installing small programs

Post by Daniel & Rachel Bomst » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 12:40:53

I have been trying to install some small programs and I get this error.

configure: error: your system is not able to compile a small KDE
application!
Check, if you installed the KDE header files correctly.

How do I fix this?

installing small programs

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:16:52

Quote:> I have been trying to install some small programs and I get this
> error.

> configure: error: your system is not able to compile a small KDE
> application!
> Check, if you installed the KDE header files correctly.

This error useally comes from KDE1 programs who need a Qt-1.4* version.
If you do have Qt 1.4* installed then try compile using this option:

./configure --with-qt-dir=/path/to/qt-1.4*
--
Thomas O.

installing small programs

Post by Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsso » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:41:38

The problem is not because the application is small. If it's able to
compile a *big* KDE application, it can compile a *small* one. This phrase
tends to confuse some people.

You're probably having trouble compiling KDE applications because you don't
have the KDE headers installed. It's hard to say because you don't say
anything about what kind of system you're using. Please tell us more about
what you're using.

Furthermore, using KDE 1.X applications can be a * if you only have KDE
2.X installed. I have this problem myself when I try to compile packages
that need KDE 1.X and don't setlle for 2.X. This problem can be fixed when
it comes to the conflict between Qt 1.X and Qt 2.X, but I don't know about
the KDE headers. When I come across a KDE app that simply requires KDE 1.X,
I usually just nevermind it wait for another version which I hope is
2.X-compatible.

In general, when you need help with this kind of things, you get much
quicker and better results when you tell people as much as you can about
what you are trying to use. Which application are you trying to install?
Which version(s) of KDE do you have installed? I find it likely you're
using Linux, and in which case, which distribution are you using? Which
version of that distribution?

Peace.

Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson

Quote:> I have been trying to install some small programs and I get this error.

> configure: error: your system is not able to compile a small KDE
> application!
> Check, if you installed the KDE header files correctly.

> How do I fix this?

installing small programs

Post by Daniel R. Bomst » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:04:44

> The problem is not because the application is small. If it's able to
> compile a *big* KDE application, it can compile a *small* one. This phrase
> tends to confuse some people.

> You're probably having trouble compiling KDE applications because you
> don't have the KDE headers installed. It's hard to say because you don't
> say anything about what kind of system you're using. Please tell us more
> about what you're using.

> Furthermore, using KDE 1.X applications can be a * if you only have
> KDE 2.X installed. I have this problem myself when I try to compile
> packages that need KDE 1.X and don't setlle for 2.X. This problem can be
> fixed when it comes to the conflict between Qt 1.X and Qt 2.X, but I don't
> know about the KDE headers. When I come across a KDE app that simply
> requires KDE 1.X, I usually just nevermind it wait for another version
> which I hope is 2.X-compatible.

> In general, when you need help with this kind of things, you get much
> quicker and better results when you tell people as much as you can about
> what you are trying to use. Which application are you trying to install?
> Which version(s) of KDE do you have installed? I find it likely you're
> using Linux, and in which case, which distribution are you using? Which
> version of that distribution?

> Peace.

> Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson

> > I have been trying to install some small programs and I get this error.

> > configure: error: your system is not able to compile a small KDE
> > application!

> > Check, if you installed the KDE header files correctly.

> > How do I fix this?

Well I am running Slackware 7.0, kernel 2.2.14, KDE 2.0pre.  I am trying to
install Kmamerun.

installing small programs

Post by Daniel R. Bomst » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:08:37

> > I have been trying to install some small programs and I get this
> > error.

> > configure: error: your system is not able to compile a small KDE
> > application!
> > Check, if you installed the KDE header files correctly.

> This error useally comes from KDE1 programs who need a Qt-1.4* version.
> If you do have Qt 1.4* installed then try compile using this option:

> ./configure --with-qt-dir=/path/to/qt-1.4*

No luck with that, but thanks anyway Thomas I do appreciate you responding.
 During configure it checks QT and everything is ok with that.

installing small programs

Post by Mark Shelb » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:47:40

> > The problem is not because the application is small. If it's able to
> > compile a *big* KDE application, it can compile a *small* one. This
> > phrase tends to confuse some people.

> > You're probably having trouble compiling KDE applications because you
> > don't have the KDE headers installed. It's hard to say because you don't
> > say anything about what kind of system you're using. Please tell us more
> > about what you're using.

> > Furthermore, using KDE 1.X applications can be a * if you only have
> > KDE 2.X installed. I have this problem myself when I try to compile
> > packages that need KDE 1.X and don't setlle for 2.X. This problem can be
> > fixed when it comes to the conflict between Qt 1.X and Qt 2.X, but I
> > don't know about the KDE headers. When I come across a KDE app that
> > simply requires KDE 1.X, I usually just nevermind it wait for another
> > version which I hope is 2.X-compatible.

> > In general, when you need help with this kind of things, you get much
> > quicker and better results when you tell people as much as you can about
> > what you are trying to use. Which application are you trying to install?
> > Which version(s) of KDE do you have installed? I find it likely you're
> > using Linux, and in which case, which distribution are you using? Which
> > version of that distribution?

> > Peace.

> > Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson

> > > I have been trying to install some small programs and I get this
> > > error.

> > > configure: error: your system is not able to compile a small KDE
> > > application!

> > > Check, if you installed the KDE header files correctly.

> > > How do I fix this?

> Well I am running Slackware 7.0, kernel 2.2.14, KDE 2.0pre.  I am trying
> to install Kmamerun.

Well, Thank you, Thank you! I kept getting this error and thought I was
going insane. Glad to know it wasn't me. The error message is confusing
because it says you are apparently missing a kde part or something to that
effect. I would be interested to learn if Daniel HAS the Qt-1.4 version
installed as well as the more recent ones. It was pointed out to me in this
newsgroup that Qt is NOT backwards compatible.

-mark

installing small programs

Post by bomber6 » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:01:07

Quote:> Well, Thank you, Thank you! I kept getting this error and thought I was
> going insane. Glad to know it wasn't me. The error message is confusing
> because it says you are apparently missing a kde part or something to that
> effect. I would be interested to learn if Daniel HAS the Qt-1.4 version
> installed as well as the more recent ones. It was pointed out to me in
this
> newsgroup that Qt is NOT backwards compatible.

> -mark

Yes I haveQt-1.4 installed and Qt-2.2 installed.  I have pointed configure
to Qt-1.4.  So did you get your stuff to install Mark?

installing small programs

Post by bomber6 » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:08:43

Sorry, bomber6a is my name on my Windows machine which I now have to use
 having problems with modem on Linux )

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrman » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:08:25

> Well I am running Slackware 7.0, kernel 2.2.14, KDE 2.0pre.  I am trying
> to install Kmamerun.

Check out qmamecat, it is also a nice shell for xmame and runs fine with
QT-2.1.x or higher. Forget KDE-1.x, it is obsolete.
It can be found here:
http://www.bingo-ev.de/~rh474/mamecat/

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann ICQ #3585990

installing small programs

Post by Mark Shelb » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:58:21

> Sorry, bomber6a is my name on my Windows machine which I now have to use
>  having problems with modem on Linux )

>> > Well, Thank you, Thank you! I kept getting this error and thought I was
>> > going insane. Glad to know it wasn't me. The error message is confusing
>> > because it says you are apparently missing a kde part or something to
> that
>> > effect. I would be interested to learn if Daniel HAS the Qt-1.4 version
>> > installed as well as the more recent ones. It was pointed out to me in
>> this
>> > newsgroup that Qt is NOT backwards compatible.

>> > -mark

>> Yes I haveQt-1.4 installed and Qt-2.2 installed.  I have pointed
>> configure
>> to Qt-1.4.  So did you get your stuff to install Mark?

havn't had a chance to try yet.... hoping to tonight. I'll let you know.
Thanks for all the help