KCharset: Wrong charset! repost

Post by Anthony Watter » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:38:55

It seems like my earlier post somehow may have been deleted

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Here's the scenario

I have finally just finished compiling KDE  3.1.2 /NetBSD /Sparc using
pkgsrc. (clean install from scratch)

Currently I have KDE up and running, however.. every time I open the KDE
control center, (or launch any other application for that matter) I get the
following error:

KCharset: Wrong Charset!

The messages scroll the whole screen with what looks to be errors coming
from the NetBSD command line?

This makes it difficult to navigate the KDE desktop and pretty much forces
me to have to "refresh desktop" every time an application is launched.

I have searched around the news groups and only find references to posts
that are several years old that refer to older versions of KDE (i.e. 1.x
etc..) and other operating systems.

Any new info on how to stop this error on current stable release of KDE 3.x
running on NetBSD 1.6.1?

As always, your help is appreciated!

1. What is this: KCharset: Wrong charset! (etc.)

My Suse 6.2 trots along quite nicely,
except the fact that when I have, after
booting Linux up, entered and exited KDE via
startx, the console displays this error message,
several times:

"KCharset: Wrong charset! "

As if trying to explain it's inner
feelings to me it also says:

kwm: X_Configuration(0x28000a7) Bad Match
invalid parameter

Waiting for X server to shut down.

Furthermore it complains about something
about some pictures and removing 'GimmickMode',
whatever that is.

I have searchedthrough the very thorough Suse
Manual and 3-4 other Linux reference books, but
not one has KCharset in the index.

What parameters should I fix where and how?
I seem to be unable to find any man page
or other information about this stuff.

About character sets:the languages I use with
my linux are Finnish and UK English. The Finnish
characters are o.k. in KDE-programs like the
terminal emulator, but in the console the Finnish
diacritical characters show as {:s etc.

maek

2. IPV6 installing in linux

3. KCharset: Wrong charset!

4. Global Alert For All: Jesus is Coming Soon

5. Announcement: (local) 3/20 Santa Clara Linux users meeting

6. KCharset: Wrong Charset!....?!

7. 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: jbd commit interval tuning

8. Kproblem : "KCharset : Wrong charset!"

9. KCharset: Wrong charset!

10. Kcharset: wrong charset ?

11. KCharset: Wrong charset!

12. KDE-1.1.1 BUG: KCharset: Wrong charset