Help about Rapid GUI-based Application development

Help about Rapid GUI-based Application development

Post by Lian » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:30:43

Hi,

I want to develop a rapid GUI-based application development environment just
as VC, VB or Delphi does. But I don't know how to start my first step.

I have programming experience in Visual C, VB,  and Borland's Delphi
environment. All of these IDEs are so powerful that they divide GUI
developing from Biz logic to ease user's work. For example, in VC, you can
simply put controls in a dialogue box in resource editor, and VC compiles
the resource file into binary data. During execution, the executable will
load the binary resource and take care of the construction and destruction
of the dialogue box. It's really amazing and magic.

So, how's they do this? Is there any reference for the mechanism? and is
there any similar project free on net?

Thanks in advance,
Liang

Help about Rapid GUI-based Application development

Post by Scot T Brenneck » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:24:07

Liang,
        Perhaps what you want to find is the complete reference for the RC
"script" syntax?  The resource editors simply generate the textual .RC
files, which can then be compiled (with the RC.Exe) into binary .Res
files which are linked as resource modules into the executable.
        You will find the reference for the RC script syntax in the MSDN
library.  If you have trouble finding it in your version of the library
or the on-line version, we can give you more help.

Quote:> I want to develop a rapid GUI-based application development environment just

Post by John » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 07:03:56

>Hi,

>I want to develop a rapid GUI-based application development environment just
>as VC, VB or Delphi does. But I don't know how to start my first step.

>I have programming experience in Visual C, VB,  and Borland's Delphi
>environment. All of these IDEs are so powerful that they divide GUI
>developing from Biz logic to ease user's work. For example, in VC, you can
>simply put controls in a dialogue box in resource editor, and VC compiles
>the resource file into binary data. During execution, the executable will
>load the binary resource and take care of the construction and destruction
>of the dialogue box. It's really amazing and magic.

>So, how's they do this? Is there any reference for the mechanism? and is
>there any similar project free on net?

>Thanks in advance,
>Liang

You need to step back to basics. The IDE(s) were built so to automate
work, in compiling, link, assembling, code re-use(software), helping
tools like code generators (etc...) Please research command line
editor, compiler, linker, assembler, manual maintenance of makefile
 etc. You will  discover why IDE *wraps* all of  those *mostly* so
to *speed development* and concentrate on writing source code.
Additionally, research into API's with concentration to write them
AKA interfaces, add them or others you may use that are pre-made
to your project. Finally about Graphical User Interfaces. GUI code
world and middle layer(s) be my concentration. hope this helps. John.

Help about Rapid GUI-based Application development

Post by Andreas Vol » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:50:44

Am Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:30:43 +0800

Quote:> Hi,

> I want to develop a rapid GUI-based application development
> environment just as VC, VB or Delphi does. But I don't know how to
> start my first step.

> I have programming experience in Visual C, VB,  and Borland's Delphi
> environment. All of these IDEs are so powerful that they divide GUI
> developing from Biz logic to ease user's work. For example, in VC, you
> can simply put controls in a dialogue box in resource editor, and VC
> compiles the resource file into binary data. During execution, the
> executable will load the binary resource and take care of the
> construction and destruction of the dialogue box. It's really amazing
> and magic.

> So, how's they do this? Is there any reference for the mechanism? and
> is there any similar project free on net?

Perhaps gtk2 + glade + libglade could be something for you. You could
construct a gtk2-GUI with glade. Painting widgets "like" in VB ;-)

With libglade you could parse a XML-File that descripes the GUI-Elements
and display the GUI. For more information go to http://www.gtk.org and
ask again on their mailing list.

regards
Andreas

Help about Rapid GUI-based Application development

Post by Luke Sande » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:09:48

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious, but Trolltech Qt
(www.trolltech.com) includes Qt Designer, a rapid GUI-based
development program. Qt runs on X11, and OS X, and Windows and is the
basis of KDE. The source code for X11 is publically available, so
perhaps that would be a help to you :-)