Please, HELP ME with this f...(pardon) FONTS!!!!!!!!

Please, HELP ME with this f...(pardon) FONTS!!!!!!!!

Post by Marco » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:25:57

Once again: Help me, Very Good People!!!
Already for over 1 week now,
 I have been very hard trying
 to do something sensible with my crazy fonts.
Unfortunately, any of numerous remedies for
  font problems (most AA) read from this NewsGroup,
  during that time, gained no avail.
Please, let me tell You again, what it is about...

So, my font sizes measure in different scale.
For instance, when I try to set size of some system fonts,
  let say in ControlCenter->Look&Feel->Fonts,
  the default sizes of, e.g., Helvetica, are, e.g., 170 or so.
The problem is, the highest size in the scroll list is about 64
  (suggesting to choose about 12).
Thus, I choose 12 and, in the preview text, the default fixed-wide
   (and fixed size alike) font occurs
   (perhaps something that looks like lucida, etc)
So I keep trying to gradually icrease the size
   and the text in the preview stays untouched
   UNTIL... certain value, e.g., 18,
    depending wich sort of font has been selected.
Over that limit, the correct sort of font occurs but
   of immensely small appearence in the preview
   (e.g. as big as 2 pixels).
When increasing selected size further, the microscopic text in preview grows
  and reach zoom allowing actually to read the sentence with magnifying
   glass -- when it comes to upper scroll limit: 64.

Of course, I checked it out whether the effect in the preview turned
  into KDE's reality after applying the changes:
  it did, unfortunatelly!!!

In sum, the units of font sizes in various scroll lists are different than
real.
Font size scales seem to be multiplied by 10 or so.

    Also some of other effects makes nuisance.
    Please, let me cite one of my  previous call for help.

System text formatted as big letters (e.g. login welcome message) appears
now to be enormous tiny -- as big as 2 pixels high.
When trying ControlCenter->LookNFeel->Fonts to change the size of fonts,
 so that they can be normally visible,
 the chosen numbers must be so big as out of the scroll list,
 for instance helvetica 172.
 When selecting size of 12 then other default,
unrelevant fixed font results.
It seems that size units are rescaled 10x.

Besides, menu text is spoiled with an ugly shortcut letter underline
 -- now the underline is so thick it actually is a bar and could not be
nastier!!!

I have mdk 7.2 on Pentium II 350MHz, 128MB RAM.
I upgraded KDE 2 twice: 1st to 2.1, 2nd to 2.1.1,
 both times from 585.rpm-s.
Last upgrade was together with new XFree86 (4.0.3..) and new Qt..,
 using 586.rpm-s too,  as provided for "stable" distro 26 march.
During installation, the lack of one or two *.so files was reported,
 so I downloaded "freetype 2" from findrpm.net
 and installed --not Ugraded, as older version was needed too -- to satisfy
 rpm dependencies.
On the beginning everything went fine.
Later I installed QTrans and tried to change its font size.
After reboot all fonts in KDE on all accounts went mad!

After this I tried many remedies:
 -copying MS ttf-s to .../fonts/truetype directory
and setting its "font.dir" and "encoding"
 -switching Load modules: Type1, freetype, speedo
 -switching xfs on and off
 -various paths in XF86Config-4
 -various paths in 'catalogue' in /etc/X11/fs/config
 -reinstall from SRPM: kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase and... compilation in
 the latter quited due to the lack of some * #include header.

   I also did this, according to one advice:
   ---------------------------------------

>> HELP Me, Good People!!!

> This is pretty much unfathomable... but if you installed the latest QT and
> XFree 4.0.3 then you will not be setting AA fonts in /etc/X11/fs/config
> :-O You need to address your fonts in XftConfig. You will find it in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig What I did was move it to etc/X11/fs so I
> wold not forget and link to the old location.

How "to address fonts in XftConfig"???
My present file looks like this:

#$XFree86: xc/lib/Xft/XftConfig.cpp,v 1.5 2000/12/14 23:03:53 keithp Exp $

dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
#dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype"

#alias 'fixed' for 'mono'

match any family == "fixed"             edit family =+ "mono";

#Check users config file

includeif       "~/.xftconfig"

#Use Lucidux fonts for default faces

match any family == "serif"             edit family += "LuciduxSerif";
match any family == "sans"              edit family += "LuciduxSans";
match any family == "mono"              edit family += "LuciduxMono";

#Alias between XLFD families and font file family name, prefer local
#fonts

match any family == "charter"           edit family += "bitstream charter";
match any family == "bitstream charter" edit family =+ "charter";

match any family == "Lucidux Serif"     edit family += "LuciduxSerif";
match any family == "LuciduxSerif"      edit family =+ "Lucidux Serif";

match any family == "Lucidux Sans"      edit family += "LuciduxSans";
match any family == "LuciduxSans"       edit family =+ "Lucidux Sans";

match any family == "Lucidux Mono"      edit family += "LuciduxMono";
match any family == "LuciduxMono"       edit family =+ "Lucidux Mono";

   Thank You very much, in advance!!!
   Marek

Please, HELP ME with this f...(pardon) FONTS!!!!!!!!

Post by mysel » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:30:12

<huge snip>

Lm 7.2, X4.0.3, Kde2.1.1; from my XF86Config-4:

Section "Files"

    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

        # FontPath   "unix/:-1"
        FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
        FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        # /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
         FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
         FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mdk"
        # FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/win-tt"
        # FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/pcf_drakfont:unscaled"
        FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mozilla-fonts:unscaled"
        # FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic:unscaled"
        # /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi:unscaled"
        # FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi:unscaled"
        # FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western"
        # FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
EndSection

<snip>

Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

    Load        "dbe"

    Load        "glx"
    Load        "dri"

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.

    SubSection  "extmod"
        #Option "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules

    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode        0666
EndSection

I have Voodoo3, so not sure if all this applies, but AFAIK you need Load "type1"
and "freetype". Also I'm playing with my fonts, thus some of the #'ing, but you
put type1 and TT fonts in your XftConfig file (drakfont is where I put my Win TT
fonts, adjust for what you have) eg:

# XftConfig
#
# Use with Type1 and TrueType fonts
#

# Note that each application scans all these directories
# during startup, so you may want to disable some to
# get better speed.

# Standard XFree86 Type 1 fonts
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
# Default location for Microsoft Web Fonts
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont"
# dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype"
# dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/win-tt"
# URW fonts
dir "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
# Localized Truetype fonts
# dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/armenian"
# dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/big5"
# dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives"
# dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/gb2312"
# dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/japanese"
# dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/korean"
# dir "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western"
# Sun JDK fonts
# dir "/usr/java/jdk1.3/jre/lib/fonts"
# Sun OpenOffice, location depends on install
# dir "/usr/openoffice60/share/fonts/type1"
# dir "/usr/local/openoffice60/share/fonts/type1"
# dir "~/openoffice60/share/fonts/type1"
# OpenOffice fonts from ttfonts*rpm
# dir "/usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType"
# AbiSuite comes with URW fonts as well
dir "/usr/share/abisuite/AbiSuite/fonts"
# User installed fonts
# dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
# dir  "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mdk"

#
# alias 'fixed' for 'mono'
#
match any family == "fixed"           edit family =+ "monotype.com";

the rest of what you posted IMOLS as mine for this section: might mention
I've had a hard time getting fixed-width to work, I think I finally did, but that's
for another thread. Finally, turn off xfs as startup service, reboot, check box in
control center | looknfeel |style for a-a, restart X. Sorry I can't offer anything
more, but you've tried so many different approaches, I'm confused as to the
present state of your system- did you ever get the srpms reinstall to work? did
you reinstall the stable rpms? If you use this approach, the /etc/X11/fs/config is
no longer used, font paths are defined in XF86Config-4 and XftConfig (both of
which are in /etc/X11 using LM rpms, but are probably soft-linked as well). I'm
assuming you got no errors on QT or X upgrades as you mentioned none. BTW,
the XftConfig file installed by LM rpm is the one you should edit to fit your
system- just be sure your Type1 and TT fonts are listed here, and _not_ listed
 in XF86Config-4 file (or # them out). I've been told to put a space between the #
and the rest of the line, not sure it matters, but doesn't hurt :-) .. xfs is redundant
if all your fonts are local and/or you're not serving fonts over a network.

tests in a terminal: "xdpyinfo" should show "RENDER" somewhere in output,
"ldd /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1.0" should show link to freetype, "ldd /usr/lib/libqt.so"
should show link to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1; if all this is OK, a-a should work,
(assuming you get your font-paths straightened out!)

Post by akar 'th 'orribl » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:48:51

> Once again: Help me, Very Good People!!!
> Already for over 1 week now,
>  I have been very hard trying
>  to do something sensible with my crazy fonts.
> Unfortunately, any of numerous remedies for
>   font problems (most AA) read from this NewsGroup,
>   during that time, gained no avail.
> Please, let me tell You again, what it is about...

> So, my font sizes measure in different scale.
> For instance, when I try to set size of some system fonts,
>   let say in ControlCenter->Look&Feel->Fonts,
>   the default sizes of, e.g., Helvetica, are, e.g., 170 or so.
> The problem is, the highest size in the scroll list is about 64
>   (suggesting to choose about 12).
> Thus, I choose 12 and, in the preview text, the default fixed-wide
>    (and fixed size alike) font occurs
>    (perhaps something that looks like lucida, etc)
> So I keep trying to gradually icrease the size
>    and the text in the preview stays untouched
>    UNTIL... certain value, e.g., 18,
>     depending wich sort of font has been selected.
> Over that limit, the correct sort of font occurs but
>    of immensely small appearence in the preview
>    (e.g. as big as 2 pixels).
> When increasing selected size further, the microscopic text in preview
> grows
>   and reach zoom allowing actually to read the sentence with magnifying
>    glass -- when it comes to upper scroll limit: 64.

SNIP

Your Post doesnt make much sense and is hard to follow but what you talk
about changing sizes and the preview staying the same until it jumps up at
say 18pt or something is normal if the font selected is a bitmap as
distinct from a true type or Type 1 font. This is all determined by your
XF86Config or XFS config files for non AA fonts. It only has the fonts in
the point sizes you have installed. I dont think that the kde preview shows
scaled bitmap fonts but that may be because I have scaled bitmaps disabled
in X. Kde preview may not show them but those chunky pixelated fonts in
your applications are scaled bitmaps where you have selected say 24pt blah
font and you only have blah available in 10 and 12 pt so it uses the 12 pt
and just doubles it. That is why people avoid ugly bitmap scaled fonts.

You say your default font size is 170 or so? Are you aware that is 2.5
inches (about 6.5cm) tall? There are 72pts to an inch.

I would turn all AA off and set up my normal fonts properly first in either
your XFS config file or XF86Config (See fonts howto) and then worry about
getting AA working.

Andrew

--
Andrew

Remove NOSPAM to email

Please, HELP ME with this f...(pardon) FONTS!!!!!!!!

Post by mbi » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 05:26:12

Quote:> the rest of what you posted IMOLS as mine for this section: might mention
> I've had a hard time getting fixed-width to work, I think I finally did,
but that's
> for another thread.

Oh please, share your fixed-width solution with the rest of us..!!!! Pretty,
pretty please..:-)

1. Please pardon the faux paus!

I posted a "career opportunity" notice to this newsgroup.  Please
pardon the faux paus if this is inappropriate at your sight.  Do you
have any suggestions about appropriate placement for this type of
"help wanted" information?  Thanks for helping us to demonstrate the
proper n-etiquette.

2. unable to open /dev/audio?

4. I/O communication.

5. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

6. Configuring Modem in Redhat Linux 7.3, using KPPP

7. NFS please help me please please please sniff

8. MRTG && NET-SNMP

9. Bad fonts on server - help please.

10. mandrake x font server. please help!

11. SuSE Font Problem. Help please.

12. Default font setup in linux - Please Help me ! -

13. Customizing font for ICQJava - help, please!