Netscape 4.x which as some
already know had only one bad port and it was for Linux. Windows, Mac, and
other 'nixes like Solaris all had the Bitstream TrueDoc portable font
displayer.
That font is NOT a truetype font, it is a Ghostscript font. On other
platforms that developers know have the usual TrueType webfonts, Times New
Roman is the default serif font, Arial is the default Sans Serif and
Courier New is the default fixed width. All said fonts are Agfa Monotype
that Apple and Microsoft licensed and all have byte code embedded in them.
SuSE has Freetype enabled in its Mozilla packages as well as autohinted off
and unhinted on but none of this will help a bitmap font. You need webfonts
installed. make sure you have SuSE's KDE admin package so you get an
excellent font installer this way. KDE admin does not get pre-selected by
default, you must install it deliberately. The truetype directory is
already there by default and the font path already in the XF86config file
in SuSE. They do not use XFS as XFree86-4.x handles TrueType fonts itself
and uses Freetype2 backended to itself. XFS is only necessary if you are
serving fonts to dumb clients which 99.9% of modern Linux users will never
encounter this. XFS in Xfree causes most X server crashes and gets hung so
you cannot restart X. I did an experiment with Mandrake once by following
this principle and disabling XFS, adding the font patch discreetly in
XF86config and stability more than doubled and in the rare event X did
crash, I had KDE set up to restart X so it just logged me back in and no
major problems, no hangs or anything!

My question is, how do I get Konqueror to look as good as Mozilla,
Netscape7, and Phoenix?

                              Dave

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by Himey Lipschit » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:12:03




>> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:17:21 -0800  alan

>>>I am running SuSE 8.1 with Mozilla 1.2.1 installed.
>>>I would like to make the fonts in Mozilla look as nice as they do in

>> http://sdb.suse.de/cgi-bin/sdbsearch_en.cgi?stichwort=mozilla

>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
>> with all of the words: {mozilla fonts linux}
>> Searched Groups for mozilla fonts linux. Sorted by date
>> Results 1 - 20 of about 9,350. Search took 1.48 seconds.

> Thank you for trying to help.  But are you aware that:
> 1) Mozilla 1.2.1 has no SuSEconfig module?
> 2) I want to turn antialiasing ON not OFF?
> 3) I already tried a google search, and the resultant posts didn't help?

> Do your Mozilla fonts look as nice as Konqueror's?

My Mozilla fonts look better than Konquerors, hands down! The SuSEconfig
module has nothing to do with any of this even if it were there. It is a
simple bash script that makessu you have Java, pdf, and Realplayer plugins
and links them if they do not and updates the mozilla registry after that.
I have edited and added the same script to Phoenix and Netscape7, no
biggie! You are using a default Ghostscript font that is more suited to
printing than viewing. Without a decent set of True Type fonts installed,
you are chasing the end of your ****.

                                 Dave

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrman » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 01:55:06


FULL QUOTE ERASED!

http://learn.to/quote

Quote:> Huh? Konquer or more specifically KHTML does not render fonts as
> correctly, nor scales them as well as ANY Mozilla based browser. The KDE
> antialiasing is way too loud for my tastes so I do not use it.

That's not true. Konqueror (qt actually) and some newer inofficial releases
of Mozilla both use freetype2 to render the fonts. Thus there is no
difference at all.
 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by Richar » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:07:26


On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:01:24 +0000, the voice of alan echoed through the
empty void and this is what I heard:

Quote:

> Well, that's another weird thing.  At least for the default install of
> KDE on SuSE 8.1, the (Sans) Serif fonts are set as URW-Nimbus.  If you
> try to set fonts in Mozilla, there is ALSO a URW-Nimbus, except that
> it's in lower case.

then it is not a true type font, I'm afraid.

--
But scientists, who ought to know
Assure us that it must be so.
Oh, let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about.
                -- Hilaire Belloc

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by David W. Studema » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:34:13




> FULL QUOTE ERASED!

> http://learn.to/quote

> > Huh? Konquer or more specifically KHTML does not render fonts as
> > correctly, nor scales them as well as ANY Mozilla based browser. The KDE
> > antialiasing is way too loud for my tastes so I do not use it.

> That's not true. Konqueror (qt actually) and some newer inofficial
releases
> of Mozilla both use freetype2 to render the fonts. Thus there is no
> difference at all.

It isn't the Truetype that that makes the difference and Khtml does not
scale and render the fonts the same and this has NOTHING to do with
Freetype2. Yes, QT has used it for some time but that does not have much to
do with this argument. I want Konqueror to be great but as it is, I cannot
use it much of the time. If you think there is no difference at all in font
rendering between Konqueror and a Mozilla based browser, I have some
oceanfront property to sell you in Nevada.

                                                              Dave

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrman » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:46:57



>> > Huh? Konquer or more specifically KHTML does not render fonts as
>> > correctly, nor scales them as well as ANY Mozilla based browser. The
>> > KDE antialiasing is way too loud for my tastes so I do not use it.
>> That's not true. Konqueror (qt actually) and some newer inofficial
> releases
>> of Mozilla both use freetype2 to render the fonts. Thus there is no
>> difference at all.
> It isn't the Truetype that that makes the difference and Khtml does not
> scale and render the fonts the same and this has NOTHING to do with
> Freetype2.

Then you are not talking about the way the fonts are rendered, but rather
about the way the HTML is rendered and the fonts and font sizes are chosen.
Well I, like most people prefer the khtml look.

Quote:> Yes, QT has used it for some time but that does not have much
> to do with this argument. I want Konqueror to be great but as it is, I
> cannot use it much of the time.

Why not? And where not? I admit there are some problems, mostly extremely
crappy javascript, but if you don't say where the problems are, you will
never get them fixed.

Quote:> If you think there is no difference at all
> in font rendering between Konqueror and a Mozilla based browser, I have
> some oceanfront property to sell you in Nevada.

How much would it be?
 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by John » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:19:29



> I have
> some oceanfront property to sell you in Nevada.

LOL. Very good Dave.

John.

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by Tobias Weissert » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:59:44


Hello everybody,

I've been following this discussion a while now.

Fact: the KHTML AA looks great.
Fact: by default Mozilla fonts sucks as do all Netscape fonts. Usually,
Netscape/Mozilla displays fonts too small and crappy. When browsing with
Mozilla it's a constand cntr & +/- to set the fonts to readable size.
Fact: the SuSE support entry sucks too. The line that pointing to FreeType2
doesn't exist in SuSE 8.0

Alan,

if you want to have AA in Mozilla, then change
/opt/mozilla/defaults/pref/unix.js as root:

// below a certian pixel size anti-aliased bitmat scaled fonts
// produce poor results
pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.enable", true);

You have to change false to true
pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.always", true);

pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.min", 6);
pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.undersize", 80);
pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.oversize", 120);
pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.dark_text.min", 64);
pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.dark_text.gain", "0.5");
pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.light_text.min", 64);
pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.light_text.gain", "1.3");

As the original SuSE comment points out, results are poor. I guess you can
try to play with these other settings a bit to gain some quality. It's
better than nothing though.

regards,
Tobias

--
**************************************************
Tobias Weisserth

"I'm proud to be an old European!"
**************************************************

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by Hett » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:01:08



> Fact: by default Mozilla fonts sucks as do all Netscape fonts. Usually,
> Netscape/Mozilla displays fonts too small and crappy.

Dunno.

I just changed global font size in Mozilla 1.2.1:
Edit - Preferences - Appearance - Fonts - Display resolution - Other:
  Line is _7_ cm long.
Nah...
  Line is _6_ cm long.

Bingo.

Could be that this works in earlier versions, as well, but I like the
changed-around tab setup in 1.2.1.

As far as I can see YOU (for 8.1) only hands you Mozilla 1.01 or similar (a
September 02 build) -- but wasn't there a couple problems with versions earlier
than 1.2.1? Anyway, mozilla.org urges an upgrade.

For the lazy, there's SuSE 8.1 RPMs of Mozilla 1.2.1 here:
http://usr-local-bin.org - it's 14 MB or so, pretty much the same size as the
tar.gz's available on mozilla.org. It works nicely, except that galeon complains
that it wants mozilla 1.0.1, so get galeon 1.3.1 (requires Mozilla 1.2.1) from
the same site.

And in case usr-local-bin.org is egoogling: thanks! I hadn't managed to replace
Mozilla's earlier versions with newer ones on my own on suse 8.1, this is very
handy.

(Installing true type in Suse 8.1 using the command line worked, or at least
they all showed up in the KDE control center - appearances - fonts; but it's
been a while, so I don't remember the exact commands. I believe the suse help
center, err, helped.)

Hetta

--
Henriette Kress                                          Helsinki, Finland
Best of Rhod:                http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/rhod/main.html
Henriette's herbal homepage:                http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

 
 
 

Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

Post by alan » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:09:29



> Hello everybody,

> I've been following this discussion a while now.

> Fact: the KHTML AA looks great.
> Fact: by default Mozilla fonts sucks as do all Netscape fonts. Usually,
> Netscape/Mozilla displays fonts too small and crappy. When browsing with
> Mozilla it's a constand cntr & +/- to set the fonts to readable size.
> Fact: the SuSE support entry sucks too. The line that pointing to FreeType2
> doesn't exist in SuSE 8.0

> Alan,

> if you want to have AA in Mozilla, then change
> /opt/mozilla/defaults/pref/unix.js as root:

> // below a certian pixel size anti-aliased bitmat scaled fonts
> // produce poor results
> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.enable", true);

> You have to change false to true
> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.always", true);

> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.min", 6);
> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.undersize", 80);
> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.oversize", 120);
> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.dark_text.min", 64);
> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.dark_text.gain", "0.5");
> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.light_text.min", 64);
> pref("font.scale.aa_bitmap.light_text.gain", "1.3");

> As the original SuSE comment points out, results are poor. I guess you can
> try to play with these other settings a bit to gain some quality. It's
> better than nothing though.

> regards,
> Tobias

Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately my Mozilla still didn't
anti-alias the nimbus fonts.  I might look for other settings to muck
around with, but for now I gave up and installed the MS fonts.  I still
have two problems, though.

1) The (Times New Roman) fonts in Linux Mozilla look wider than the ones
in Windows Mozilla.  I say this because I have a Win Mozilla monitor
next to a Lin Mozilla monitor.  I compared the font files between the
Windows and Linux machines using the Windows font viewer, and they look
the same.  However, the actual files are a little different (not sure
how).  In general, the Linux mozilla just looks worse than my Windows
Mozilla.

2) The fonts in the Mozilla menus still aren't anti-aliased, although
they look good at certain sizes.  (They look bad at certain sizes, when
vertical lines, for example, get aliased up to the next pixel and become
twice as thick as they should.)

But, wow, that KDE font rendering looks nice!  If it weren't for the
tabbed browing and gestures and newsreader and the fact that I use it on
my windows machine, I'd rather be using Konq instead of Mozilla.

 
 
 

1. Xinerama has made my Mozilla fonts go screwy!

For reasons that defeat me right now, switching to use xinerama has made
my Mozilla fonts go really whacky; some sites have 30-point body text,
Google has about 8-point, and some others are apparantly random. It was
all fine before I put xinerama on.

xdpyinfo says:

screen #0:
  dimensions:    2176x864 pixels (322x241 millimeters)
  resolution:    172x91 dots per inch

which I suspect is perhaps the cause of my problem.

I used to have a problem where Opera font's were horizontally stretched
(under X 4.0.3); that seems to have solved itself (under X 4.1.0), but
now Mozilla goes odd. This is kinda annoying, and I don't really know
what to do about it.

I'm using XFree 86 4.1.0 from Branden's repository on Debian testing.
Any suggestions eagerly accepted!

--
                                           -=G=-
Web: http://www.fscked.co.uk                                    ICQ: 66545073
Beware the JabberBuckley, my son! The words that snipe, the lawyers that sue!

2. HELP! 1.2.6 compile time error

3. Upgraded Freetype, now fonts in Mozilla look worse

4. Changing Screen Colors in an App

5. Konqueror Fonts look like crap

6. Linux Display Settings

7. kde 2.1.2: Anti Aliasing Makes Fonts Looked Smudged.

8. XFree86 setup problem

9. Solaris "showrev" command look-a-likes?

10. Look likes iproute2 does not work properly.

11. Mozilla instead of konqueror

12. : CJK: Add Rubies support to Mozilla, Netscape, KDE Konqueror, etc....

13. 128-bit encryption for Konqueror or Mozilla?