KDE-panel from windowmaker

Post by controlle » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:40:53

for the sake of speed, I've decided to run the KDE-panel from inside the
windowmaker-wm.
is that possible? what would be the most elegant way to do this? which
KDE-packages would I have to install in order to do this?
when maximizing a window, will the K-panel still be visible or will there be
an overlap? I know that the overlap-problem exists when using windowmaker
with the gnome panel.

thanx in advance

KDE-panel from windowmaker

Post by Jelmer Feenstr » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:48:43

> for the sake of speed, I've decided to run the KDE-panel from inside the
> windowmaker-wm.
> is that possible? what would be the most elegant way to do this? which
> KDE-packages would I have to install in order to do this?
> when maximizing a window, will the K-panel still be visible or will there
> be an overlap? I know that the overlap-problem exists when using
> windowmaker with the gnome panel.

Well, I wanted to do this as well, but it didn't work out for me. You can
just bring up the windowproperties for the panel in windowmaker and set
always on top and omnipresent on. This way it always keeps visible and it
won't be maximized over. However, as windowmaker is the windowmanager now,
I couldn't get it to dock for example the licq icon in the panel. Neither I
think it's possible to have the open windows listed in the panel (as
they're managed by windowmaker and represented by icons now). So,
bottomline : If someone knows how to use a different windowmanager with kde
(especially the panel) let us know ! :)

Jelmer Feenstra

1. KDE and Windowmaker (Panel, Taskbar)

Hi!

I recently installed Windowmaker and am using it now in exchange for
kwm. So far it really works fine, but there are a few questions left.

When I use the taskbar, it mostly doesn't recognize if a window is
closed or opened. I need to restart the panel to get the opened
windows right. The problem is that when I resart the panel, the docked
icons in the panel (teatime, kbiff an knotes in my case) disappear.
This is a little bit annoying. I know that the Windowmaker KDE FAQ talks
about restarting the kpanel, but isn't there any other workaround?

The second thing is the logout button in kpanel. If I press this
button, Windowmaker (and my session) exits immediately without any
dialog window that asks if I really want to exit (as it comes when I
exit via the Windowmaker exit menu). Is it possible to change this
behaviour so that there will also be the exit dialog window when I
press kpanel's exit button?

Oh, finally my configuration:

Latest version of Windowmaker (of course configured with KDE support,
compiled a few days ago), KDE 1.1.2, SuSE 6.2.

I start KDE and Windowmaker in ~/.xinitrc with

kfm -d
kcontrol --init
kpanel
exec wmaker

Thanks in advance,

Ingo

--

University of Dortmund,             http://frommholz.home.pages.de/
Germany                             "Hindsight is an exact science"

2. How can I set X-Free work in 16-bit color?

3. KDE 2.1 panel crashes when child panel activated (after using font anti-alias)

4. RedHat 7 NFS installation problems

5. Dock and panel like Windowmaker

6. Redirecting Output

7. kde and windowmaker

8. Need help on Xconfig for compaq AVGA card...

9. kde and windowmaker...please help

10. KDE + WindowMaker = slow

11. KDE, AfterStep, WindowMaker?

12. Koffice/KDE on AfterStep/WindowMaker

13. Using KDE application in WindowMaker?