"Windows" menu in MacOS style menubar using KDE 2.1

"Windows" menu in MacOS style menubar using KDE 2.1

Post by David L. Parta » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:16:49

Greetings,

Since installing 2.1 (I compiled it myself), the "Windows" menu
item in the MacOS style menubar (Control Center->Look & Feel
-> Style) is always empty.  If I select it, all I get is a tiny
tiny little widget - about the width of the W in "Windows" and
about 2 pixels high - and that's it.  This remains true in the
CVS that I compiled late last week.  Anyone know what's going on
or is this simply a bug?

It worked fine in 2.0.1

Cheers,

David
--
David Partain

Post by akar 'th 'orribl » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:57:32

> Greetings,

> Since installing 2.1 (I compiled it myself), the "Windows" menu
> item in the MacOS style menubar (Control Center->Look & Feel
> -> Style) is always empty.  If I select it, all I get is a tiny
> tiny little widget - about the width of the W in "Windows" and
> about 2 pixels high - and that's it.  This remains true in the
> CVS that I compiled late last week.  Anyone know what's going on
> or is this simply a bug?

> It worked fine in 2.0.1

> Cheers,

> David

I have never seen it working. The Mac style menu replaces the selected apps
menu bar and the app no longer has a menu bar. This is correct. When there
are no apps selected The Mac menu shows a generic menu with bookmarks etc.
One of the items is "Windows" and it is this David is asking about.
    I presume this is meant to show and select minimised windows but
currently doesn't. The tiny widget mentioned is how kde displays a menu
when there are no entries.
This feature no doubt broke in the changes to the task bar between 2.1 and
2.1. You might try with the external task bar to see if this works. Check
the kde bugs list and if its not reported then do so. But please dont
report it unless it is not there To many people in this group think bug
reports are to report there own systems bugs due to bad setup instead of
bugs in kde that apply to everyone with similiar setup.
Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andreas Parsc » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:10:07

> Greetings,

> Since installing 2.1 (I compiled it myself), the "Windows" menu
> item in the MacOS style menubar (Control Center->Look & Feel
> -> Style) is always empty.  If I select it, all I get is a tiny
> tiny little widget - about the width of the W in "Windows" and
> about 2 pixels high - and that's it.  This remains true in the
> CVS that I compiled late last week.  Anyone know what's going on
> or is this simply a bug?

> It worked fine in 2.0.1

> Cheers,

> David

Hello David,

on my system (Suse 7.1, updated with KDE 2.1 rpm's) I have the following
behaviour:

- After KDE start, the "windows" menu is empty, exactly as you describe it
- However, when I click the middle mouse button _on the desktop_, the
"windows" menu comes up fine, with all entries as expected (the meaning of
the middle mouse button is configurable, so YMMV).
- And now, surprise :-): After popping up the "windows" menu on the desktop,
the menu _also_ works when selected in the menubar - and not just once, but
for the rest of the session!

While this is definitely a bug introduced in 2.1 (2.0.1 worked flawlessly in
this respect), the workaround in my cse is really simple :-)

Best wishes

Andreas

1. how to: "Windows" key -> KDE's "K" menu..

Anybody have any ideas on how to do this?  I've either read or head about
it before but I can't think of it right now.... And unfortunally, KDE's Key
Bindings program doesn't include the "Windows"  key.....

Any ideas, anyone?

While on the topic:  does anybody sell any replacement "K" keys?!?
I'd replace my Winblows keys in a heartbeat!

thanks,

Lowell C. Alleman

2. problem running startx

4. After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds.

5. "windows" Key and the KDE Menu

6. should I give nforce2 a miss for linux?

8. Debian - dsl / routing / aliasing / masquerading / firewalling

9. 1.1 "Mac style" Menu question

10. Using "if" in "ksh" to change "for loop" values....

11. Was -- ("compiling kde2.2.1 == nightmare, redhat and kde updating == nightmare")

12. adding a windows style bookmarks to the "K" menu

13. menu cleanup: "Networking support" -> "Networking options"