konqueror hangs browsing samba shares

Post by Sim » Mon, 26 May 2003 19:46:05

I'm trying to browse using my lap the samba shares on my desktop.

I can mount them ok and can see everything using console, but konqueror
hangs when ever I go near the directories where the shares are mounted.

What could be happening

Sim

1. Can't Browse Samba Shares from XP Home Edition

I have a partially working home LAN. I have 4 computers in the
network.
There is a firewall/gateway PC running Linux (Smoothwall distro), a
file server running Samba 2.2.7 and 2 Windows machines running XP Home
adition. From either XP machine, I can map drives and access shares of
the Samba machine with no problems. Commands that use \\server\share
work fine.

I can't browse any machine on the network however. When I click on the
workgroup
name from My Network Places, I get "The network name cannot be found".

Attached is the smb.conf file. Any suggestions on what to try would be
greatly appreciated.

I have read many emails and read many articls but still cannot
get the browsing function to work from the XP machines.

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
 interfaces = eth0
 writeable = yes
 allow hosts = 192.168.0. 127.
 dns proxy = no
 security = user
 encrypt passwords = yes
 server string = CC
 workgroup = Watlan
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 netbios name = fserver
 bind interfaces only = no
 load printers = yes
 guest account =
 wide links = no
 os level = 20
 username map = /etc/samba/user.map
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 max log size = 50

[shared]
 path = /home/shared
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 comment = Shared Folder
 create mode = 700
 directory mode = 700
 printable = no

[Backups]
 path = /backup
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 dont descend = /backup/lost+found

[homes]
 browseable = no
 create mode = 700
 directory mode = 700

2. Speedway ISDN TA

3. NT can't browse samba shares but Win98

4. Help: etho0: DMAing conflict ne_block....

5. Can't Browse Samba Shares

6. bios test program

7. browsing hosts and shares with Samba - problems

8. C++ templates and Solaris 2.4

9. browsing a samba share in security=user

10. Browsing NT shares with samba

11. Slow browsing with NT 4.0 on Samba-share after upgrade to sp6

12. Tabbed browsing in Konqueror

13. Slow Konqueror file browsing after update HELP