KDE3 De-uglification

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:13:33

I wanted to see what KDE3-rc3 was like, and I'm having some trouble with
the way it looks.

1: Midnight Commander looks awful using any font-size smaller than
"large", does anybody know how to get around this?

2: In the "Header view" of both KMail and KNode every second message/
thread is covered with a broad dark-gray stripe and i cant read the
text.

Same problem appear in Konqueror-filemanager using the tree-view, heres
every second filename(etc.) unreadable because of the stripe.

Is it possible to get rid of these stripes?

I'm going back to 2.2.2, i cant live without a newsreader, mailclient
and filemanager.
--
Thomas O.

KDE3 De-uglification

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:47:25

> I wanted to see what KDE3-rc3 was like, and I'm having some trouble with
> the way it looks.

> 1: Midnight Commander looks awful using any font-size smaller than
> "large", does anybody know how to get around this?

Isn't this just the same AA problem with Konsole that occurred in 2.x?
The cure is either to use Custom Fonts or not use AA with Konsole.

Quote:

> 2: In the "Header view" of both KMail and KNode every second message/
> thread is covered with a broad dark-gray stripe and i cant read the
> text.

> Same problem appear in Konqueror-filemanager using the tree-view, heres
> every second filename(etc.) unreadable because of the stripe.

> Is it possible to get rid of these stripes?

Can't you go to Look & Feel => Colors in the Control Center?  You
probably can't remove the stripes, but if you make them the same color,
you won't see them.

Quote:> I'm going back to 2.2.2, i cant live without a newsreader, mailclient
> and filemanager.

This isn't Windows these applications are not integrated.  If you like
the 2.x apps better, then use them.

--
JRT

KDE3 De-uglification

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:41:16

> Isn't this just the same AA problem with Konsole that occurred in 2.x?
> The cure is either to use Custom Fonts or not use AA with Konsole.

Nope, I tried everything but mc is still messed up unless i use the
large fontsize.

Quote:> Can't you go to Look & Feel => Colors in the Control Center?  You
> probably can't remove the stripes, but if you make them the same
> color, you won't see them.

Finally i found the sinner, its named "Alternate background in lists".
Goodbye to those pesky stripes.
Quote:

> This isn't Windows these applications are not integrated.  If you like
> the 2.x apps better, then use them.

KDE2 is still present on my disk so its easier for me just to change
$KDEDIR and $QTDIR and then switch from KDE3 to KDE2
--
Thomas O.

KDE3 De-uglification

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 04:12:51

> > Isn't this just the same AA problem with Konsole that occurred in 2.x?
> > The cure is either to use Custom Fonts or not use AA with Konsole.

> Nope, I tried everything but mc is still messed up unless i use the
> large fontsize.

I haven' t quite gotten KDE3 running yet.  I upgraded autoconf and this
caused problems building it.  It is compiling now and hasn't bombed yet.

In Konsole on KDE2, the relative font sizes are only for (at least they
don't work correctly with AA) Non-AA fonts.  Do you have the choice of
"Custom" on the menu under fonts? There you should be able to chose the
font for AA and set the font size.

If this is different after I get it running, I'll get back to this.

--
JRT

KDE3 De-uglification

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 04:13:26

> > Isn't this just the same AA problem with Konsole that occurred in 2.x?
> > The cure is either to use Custom Fonts or not use AA with Konsole.

> Nope, I tried everything but mc is still messed up unless i use the
> large fontsize.

I haven' t quite gotten KDE3 running yet.  I upgraded autoconf and this
caused problems building it.  It is compiling now and hasn't bombed yet.

In Konsole on KDE2, the relative font sizes are only for (at least they
don't work correctly with AA) Non-AA fonts.  Do you have the choice of
"Custom" on the menu under fonts? There you should be able to chose the
font for AA and set the font size.

If this is different after I get it running, I'll get back to this.

--
JRT

KDE3 De-uglification

Post by Ron Gibs » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 22:31:52

Quote:> I haven' t quite gotten KDE3 running yet.  I upgraded autoconf and this
> caused problems building it.  It is compiling now and hasn't bombed yet.
> In Konsole on KDE2, the relative font sizes are only for (at least they
> don't work correctly with AA) Non-AA fonts.  Do you have the choice of
> "Custom" on the menu under fonts? There you should be able to chose the
> font for AA and set the font size.

Anyone know about any improvement for True Type fonts.

I don't understand why freetype has been out a while but you have to
resort to add on's to use MS's fonts for web browsing in particular.

I'm also not sure if this is a XFree issue or a window manager issue.

PS: I'm talking about the ugly Netscape Font Problem...

See...

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/x-config.html#AEN122

--

Home Page - http://rsgibson.com